HybridZ

No More Clutch Type LSDs!!!!!! (Nismo, Power Brute, etc)

Savage42

After making calls and doing checking for the last 2 weeks, it looks like there are no more clutch type LSDs out there. An earthquake in Japan took out the surplus and damaged tooling at the plant that produces them. Due to the cost and overall low demand for these units, they are saying that they most likely will not retool. I got some of this info from Reider Racing and also checked with the guys Nissan Motorsports. Nismo actually increased their order to an amount that would at least meet the minimum quantity needed to get more produced. The early R180 LSD has been NLA for some time and the later R180 LSDs were on a 4-8 week order (which meant coming from Japan, which means NLA). The R200 LSDs were said to be in stock and would take 3-5 days to get. They are out of stock and said the same thing: "We don't think we will be able to get them again". They also listed for $835, which I was willing to pay (less with the Z club discount), assuming I could even get one.

I thought it would be good for everyone to know what is going on. So, it looks like you have to spend $1200-1500 for a Quaiffe (or other helical type), or hope to find an R230 or '87-89 300ZXT unit. Those who actually got your $495 group buy unit should consider yourselves very lucky! I told the guys at Nismo use their pull & do what they can to get them to reproduce them, as there is demand for them. Let's keep our fingers crossed!

I beleive KAAZ also makes one, its a clutch type, and still cheaper than the Quaife. I know a couple people at KAAZ, so if there is some interest, I may be able to put together a Group Buy to save $100 or so per unit. I'll see what I can do on monday.

BTW, the Quaife I bought is friggen awesome.

I haven't heard much about KAAZ and the little I have heard wasn't all that good. Heck, it's better than nothing at all. I'm not a fan of viscous or helical limited slips, as they just aren't the best for autocross or track. I've seen several guys with Quaiffe LSDs that get incredible amounts of wheelspin on really tight corners, so I like the ability to set a breakaway torque setting on a clutch type unit. Type of unit is determined on what kind of driving (or racing) one is doing.

After checking out the KAAZ site, I like how they recommend changing diff oil every 5000 miles and encourage using their oil (not synthetic). They also note: "A viscous type, torsen type and helical type are some of other designs used as OEM equipment or optional LSD unit. These designs are commonly used since they are less aggressive and easier to maintain than the clutch type racing LSD unit. In order to achieve the maximum traction control, most OEM performance divisions and aftermarket manufactures use the clutch type design for their LSD unit."

Then you have the Nismo unit, http://www.optionimports.com/ni2waylsd892.html which has a can of GTR synthetic gear oil. Things that make you go "hmmmmm".

I'm assuming that the 240SX ('88-94) is the only one that can be used. Is there going to be any issues with CV axles, spline count, etc? In any case, with the KAAZ and Cusco units being in the $900-1000 range, the $495 deal would have been sweet, had they kept building those units! :(

I am now very interested in getting a clutch type LSD. I have have had a very frustrating summer spinning one wheel around most corners using the Q45 R200 VLSD. At first I thought it wasn't working due to it's mileage, so I got another unit with only 50k miles on it and have now "toasted" it as well.

My previous 240Z worked really well with the clutch type LSD. I monitored the temps and never allowed the oil to get above 300F and it served me well for years without a cooler.

So who would you guys recommend I get such a unit from?

I've been keeping an eye out for the last month and there aren't many 300ZX turbo diffs out there, but there is this one that didn't sell on Ebay.

http://tinyurl.com/2fhdqd

Then there is the KAAZ unit for $795 on Ebay.

http://tinyurl.com/yq3xox

I've heard to stay away from the OBX units! They are the cheap version of a Quaiffe.

You might also check with these guys.

http://www.optionimports.com/lsd.html

Quaife diffs work very well in autocross and road racing if the car is setup properly to work with the diff. Unfortunately, most people are unwilling or unable to change their basic suspension setup so, in their opinion, the diff "sucks."

Quaife diffs work very well in autocross and road racing if the car is setup properly to work with the diff. Unfortunately, most people are unwilling or unable to change their basic suspension setup so, in their opinion, the diff "sucks."

That is probably true, but I like the predictable nature of the pre-loaded clutch type, where it does the same thing pretty much all the time. That isn't always the case with the helical units. I've noticed that a light car with lots of power and on slicks has quite a time with inside wheelspin when trying to do a 180 degree turn around a spin cone. ;) I drop the hammer and it's dirt track action. :)

I just contacted Precision Gear (sells the Power Brute line) directly. They told me they had none in stock, but could still get them for the early R180s. They then referred me to Reider Racing to actually place an order. The gentleman at Reider had no information that indicated to him he'd not be able to get the part, and I placed an order. Precision told me there'd be at most a 90 day lead on the part.

So, I'll subscribe to this thread and update when I hear more back.

I just contacted Precision Gear (sells the Power Brute line) directly. They told me they had none in stock, but could still get them for the early R180s. They then referred me to Reider Racing to actually place an order. The gentleman at Reider had no information that indicated to him he'd not be able to get the part, and I placed an order. Precision told me there'd be at most a 90 day lead on the part.

So, I'll subscribe to this thread and update when I hear more back.

Precision Gear and Reider Racing are both owned by Tom Reider, same company with different divisions. They didn't have any R180 LSDs back when the whole group buy thing came together nearly a year ago and they didn't have them back then and were waiting on more. When I talked to them recently, they put me on the list for an R180 LSD, but they didn't think they'd get them again and took my info, just in case one popped up somewhere or there was a return. Didn't sound likely. So, I guess time will tell.

Guest Richie James Dio

hey guys just wanted to ask a question. i'm getting a new clutch for my 280 and wanted to know if i needed any tools that wold help me. i only worked with one clutch but i didn't learn much from that. just wanted to know if u could help a little like and any guiding tools of any sort . thanks guys.