HybridZ

Big Game rifle hunting this afternoon (graphic)

BRAAP

• Administrators

Big Game rifle hunting this afternoon (graphic)

HAHA.. I bet you all opened this up truly expecting graphic pictures of BIG game hunting huh? :lmao: Well, I did do a little hunting, sort of, but not big game. Just taking a break from working in the shop to enjoy one of my other hobbies, "Adult Air Rifles". Today, plinking spiders in the pasture with the .22 cal PCP, (Pre Charged Pneumatic). I know, its weird to actually take time out of the day to shoot spiders, but it is relaxing and more like casual plinking. gh.gif In the past I would hunt sewer rats in one of the local dairy farms from time to time, highly entertaining. Got some great graphic pics of our take from a few of our Rat Safaris. Also have some neat "through the scope" pics of various targets.

Rifle for todays plinking session;

Air Arms S-200-B Pre Charged Pneumatic Target Air Rifle, .22 cal, 10 shot magazine, 40 shots per fill at a muzzle velocity of 712 FPS with JSB Exacts over my chronograph. Scope is a Bushnell Legend, 5-15x40 A/O Mil-Dot. Pellet; this particular AA S-200-B prefers JSB Exacts, though also shoots Beeman FTS, (aka Field Target Specials), accurately as well.

AA S-200-B rifle

Legend Scope

Game;

Usually starlings, sewer rats 9”-12” in length not measuring the tails, spiders, paper targets, little green army men, Barbie, stuffed BARNEY toys, other misc plinking targets!

Today’s game, “spiders”! Range to targets, 12 yards. Scope is zeroed for 30 yards, cross over is at 12 yards, perfect for hunting spiders in the pasture. This particular spider was hanging off the front of my Z-31 parts car behind the barn...

aa200badj.jpg

"Target acquired, 12 yards range..."

SPidyLarge.jpg

"One shot, one kill.. Remians of target"

Guts.Large.jpg

Yee haaa... :lmao:

looks LIKE fun, but Ill bet rats are more fun and satisfiying simply because you get to see something hit vs splatered

you can come over here when your bored , we have a few spiders in fla.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/BODY_IN017

DSC00513.JPG

http://search.myway.com/search/AJmain.jhtml?qid=9506FAFF533C6001A7F8B1B581123172&pg=AJmain&ord=21&action=click&searchfor=Banana+Spider+Florida&tpr=jrel3&p=AJmain&st=kwd&ptnrS=DE&ct=RR&cb=DE

personally I use the engine starter fluid and cigarette lighter approach to flamethrower the little #$%^%^&*.....can,t stand having them crawl around in the garage

• Administrators

EEWWW… That pic gave me the eeby jeebies..

Yes sir the rats are WAY more fun.

At night, button activated tactical lights on our rifles, literally thousands of rats in the multiple barns on this dairy farm, (over a 1000 head of cattle). We just listen for the squeaking.. pull the rifle up to your shoulder, position your head for a good site picture, (its almost pitch black), squeeze the tactical light button.. you now have approx 1-3 seconds to get your shot off before they run startled from the light. We use RED lights to preserve our night vision and the red makes it easy as you just have to put the cross hairs directly between the red dots, (the rats eyes glowing red from the light), and squeeze off your shot. YEE HAAA!!! … Before we take ANY shot, we make absolutely sure of our back drop as we are shooting amongst the cattle in the barns, i.e. don’t shoot the friendlies.. Typical range is between 2 feet and 15 yards to target, sometimes as much as 20 yards to target. We usually come out with between 40-60 rats on a hunt between the two of us. Every once in while we’ll get a mouse as well. Mice are VERY hard targets to hit as they are quick and always moving. Got some GREAT stories from our rat safaris.

One of which is my hunting partner, a good friend from Iceland, decided to go on one of our hunts in shorts, tennis shoes and booty socks. Normally we go wearing heavy pants/Car-harts, boots, long sleeve shirts, etc. Tennis shoes and booty socks is not a good combo, (and he proved it this night), as on a regular basis the rats will run towards us and up over our feet! A very oogy feeling when they do that as you don’t know if they are going to climb up your leg or not, thank goodness they have never done that, they just run over our boots and scurry on. Any how, this night started out as any other rat safari, RATS everywhere. My partner, Bruce, takes a shot at a rat down a narrow board walk and wounds this rat and it runs toward us. Common practice is try and stomp on it as it runs past to kill it. Well he tried to stomp on its head, missed its head and stomped on its ass. The rat not liking having its ass pinned to the board walk with a Nike, reared up and bit him on the ankle!!! He let up and got another shot off killing that rat. I grabbed a quick picture of the rat and my partners bite, (as a momento/reminder of why we should wear to BOOTS!). That hunt ended quickly that night as I bagged the dead biting rat and drove my wounded partner to the ER driving at Mach speed in the Q-45. We arrive at St Vincent’s ER in Beaverton at midnight where the staff that night had a good laugh over the Icelandic Rat Dancer stepping on his dance partner. :lmao: They didn’t need the rat to check for Rabies, so it was tossed in the trash, they cleaned his wound and told him that no reported cased of rabies from a rat bite have been documented in the PCNW, but infections are common, so they cleand the bite real good gave him some antibiotics.

Any how, Rat Safaris are a GOOD time for sure..

“A few RATS…”

Rats1Medium.jpg

“The infamous Rat bite…”

TheBITEMedium.jpg

“A couple of my other Adult Air guns in full Rat Tactical trim.. “

RatRigsMedium.jpg

I like to shoot then aim.

Although, I'm a firm believer in the "One shot, One kill" philosophy, I like the comfort of knowing I have the capacity to make a follow-up shot... or two... or two hundred... AND, it's a .22 as well... ;)

M15-A3-BetaCMag-Zeiss20x-Mildot.jpg

For "close-up" work:

M15-A2-M4-surefirem500-trijiconreflex2-collapsiblestock-magpull.jpg

And, when you REALLY need to reach out and touch something:

Rem-700PSS.jpg

• Administrators
Although, I'm a firm believer in the "One shot, One kill" philosophy, I like the comfort of knowing I have the capacity to make a follow-up shot... or two... or two hundred... AND, it's a .22 as well... ;)

Very cool. Nice equipment you have there..

I added the 10 shot rotary magazine option to my S-200-B, and with the bolt action, allows for rapid follow up shots. Just flick the bolt… shoot, flick the bolt… shoot…, just like a bolt action powder burner rifle. I keep another 3 magazines full and ready for quick changing. Though once those 40 shots are done, it is time to pump up the air chamber and reload the magazines which is not so quick.

I think one of the high end air gun manufactures offers a semi auto pellet gun for those who prefer to spray.

Another benefit of this a particular model is the report. Barely louder than a mouse fart. The trigger mechanism is louder than the report so it doesn’t “alert” the other prey in a crowded area allowing for a few follow up shots before they rest of the survivors figure out what is going on. Nice for starlings as they startle easily.

MAgazinepic.jpg

"And now.... to skin the beast...."

EEwww.. Negative captain. We just round them up and toss them in garbage...

Here is another nights take…

RatpileMedium.jpg

LengthSmall.jpg

I must be getting kinder and gentler in my old age... Found a rather large arachnid in the woodpile earlier this week and I hit it with the flat side of the shovel I had, just to stun it... I pulled it out onto the concrete to measure it because I was amazed at the size... turned out to be 2.5 inches long and 1.75 inches WIDE... With 2.5 inch long legs... All 8 of them! Sadly, the hit did more damage than I'd expected...It died... But I'm here to tell you that WOLF spiders can get VERY large in Virginia... I'd have sworn it was a tarantula, had I not known I was in Virginia.

Mike

• Administrators
I must be getting kinder and gentler in my old age... Found a rather large arachnid in the woodpile earlier this week and I hit it with the flat side of the shovel I had, just to stun it... I pulled it out onto the concrete to measure it because I was amazed at the size... turned out to be 2.5 inches long and 1.75 inches WIDE... With 2.5 inch long legs... All 8 of them! Sadly, the hit did more damage than I'd expected...It died... But I'm here to tell you that WOLF spiders can get VERY large in Virginia... I'd have sworn it was a tarantula, had I not known I was in Virginia.

Mike

(full body chill….).. “Huge by large” spiders are scary and wrong..

Are those Wolf spiders very common where you live Mike?

(full body chill….).. “Huge by large†spiders are scary and wrong..

Are those Wolf spiders very common where you live Mike?

They're very common, but not in the economy GI-HUGE size! :shock:

I've seen some big damned spiders in my day, and I'm no fan of them in general, but they do a wonderful job of keeping down the bug population, so I tend to just steer clear of them when outside... It's when they get "inside" that the game gets serious...:lmao:

Mike