HybridZ

Battery relocation and ground points.

rxKaffee

I have come to realize, that a biggest problem with my current electrical system is the rusted grounds, and corroded battery cables(big surprise? :P).

And like all of these zx's... my battery tray is completely rusted. So I'm thinking I will re-locate the battery somewhere out of the engine bay since I'm rewireing and busting out the tray. It should free up a little more room for when a V8 goes in :-D.

I've got a nice little plastic battery box with lid that I'm going to tap at the bottom for a silicone hose that will hang out underneath the body of the car. I think this should be sufficient for keeping the fumes out of the cabin.

The big question is... Where should I put it?

I'd like to not just toss it in the hatch, as thats a big chunk of weight to be so high up. I've been thinking about the passenger side spare tire well, but its got a fist sized hole from rust in the bottom that I haven't fixed yet. If it comes down to it, I guess I could sacrifice one of the behind-seat storage bins.

Toss me some location ideas, and I'll tackle the ground-points part later :)

rx

Well the immediate problem with the stock location is the severe rusting of the tray. Probably enough that a hard stop would break the battery loose of it. Definetly enough that I want to get that rust out of the engine bay so it doesn't spread. And it will definetly be in the way of plans that I have for the v8 conversion. I don't have the welding resources right now to reconstruct the tray.

I'm thinking about passenger floorboard, pushed as close to the firewall as possible, right in the middle. It looks to go back pretty deep, but then again I don't have a seat over there right now to see just how much legroom it would kill. If I put it there, it will be running the longest part of the battery in parallel with the driveshaft, so the passenger could straddle it with their feet if its too long.

rx

Unless you have a battery leak, I'm not sure why progression of rust in the engine compartment would be a problem. if you want to de-rust the engine compartment, you'll have to do it regardless of whether you move the battery. My vote is to clean it up, have a welding shop replace the old platform, get another plastic battery tray to replace the original, and leave the battery where it is. It's pretty convenient there. I'd much rather have a battery outside the passenger compartment!

I also went with the Optima battery in a plastic box in the spare tire spot. It had a little rust which I fixed with some por-15. I also had to get about 21 feet of 0 size positive cable(to get to the starter) from a trailer supply shop. There are some good spots to attach a ground cable to, some bolts that go right to the frame. And I also welded a flat piece of sheet metal to put the battery on, although I could have welded it a little bit lower.

I also went with the Optima battery in a plastic box in the spare tire spot. It had a little rust which I fixed with some por-15. I also had to get about 21 feet of 0 size positive cable(to get to the starter) from a trailer supply shop. There are some good spots to attach a ground cable to, some bolts that go right to the frame. And I also welded a flat piece of sheet metal to put the battery on, although I could have welded it a little bit lower.

Got any pics?

Also, did you run your positive cable under the car, or through the passenger compartment?

I'm thinking of doing this next year, but just with a conventional lead acid battery (will be broke after turbo swap).

I've already got a 5 guage cable running through the passenger compartment to my amp in the hatch, so wiring shouldn't be hard.

here's the taylor battery box. one of the studs goes through the framerail. the neg cable goes through a grommet in the floor and grounds to the same framerail.

battboxbw8.th.jpg

here's the back of the cutoff switch. from the switch it runs through the car with a 2 gauge wire through the firewall to a terminal block

switchbackyj7.th.jpg

here's the cut off switch from the outside

battcutoffir7.th.jpg

and here's the terminal block. has to spots for 0-2 gauge (one in, one out) and 4 for 6-8 gauge (for accessories). it's not all wired yet. oh, and see that rusty stuff? from a leaky water pump. that S#it does NOT want to go away!

terminalbr4.th.jpg

I was thinking or relocating my battery too. My fuel tank has some deep scrapes and needs to be replacedin the near future, I am looking for a shorter tank so I can fabricate a battery storage below the rear cargo deck. I want to keep the battery as close to centerline as possible in my 83 280ZX 2+2 so the battery weight could be evenly distributed. If you don't care about uneven weight, there is room to fabricate the same box with the OEM fuel tank in place by the left rear behind the wheel on my 280ZX.

Just a suggestion.