HybridZ

Chassis stiffening & rust removal

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to share pics on how the engine sits with the new mounts.

IMG_0240.JPG

IMG_0245.JPG

IMG_0249.JPG

Fabbed up an aluminum radiator mount.

IMG_0246.JPG

Iv'e got about and inch of room from engine to firewall.

IMG_0251.JPG

I swear I had about 1/16 th of a inch between the STB and intake manifold when I fabbed it. Now after I installed the engine it touches a little bit! So im saying F*** it, unless theres a good reason to alter it.

IMG_0241.JPG

I think I got lucky AGAIN, the shifter lined up perfectly with the seat and steering wheel!

IMG_0237.JPG

I need to finish my rear brakes and that pretty much covers it for this section. Can't wait to drive it again!

IMG_0260.JPG

Sorry fellas.

There's gotta be an easier way than uploading them on hybridz...

i use photobucket.com for hosting images.

since your frame rail was twisted, was your front end bent as well? if so, did you just bend it back? my 240z has a bent frame rail, so im trying to see what other people did to fix it.

i use photobucket.com for hosting images.

since your frame rail was twisted, was your front end bent as well? if so, did you just bend it back? my 240z has a bent frame rail, so im trying to see what other people did to fix it.

By front end are you talking about the fender wells and upper frame rail? if you are, then yeah they were slightly out of shape. Once I started to weld new staright peices on I used a hammer and dolly to straighten them back up. It's pretty easy to see what needs to happen once you get into it.

The driver side attachment is a little longer, that's just that way it would clear the engine from touching the bottom of the bar.

Here's a close up pic. The bar is touching the core/freeze plug, I don't even know why its evevn there, Cleaning? Anyway, I was thinking, the manifold is two peice so I could remove it and cut the plug out and fill & grind it flush. Good or bad idea to remove plug?

IMG_0241.JPG

wow-You have done a lot of great work-

I'm curious, did you reinforce the firewall, or does the cage continue on the other side of the firewall in the cabin? I just get freaked when I see a new pipe lined up that could remotely, in the case of an impact, would be in line skewer you. I guess it's not long enough-although--Structurally, what's the idea behind those two firewall running pieces? stiffen the towers, or protection?

what's the plan with your accellerator linkage?

Oh- I'm no expert- just a guy with questions.

• 2 months later...

I was under my Friend's 350Z the other day and I noticed it had a tubular member that connected one rocker to 2 suspension mounting points then back to the other rocker. It looked like a great way to stiffen up the front of the rockers and chassis so I went ahead and tried to make somthing similar with my car.

On the rear of the car, I was hacking the spare tire well out and I saw that there was a big boxed member under my STB. If i had realized this before I would have triangulated that area a long time ago! So i went ahead and did that with the same material I used for my front STB.

Onto the subject of stiffening the rear frame, i'm currently installing a fuel cell and i'm still stuck on designing the frame for the cell. I've seen different setups where the fuel cell frame connects from side to side on the frame rails, and some setups that connect from front to back also on the frame.

I know both setups are strong enough to hold the fuel cell safely, my question is which setup would also help the ridgidity of the stock frame rails?

IMG_0690.JPG

IMG_0715.JPG

IMG_0689.JPG

IMG_0706.JPG

IMG_0701.JPG

I think strengthening the rails behind the strut towers is not the best idea. There is no suspension attaching back there, and that area will function as a crumple zone in an impact (I can dig up some pics if you want to see what happens when a Firebird rear ends a Z at 50 mph, the jist is the back end pushes in about a foot). You could make a really strong frame if you wanted, but it serves no real purpose.

I had my fuel cell frame front to back and cut it out and switched it side to side after 2manyZ's pointed out that any contact in the rear was going to mess up the cell and possibly the frame rail that does locate the suspension. Side to side makes more sense in my opinion.