HybridZ

Recommendations on auto shop in Texas to do a LS1 conversion?

Guest sigur240z

Guest sigur240z

I am looking to find recommendations on places in Central Texas that can perform a LS1/2 conversion on my '71 240z. I am currently hanging out in Iraq for 15 months and when I get back in 5 months I want to have my car waiting for me. I wanted to do the conversion myself but I know I am not going to have the time once I return to dedicate to the project. The car is located in the Austin area but I can ship it where it needs to go to get done right.

Thanks for the help.

You're kidding right? No respectable auto shop will do an engine swap like that. You're better off using all that leave you're saving up right now and doing the swap yourself.
I'd have to diagree, there are respectable auto shops that will do an engine swap like that; although they may be hard to find.

Maybe John's Cars could do it for you, or recommend someone that can.

http://brokenkitty.com/

I would think a swap like that would be "time and materials". That's how I would do it. I think most shops would do the same. It's hard to put a price on something like that, you just don't know what kind of complications you might run into.

What modifications do you want done? Just an engine/tranny swap or build a whole car....gauges, suspension, interiror, paint/body work...?

Guy

Guest sigur240z

I am looking to do drive train, suspension and brakes. The body and interior are pretty straight so its not a priority. I'll make the little refinements over time.

I could recommend a shop here in Birmingham Al that will do a first class job...and charge you a first class price,if thats what you want.They will be more than happy to locate the drivetrain for you,handle the transport,all the details.But be prepared to PAY.If you have combat pay burning a hole in your pocket,there are any number of shops around the country(I would assume),capable of doing the conversion.Location i.e."central Texas"should not even be a concern to you.The 700-1000 bucks it costs to transport the car will be chicken feed compared to the overall cost of the conversion,so find the shops in the country,not the county,that can do the job.

You see where I'm going here? Any shop willing to do it and do it right will have earned a reputation by doing jobs like this.To do it correctly takes a sharp team of people,and sharp people get paid and get paid well.Joe Schmoe and his brother-in -law get the car and the money and you get what you paid for,crap.

Count on 70 to 100 hours labor minimum@ anywhere from 75 to 100 bucks an hour for competent techs to build your car for you from running L6 to running LS1-2.Add the price of parts from there and "while I'm at it's"and suddenly you got 20k plus in the project.I am sure no-one here wants to slam you,me included,I appreciate what you guys are doing over there,but building the car you are talking about is gonna hurt dat wallet!

Tell me you got the car and 10k to get started and I will seriously get you some names and numbers.Good luck with your project!

Im in VA Beach and there is a local guy who i got to talking to. I was telling him that i was going to put a 350 in mine once i have time and money together. He offered for his shop to do it for the price of 7-9000. that's using a new 'stock' GM 350 and T5 tranny with all the accessories. not to bad really but to much $$ for me :-(

I am looking to find recommendations on places in Central Texas that can perform a LS1/2 conversion on my '71 240z. I am currently hanging out in Iraq for 15 months and when I get back in 5 months I want to have my car waiting for me. I wanted to do the conversion myself but I know I am not going to have the time once I return to dedicate to the project. The car is located in the Austin area but I can ship it where it needs to go to get done right.

Thanks for the help.

Why not see if Johns Cars (JCI) will do it. They did Phantom's car and they sell the LS1 kits and already do lots of Jaguar swaps and they are in Texas.

• 4 weeks later...