HybridZ

Easy way to get the car on the rotisserie!

JMortensen

If you've ever tried to do this job with a floor jack, jack stands, and a bunch of wood, you know it's a big PITA and can be downright scary at times.

When I had to get the car off the rotisserie to move it to the new house I used a cherry picker and attached it to the core support. Worked great, but me and a buddy had to lower the back down with 2 jacks while a 3rd guy lowered the front. Even though it was MUCH better than when I originally put the thing up on the rotisserie it was still a little sketchy.

So I finally determined that the way to do this job is to use a cherry picker on both ends with load levelers. As it happens, this works really well, is not scary at all, and I was able to do it myself without having to wait for a buddy to get off of work.

This time I hooked the cherry picker right to the rotisserie bracket in the front, and I welded a couple nuts into the rotisserie bracket in the back so I could hook it up there as well. Really easy, just lifted one end off the ground and leveled it with the load leveler, then did the same on the other end, then progressively lifted it up a bit at a time on each end until I could slide the stands under.

I tried to take a bunch of pics, but my damn camera was out of batteries. I got this one:

DSCN1993.jpg

And then later I had some batteries charged enough to take some more, but I had already taken the cherry pickers off, so I took this one and then figured there were enough other pics of cars on rotisseries that I didn't need to take any more:

DSCN1994.jpg

good call. i had to man handel mine to get it on there. bare frame thought no suspension. would not have even contemplated if that stuff was on there. jon, i see that your suspension is on and car is on rotis. i thought that that would be a no-no. was that just temporary or have they been on for a while and if so, have you seen any problems?

jimbo

I normally don't have the wheels on, they're just on there because that's how the car was when I picked it up off of the ground. As to the suspension, I've had it on there with varying levels of suspension installed for several years, so no problems there.

With the wheels on it's pretty hard to manhandle the car around, quite a bit easier to spin it without them...

Well it hasn't tipped over yet and I've climbed into the car with it on the stands many many times. I would not suggest that the car be used as a jungle gym when on the rotisserie. But if you're just spinning the car around slowly or sitting in it to weld something, etc, I don't feel that it is very dangerous at all. Possibly my danger threshold is lower than others'. If someone wanted to use engine stands and make it sturdier all that would have to be done is to slide a piece of tubing through the rear tubes of the engine stands, maybe extending another foot or two on each side to prevent it from tipping. I'm finishing the cage and painting the thing and that's it, so for those purposes I won't bother with beefing up the stands.

• 3 weeks later...
But if you're just spinning the car around slowly or sitting in it to weld something, etc, I don't feel that it is very dangerous at all.

you could always just pile rubber tires underneath the car so that it stays put when working inside if it's on the roti. heck, even some jack stands on either side, if you've got some 6 or 12 tons. =)

not a big deal. some people are just too scared :P

• 1 year later...

This was a great idea Jon, firstly how you made your rotisserie (I copied what you did) but also how you put it into position, worked like a charm, just made the rotisserie from 900kg engine stands and added some gussets so connect up the engine stand, set it for 500kg's and put on the rotisserie in about 15mins by myself!

Well done mate!!!

04122008409640x480.jpg

04122008410640x480.jpg

04122008411640x480.jpg