HybridZ

how much horsepower is enough?or what does it take to scare you?

randy 77zt

my z has been a work in progress for years.currently it has a 3.0l stroker/60-1 turbo,megasquirted+supporting mods engine.current datalogs show its calculated hp to be about 350-working on more always.i have been lucky enough to have a few other toys that are very fast and seem to get my attention while driving them.the z seems to always need more work.so i did some math on my motorcycle.it dynoed at 130 at the wheel.weighs 500lbs.-not exactly new suzuki gsxr1000 type stuff but it runs good.turns out i am showing 3.85lbs/hp on the bike.my car is heavy for a z-2650 but its a 77 with ac.did the math-i need 688 hp at the wheels if i want the car to run like the bike.my addiction will never end.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, it is hard to make a car perform with any of the modern bikes. What are you ridding? Is it a TLR, ZRX1100, or something like that? It sounds like you are in the same horsepower range as my TLS. It's not an R1 but it still is fun.

I am hoping to have 400+ RWHP in the Z when I am done. I am hoping that will fill the need for a little while. Who know, though. You can never have enough HP. ;)

I think you reach "enough" horsepower until you get bored with it and it doesn't excite you like it did before. Then you look to get more horsepower to excite you like it did the first time. It's like a bad drug addiction, it's alright until the high isn't as good as the first time and then the 'I need more' kicks in.

There is never enough horsepower! I rode in AMS shop Evo with 800awhp and from third gear roll I got tunnel vision! My 06 gixxer 750 makes 131whp and that thing is freaking slow... I just rode 05 turbo hayabusa that makes 310whp (260whp for me) and now that thing was so freaking awesome that I want one so bad right now!

Ivo

Guest da-man (is not!)
Yeah, it is hard to make a car perform with any of the modern bikes. What are you ridding? Is it a TLR, ZRX1100, or something like that? It sounds like you are in the same horsepower range as my TLS. It's not an R1 but it still is fun.

I am hoping to have 400+ RWHP in the Z when I am done. I am hoping that will fill the need for a little while. Who know, though. You can never have enough HP. ;)

he said he's on a GSXR1000, and at 130hp and 500 pounds, I'd say it's a mid-90's bike, at the newest.

I'm coming off bikes as well (see me in the pic below) and I've done the smae math equation for my car....

unfortunately, it isn't a linear scale. I'm no Mathemetician, but I think they call it logorithmic, or something. In other words: If your bike weighed TWICE what it does now, it'd take alot more than TWICE the HP to make it accelerate as hard.

Then there's a thing called "frontal area"....... :icon56:

this is me on Miguel's FX bike, less than 3 weeks after he rode it in the '06 Daytona 200. He and Jake Zemke were kind enough to let me ride both of their bikes to see the difference in their setup.

DAN.jpg

Guest da-man (is not!)

Yeah, I just re-read your original post and saw where I misread your statement.

That FZ1 is a sweeet ride though. I've done plenty of flogging of those on the race-track.... (never owned one though)

while it's no true "racebike", it's still fun.

You can NEVER have too much power, but I think a lot of people (including myself) get way too caught up in "I want 1,000 hp so I can be faster then such and such"

Just remember there will always be somebody faster. You need to decide what your overall goal for the car is. Once you get to a certain point IMO a car becomes obnoxious to drive around everyday and just looses alot of the fun of driving.

I just took out my 400+ hp L28 (which I beat an 03 Ninja 636 with) and to be honest I cant wait to get my 240hp VQ35 up and running. It will be a treat to have a car that will be fun to drive and I can wind it out and enjoy a nice mountain drive.

But to answer your question, I have ridden in a 1800lb convertible with 700hp and that SCARED me. It might have been because it didn't really have seat belts and my head was above the windshield though!!

Guest da-man (is not!)

I just took out my 400+ hp L28 (which I beat an 03 Ninja 636 with) ......

In what sort of race? An unmodified '03 636 is very capable of 1/4 mile times in the 10 seconds.

I've said it 100 times: on a bike, 90% is the rider, 10% is the bike. In a car, 10% is the driver, 90% is the car.

I have ridden in a 1800lb convertible with 700hp and that SCARED me. It might have been because it didn't really have seat belts and my head was above the windshield though!!

Austin - care to share what car that was?

I would be happy with 350whp on my 280Z

and 450whp on my 280ZXT

Tim's 630whp 280Z must be mind numbing!

That BMW hill Climb video gave me dry hands! WOW!

Yasin

da-man - He would have whooped me from a stop, we raced from 40-140 on the interstate :) Nice pull for a turbo car, still a super close race I won by a car or two. I ride a suzuki gsxr-600 with a 750 engine which I road race... and you said it perfect thats why I love racing bikes, its all about the rider I go out to the track to see what I can do, not the bike.

Slownrusty - It was a Lister built by Muscle motorsports with a Cup motor in it. Very scary ride... last time I was in there he was building a 1200hp one.

Guest da-man (is not!)
da-man - He would have whooped me from a stop, we raced from 40-140 on the interstate :) Nice pull for a turbo car, still a super close race I won by a car or two. I ride a suzuki gsxr-600 with a 750 engine which I road race... and you said it perfect thats why I love racing bikes, its all about the rider I go out to the track to see what I can do, not the bike.

ohhh.... now I see! I'm with ya.

Guest Crispy Chicken

[quote=

I just took out my 400+ hp L28 (which I beat an 03 Ninja 636 with) quote]

Thats pretty good!! My buddy runs 10.50's 10.60's with his pretty much bone stock 636 at moroso!!!!