HybridZ

Project unnatural aspiration Part 2

stony

That car is largely unchanged visually from when I initially went and checked it out for Clint over a year ago... Man I love the look... Don't lose the scoop! :2thumbs:

Glad to see you're putting that chassis to good use...

Mike

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congrats. You are off to a good start.

Still sounds like it is taking a long time to spool up. What RPM do you start squeezing the nitrous?

Please tell me you plan on losing that hood scoop :D

I wait till i get 4 psi to build then i hit the nitrous. i tried it once right at the hit of the green and it didnt do as well.

Hood scoop will stay on this car. this car is only a test bed for the drivetrain until i get hte red one finished. dont hold your breath on that >

I wait till i get 4 psi to build then i hit the nitrous. i tried it once right at the hit of the green and it didnt do as well.

Awesome Clint!!!

The car looks/sounds great!!

BTW, I hit the nitrous at around 3400 rpm's to spool the turbo. You don't have to wait until you see x-psi to do so. Just be ready to go, have the car's rpm's coming up and squeeze the button :-)

Mike

Awesome Clint!!!

The car looks/sounds great!!

You don't have to wait until you see x-psi to do so. Just be ready to go, have the car's rpm's coming up and squeeze the button :-)

Mike

What Mike said and you can take it one step further.

If you are using the nitrous just to spool the turbo like me, then invest in an MSD RPM Window switch. Lots of them on ebay for ~$50. Very simple device that requires power, ground and tach signal. You dial in your nitrous ON & OFF RPMs and it provides a ground source at the ON RPM and cuts it off at the OFF. Eliminate the nitrous button and use that ground source for the nitrous relay and get the 12V relay trigger off the t-brake. I have an auxiliary rev limiter for spoolup set to 4800, so I set my ON to 3200 and OFF to 4600 just before the rev limiter. YUP, I only use the nitrous for 1400 RPMs on the t-brake. I footbrake the car to 3000, turn on the 2nd yellow, hit the t-brake which turns on the nitrous and I am on the auxiliary rev limiter before the last yellow with 22psi. No concerns or distractions with watching RPMs or boost or squeezing/releasing a button. In your case, set the ON to 2800-3000 and OFF to 6000 or just before the spoolup rev limiter if you have one. If you dont have one, the nitrous will shut off when you release the t-brake.

Awesome debut and you are well on your way to some stunning performance. GAWD, I wish my car weighed 2300# :D

What Mike said and you can take it one step further.

If you are using the nitrous just to spool the turbo like me, then invest in an MSD RPM Window switch. Lots of them on ebay for ~$50. Very simple device that requires power, ground and tach signal. You dial in your nitrous ON & OFF RPMs and it provides a ground source at the ON RPM and cuts it off at the OFF. Eliminate the nitrous button and use that ground source for the nitrous relay and get the 12V relay trigger off the t-brake. I have an auxiliary rev limiter for spoolup set to 4800, so I set my ON to 3200 and OFF to 4600 just before the rev limiter. YUP, I only use the nitrous for 1400 RPMs on the t-brake. I footbrake the car to 3000, turn on the 2nd yellow, hit the t-brake which turns on the nitrous and I am on the auxiliary rev limiter before the last yellow with 22psi. No concerns or distractions with watching RPMs or boost or squeezing/releasing a button. In your case, set the ON to 2800-3000 and OFF to 6000 or just before the spoolup rev limiter if you have one. If you dont have one, the nitrous will shut off when you release the t-brake.

Awesome debut and you are well on your way to some stunning performance. GAWD, I wish my car weighed 2300# :D

The way mine is activated off of throttle position. Wide open throttle with TB engaged. I was just playing with it to see how it reacts. I was getting braver and braver as the day went hence it going faster with every run. Watching the video I can for sure tell it wants to stall higher I just have to give it more time to do so . This weekend I want to see how high it will stall just sitting on the TB with the nitrous…. Then actually working on timing it with the lights. I’m thinking that I will stage first and as soon as the opposite lane lights the second bulb I will matt it and see if that is enough time to build the boost.

Here is the best slip of the day. Had 3 other runs very close to this one.

60 ft 1.348

330 ft 3.844

1/8 5.966

1/8 mph 115.72

1/4 9.33

1/4 mph 146.53

What do you guys think? is there more in it? After watching videos over and over i was for sure not letting it rev hi enough. sounds like it wanted to stall higher but i didnt give it time. Listen to where i realease the brake compared to the shift point.

Put a 150 shot on that bish, that'll get that turbo spooled quicker.....the 75 shot on mine was still pretty slow to come up......

My nitrous setup is pretty trick, since I'm running the AEM I just setup a 'to-ground' circuit triggered off an input driven by the transbrake button.......basically the transbrake button 'arms' the system

You can then go into the 'nitrous' map on the AEM and set all the parameters up there. I had mine set to go above 33-3400rpms and any amount of positive manifold pressure. I also had it set to shut off the juice once it saw 18psi or so (i didnt want to launch on the spray) For an additive safeguard I also set it to shut off after it saw less than 90% TPS value

It actually has the 100 shot on it now. I have yet to see where the stall is at. I will be testing that this weekend.

Mine is setup with an arm button. the nitrous doesn't activate till it sees 100% throttle open. In the video I'm at like 3/4 throttle most of the time once you hear the rpms start to come up. when you hear the rpm really come up is when i went full open. I was really just trying to watch everything as it comes up and really concentrate on how things are supposed to happen. tried to stage and leave on the green but it was just happening all to quick for me so i just let the other guy go and did everything slow I haven't been on the track in like 6 years so i wanted to get comfortable with the car.

This weekend i should be able to stage and launch it like I'm really racing. I will lite my second bulb first then when the opposite lane lites his i go full throttle on the nitrous that should be enough time to get everything hoppin.

It actually has the 100 shot on it now. I have yet to see where the stall is at. I will be testing that this weekend.

Mine is setup with an arm button. the nitrous doesn't activate till it sees 100% throttle open. In the video I'm at like 3/4 throttle most of the time once you hear the rpms start to come up. when you hear the rpm really come up is when i went full open. I was really just trying to watch everything as it comes up and really concentrate on how things are supposed to happen. tried to stage and leave on the green but it was just happening all to quick for me so i just let the other guy go and did everything slow I haven't been on the track in like 6 years so i wanted to get comfortable with the car.

This weekend i should be able to stage and launch it like I'm really racing. I will lite my second bulb first then when the opposite lane lites his i go full throttle on the nitrous that should be enough time to get everything hoppin.

I'd still go for the 150 shot.....:twisted:

I know what you're saying when you're trying to get the 'feel for the car' I looked like a newb MANY times out there trying to get everything adjusted right and figure out how it all works. Theres SO much more going on than just driving up and dumping the clutch......lol

Tip on the burnout, it looked like you were keeping it in 1st gear....get the tires spinning a bit in 1st and click it down to 2nd and let it eat.....

Good luck on getting your bults lit first, sometimes guys just drive straight up in there, especially if your burnout lasts longer....

That car is largely unchanged visually from when I initially went and checked it out for Clint over a year ago... Man I love the look... Don't lose the scoop! :2thumbs:

Glad to see you're putting that chassis to good use...

Mike

Yea Mike i didnt change anything visually. basically cut out all the v-8 mounting stuff and mounted the rb in it. It was pretty straight forward. I had alot of help with wiring it up.

Heading out in a hour or 2 to the state fair tonight then off to the track sat for some more practice.

I'd still go for the 150 shot.....:twisted:

I know what you're saying when you're trying to get the 'feel for the car' I looked like a newb MANY times out there trying to get everything adjusted right and figure out how it all works. Theres SO much more going on than just driving up and dumping the clutch......lol

Tip on the burnout, it looked like you were keeping it in 1st gear....get the tires spinning a bit in 1st and click it down to 2nd and let it eat.....

Good luck on getting your bults lit first, sometimes guys just drive straight up in there, especially if your burnout lasts longer....

IMO the more sophisticated the setup the harder it is to drive cosistently if your going to be a winner since there is no room for error during the brief launch and WOT period. Lots to think about getting right and the rush of the acceleration becomes and addiction.