HybridZ

rb or 2jz?

DrEaM

i've just now started wondering...... especially after seeing that supra powered z going against that ferrari 430 on autoblog.com a month ago and now on this site which engine swap is cheaper/easier to do? they sell the engine swap kits for the rb.. and suposedly it (supra motor) just drops in with little modification in the 240-280z so i'm wondering which is the better swap? i'm going to be posting this in both forums so i can hopefully get an unbiased opionion..

i'm looking for something i can drive daily and thats also cost effective

Neither is a drop in /easy fit. Both take lots of fabrication and lots of money.

Both are talked about extensively on this forum Please look around.

My opinion if i had to do it again would be 2jz but the parts availablility for the rb is getting better

I was going through the same dilemma but i think the 2j takes it. The rb is tough on parts and with the oiling issue it scares me, having spent so much money swapping it in and having it blow, blows. i think the rb without awd comes short if compared to the 2j.

i know i'm going to have to modify alot to drop an rb in or whatever but i've had my mind set on an rb25 for the past year.. and now when there are engine and trans mount kits out it seems like the 2jz is starting to seem more and more like it would be the way to go but i'm still not sure price wise i'll prol be spending the same amount of money but performance wise i'm lookong for reliability and around 400whp MAX but who knows you can never have too much power, whether or not i'll be able to use it is another story

yeah i think i'll be checking out how to add a better oil system.. that seems to be the only real argument against the toyota motor, besides the steering rod issue but so many people have done the swap b4, i don't see how thats as big of an issue as its made out to be

its not that big of an issue.

In any case, either engine has it's shortcomings when being fit into a car that is 30 years old.

If you can find a 2JZ for a good price with everything included, it's a heck of a motor. If you find that for a good 2JZ, the price is too much, then get the RB25 or the 1JZ. They cost about the same and some would say the 1JZ is an all around better motor than the RB25, especially for the 400whp level. So really it's a matter of what engine you would like to build, or have experience with. Or what you can find for a good price.

And in the case of the RB engine, all you REALLY need to do is make a good oil sump system or have someone make one for you (or cut one off a performance v8 pan and have someone custom weld it onto the front of an RB pan if you can work with the design). You also have to add the crank collar if you wanna keep the oil pump drive intact for a long period of time.

The head drain mod is not that important to some top RB builders in japan, and neither is the oil restrict or mod, believe it or not. But that's not a big issue for me either. I would change the headgasket and the head bolts to head studs upon getting the engine to fire up. And at that point, I would just get a copper mig welding gun tip and cut it in half and put it in the restrictor hole. It's just oversized, so you might have to sand it for a couple of minutes, and you will have to pick the proper hole sizing for your application. But I'm going to go with something in between 1.25 and 1.5 mm. I think one of my gun tips is in that range, so ... problem solved =)

any love for the 7mgte? its a cheap and reliable motor, very easy to get a hold of too. i would vote for the 2jz, as the exhaust is away from the steering/brake master. i think that the extra displacement would help achieve the horsepower level you are looking for easier than the RB. plus, the service manuals are in english, which can't hurt ;)

any love for the 7mgte? its a cheap and reliable motor, very easy to get a hold of too. i would vote for the 2jz, as the exhaust is away from the steering/brake master. i think that the extra displacement would help achieve the horsepower level you are looking for easier than the RB. plus, the service manuals are in english, which can't hurt ;)

Clifton has a great example of this motor swap. Another important consideration is whether you want AC or not. The 7mgte has a great location for AC.

Again the question of whether the RB or 2JZ are better...

What you need to understand is that both are great engines, and both will easily get to 400whp.

Both are expensive and will require about the same work to get them in a S30 chassis.

Now a days if you really want you can get any parts for any engine anywhere. As far as I know the parts for both of these engines are expensive. And that's because they are high quality engines.

What the question should be is to ask yourself which one you like better. Fall in love with one and swap that one in your car. You'll be happy with it.

as the exhaust is away from the steering/brake master.
lol that is a relative comment you see those of us which have the steering wheel on the other size don't have these issues with the RB engine and there is more room for the L series too :wink:

lol that is a relative comment you see those of us which have the steering wheel on the other size don't have these issues with the RB engine and there is more room for the L series too :wink:

Damn kiwi's always gotta brag. LOL :-P

Even so, there are plenty of people here who have the steering issue solved. Don't take it to heart if you want an RB and are concerned about the steering column. It's been solved one way or another.

you should do more searching if you're really going to consider this swap.

Everything your asking has been asked before, as well as answered. The steering shaft issue has been solved on every car with an RB and Left-hand drive, so that is not an issue to worry about. Common sense prevails, and take regular precaution and do some test-fitting. Not a big deal.

The AC has been installed in at least one known swap as well, so yes, it is possible. There is not that much information on it though, and you'll have to find out who did it and ask them questions. I'm sure they'll be helpful. Everyone on HybridZ is, for the most part.

As for the other information you seek, I know it's there if you look because the same question has been asked before. RB vs. 2JZ is as opinionated as Chevy vs. Ford. If you can get them for the same price, both with RWD Transmissions, flip a coin if you can't make a decision.

my bad if i couldn't find it but i did use the search function to try and find the steering issue but i guess i didn't use specific enough wording i guess i'll try and look again.................

I'm sorry if I didn't point out what you might find within your searches.

you'll find a lot of information about the 2JZ as well as the RB engines.

As for the steering issue, it's not a big issue, therefore it hasn't been covered much other than the power steering transplants in the other technical forum sections. Like I said, many have installed the RB engines in the S30, all without complaints about the steering column, so you shouldn't worry about it.

The AC is something you will run into problems with trying to adapt and fit, but again, it might not be that hard. And you could always use an aftermarket system like Vintage Air products, as someone mentioned in another thread.

All in all, what I'm saying is don't let the steering rack issue become bigger than it actually is, because it's been solved numerous times. There's probably nothing to even solve, considering no one has made any comments on it.

I'm sorry if I didn't point out what you might find within your searches.

you'll find a lot of information about the 2JZ as well as the RB engines.

As for the steering issue, it's not a big issue, therefore it hasn't been covered much other than the power steering transplants in the other technical forum sections. Like I said, many have installed the RB engines in the S30, all without complaints about the steering column, so you shouldn't worry about it.

The AC is something you will run into problems with trying to adapt and fit, but again, it might not be that hard. And you could always use an aftermarket system like Vintage Air products, as someone mentioned in another thread.

All in all, what I'm saying is don't let the steering rack issue become bigger than it actually is, because it's been solved numerous times. There's probably nothing to even solve, considering no one has made any comments on it.

Not sure where the steering issue came from but it is not an issue at all. You have to make you own mounts and your own downpipe there are no bolt ons

yeah i've been really unsure about the whole steering rack issue.. the main thing that i do see getting in the way of things is the a/c compressor. i know i could probly just frabricate a new compressor mount or go the whole vintage air route..