HybridZ

Surge Tank Fabrication for the Z, will it work?

Yorgee

Besides the fact that the larger ones are your main fuel line and smaller are return lines, I'd guess there may be some sort of bypass valve inside that allows fuel from the return line to enter the primary feed stream if pressure drops below a certain point. That would be my guess, as I don't see any other way it would work. Use your X-ray vision and look inside! :)

Since I don't have xray vision, I was thining about getting another one and cutting it open. I would prefer to look at a diagram though.

check out that diagram that braap posted. It shows which side should be the inlet and outlet.

Inlets and outlets are not the problem. According to this diagram the fuel needs to be able to flow in from 2 points and out from 2 points.

fuelsys.gif

It seems that this ford surge tank has 2 separate areas inside. I am not positive about this but when I blow through one tube, the air only comes out one of the opposite tubes.

I looked at the diagram that Braap posted but it doesn't really show enough.

Anyone know where I can get a more detailed diagram of this ford unit and how it hooks up?

Someplace there is a photograph of that Bronco II surge tank cut apart. it may be at Zcar.com I don't see anything in my 'favorites' but someone cut one apart and marked up the photo really nice so you could figure it out.

Seem to recall they found the part number, went to the junkyard to find one to cut apart, then satisfied it would work, bought a new one. That scenario was what I was basing my recomendations on in the past. It will be a bummer if these parts are going to be NLA... As you can see it's a nice piece.

Someplace there is a photograph of that Bronco II surge tank cut apart. it may be at Zcar.com I don't see anything in my 'favorites' but someone cut one apart and marked up the photo really nice so you could figure it out.

Seem to recall they found the part number, went to the junkyard to find one to cut apart, then satisfied it would work, bought a new one. That scenario was what I was basing my recomendations on in the past. It will be a bummer if these parts are going to be NLA... As you can see it's a nice piece.

I would love to see that photo. I did a search at Zcar but didn't find it. Let me know if you can track it down.

Looks nice, but it says it can only withstand up to 15 psi, you would need it to withstand more than that for Fuel Injection.

Not if you fed it with a low pressure pump and then put the high pressure pump between it and the FPR or the fuel rail.

• Administrators

I tried one of those cheapo garbage fuel filters, (in the capacity of a fuel filter), on my race car and it leaked big time. No matter what I did, including trying an alternate square O-ring, polished the sealing surfaces, tried different torque values on the bolt, etc. (The Fram version is the same part). It always leaked a steady stream, so I gave up on that cheap POS and spent $70 I think it was back then, for a real billet aluminum fuel filter that does not leak. I strongly feel that you get what you pay for, and when it comes to fuel supply components, it isn’t worth the safety and fire risks to skimp using the least expensive parts.

Back to Surge tanks.

When I was researching surge tanks and came up empty handed, I found these really nice quality billet aluminum Transmission catch cans made by CSR. They are filled with a semi woven plastic mesh to reduce slosh. I spent several hours using a dental pick removing the mesh not knowing for sure if that material was compatible with fuel. This can has two 1/8” NPT fittings on the top and one 1/8” NPT fitting in the bottom. There is enough material to drill and tap the holes bigger to 1/4” NPT if need be. I never got around to installing mine in the race car, though I will use it on project FUZZY as a fuel surge tank. I did plug the ports and installed a schrader valve and pressurized it to 125 PSI and submerged it in a tub of water, no leaks. We also just ordered another one that a customer is going to use as his coolant overflow catch can in his Z car. This catch can is a very attractive piece and comes with a really nice mounting clamp as well. For the quality and aesthetics of this part, the price is quite reasonable.

Capacity: 1 pint,

Length: 4.875" in.

Diameter: 3.000" in.

CSR Catch can at SUMMITracing.com

csi-851_w.jpg

csi-850_w.jpg

Thanks for the link. I ordered one up.

$28 shipped would be a great deal! Earlier this summer I went with the Australian surge tank for just under $100 delivered.

http://www.tweakit.net/shop/product_info.php?currency=USD&products_id=126

I hated to spend that much, but in all fairness it was well built and mounted quite easily. I went with the one with the mounting tabs on the top and mounted it just in front of the gas tank. Since installing it I haven't had to do a thing with it. Just as it should be :)

• 2 years later...

Did anyone tried the below bronco set up? Thoughts on it?

http://bcbroncos.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=131_108&products_id=119

I searched Zcar also. I found a link to a supplier to the Bronco cult. They used to have these "surge tanks" but no longer, they now have this:

http://bcbroncos.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=131_108&products_id=119