HybridZ

know any 510 forums ?

nbesheer

Hey we need to stick together lol. Any mods you've done to it ? My friend just got a 71 4 door. We are in the process of swapping Datsun 710 Seats in then we're going to try and get a Datsun 710 Dash in there.

You'd have to double check me on this, but I think the 710 front control arms are longer, so if that's right that's a good way to get some neg camber up front. Just saying because 710's are pretty hard to come by, and you must have found one...

Hey we need to stick together lol. Any mods you've done to it ? My friend just got a 71 4 door. We are in the process of swapping Datsun 710 Seats in then we're going to try and get a Datsun 710 Dash in there.

ya, hers is a 71 4dr too. :) did you know the 4dr and the 2dr weight the same? anyway, only mod so far is installing a 3 3/4 sunpro tach on the column

I did not know they weigh the same, but I heard that the 2dr has larger doors so that might make up for the difference, Anyways I' putting in the driver side seat right now. What did you have to do for the tach ? Perhaps this should be moved to PM unless the admins don't mind.

Hey guys,

I own 2 510s and a parts car too. I have always had at least 1 510 since 1987. The 510 is my first love even over my Z car.

There is a 510 internet email list known as the Bluebirds List. It is not in a forum setup, it is an email list. We have over 400 members and I usually receive about 10-20 emails a day from it. We get answers to lots of 510 related questions from some serious 510 gurus. Unfortunately the server is down right now and the admin is away for business so you can't subscribe right now. PM me for more info.

New_510_031.jpg

Parts_for_sale_new_wheels_bike_for_sale_006.jpg

These are my 2 510s.

I really really want to build an ej-22 510. Once I finish my Z I am going to do it and shut up the nay-sayers

So would you go all the way and make it an AWD? I want to hear more about this project idea.

I thought it would be cool to use the VQ35 and underpinnings from an AWD G35x.

The Bluebird list is all there is. DQ's forum has failed to catch on. The DQ newsletter remains pretty good. Nissan pulled the plug on parts and zero aftermarket exists, just what interchanges with Z cars. 710s are much worse in this regard. The big summer Shasta get together that was mostly 510s is all gone, 510s are fading fast. The Bluebird list is pretty cliquish, you gotta take crap from the Oregon Shrek or you will be kicked off. Been there, done that.

510s are simple, light cars that do not really work well with heavy engine swaps or power over 200hp. At least they cease to be 510s. They have no room for bigger transmissions, cooling systems and exhausts. They have the steering and crossmember in the way of most swaps and re-engineering the suspension is seldom successful or at least way more work than planned. The rear suspension is simple and durable but has lots of trailing throttle oversteer. Add in some on throttle oversteer and you have a crazy ride.

Been there done that too. Still do in fact.

The Bluebird list is all there is. DQ's forum has failed to catch on. The DQ newsletter remains pretty good. Nissan pulled the plug on parts and zero aftermarket exists, just what interchanges with Z cars. 710s are much worse in this regard. The big summer Shasta get together that was mostly 510s is all gone, 510s are fading fast. The Bluebird list is pretty cliquish, you gotta take crap from the Oregon Shrek or you will be kicked off. Been there, done that.

510s are simple, light cars that do not really work well with heavy engine swaps or power over 200hp. At least they cease to be 510s. They have no room for bigger transmissions, cooling systems and exhausts. They have the steering and crossmember in the way of most swaps and re-engineering the suspension is seldom successful or at least way more work than planned. The rear suspension is simple and durable but has lots of trailing throttle oversteer. Add in some on throttle oversteer and you have a crazy ride.

From reading this message, is your Name Dennis?

Come on now. There is still some aftermarket for the 510. Maybe not as much as for the Z car or the roadster but it is still growing. Gasket kits have been made, suspension goodies and even CV axles are also available. Body parts are still being made in fiberglass and there is a company in Canada that is looking into making metal parts now. Companies like Datsport and MadDat in Australia are helping to keep the 510 alive and Techno toy tuning and Datsun Restore are here in the states.

Just because a mid engine 215 V8 or and Big Block Chevy is not a good swap into a 510 doesn't mean that an SR20 or a VG30DETT swap is bad. And they have over 200HP. It all depends on your intended purpose for the car.

Not everyone is building a track or autocross car. Some just want a decent street car with enough grunt to humiliate the passing Honda or Mustang and that can easily be accomplished with an SR20 or even a VG30 swap.

Even if you change the drivetrain or the suspension of the car, it still continues to be a 510. The handling characteristics may change but not everyone feels the same about how the car should handle. No it might not be the fastest through the autocross or take the FTD at the track but I for one like the looks of the 510 and even enjoyed my V8 510 even though it didn't handle like a race car. It was a fun to drive car that got lots of compliments and attention everywhere it went.

And I disagree that 510s are fading fast. Just because there is not a "BIG" 510 meet at Shasta anymore doesn't mean that the 510 community is fading away. Our east coast 510 meet continues to grow bigger every year. And lots of younger guys have been joining too.

Yes. The Bluebirds list does have a few members that can make it feel cliquish, but the list is such a valuable resource that it is worth dealing with those few people as they have a wealth of information to share about the 510.

If you are "the Dennis Hale" that headed up the Shasta event for many years and was a contributing 510 guru for many years on the bluebirds list, thank you for all that you have done to contribute to the 510 community. I know that your vast knowledge has helped make the 510 what it is today. I know that you had a bad experience on the bluebirds list. It seems that your feelings and attitude towards the 510 have changed and I would ask if you would please not spread your now negative feelings toward the future of the 510.

I am not saying this to get in a pissing match with you. Some of use are still into the 510. And I for one hope that the fever continues for many years to come.

Five figures.....does decimal places count? Can't wait to see your swap all done....I do need to find a clean 510 shell. I am going to look at at 73 corolla today with a sr20det swap....love those shapes of the old corollas and 510's.

Keep your eyes open for me.

I don't think the 510 is dying.. I just bought my first one last year (a wagon). So far I have enjoyed working on it.

Although the Z is being neglected at the moment the 510 wagon is a welcome addition to my Nissan family.

I thought about converting the forum I had setup http://www.cruez.com/forum/ for the L6 Z cars over to 510, because the 510 realm is mainly way up north and there wasn't one for us over here on the east coast, and there are enough Z car forums.

The mailing list is fine... I just like the forum format better.

Yes my name is Dennis Hale, the same one that started much of the 510 stuff out there. I still have about 10 of them. OK, maybe 9 1/2.

None have ever been stock contrary to the "facts" spread about on the Bluebird list. I built the first 280ZX front suspension car, it still runs and has been copied by many. I have made and even more, helped with, engine swaps that work, swaps that are too much effort, swaps that don't work. My 300hp midengine V8 never quite works as well as my 200hp L18 car for example, but costs a whole lot more to feed and care for. My advice comes from my experience.

I continue to advise folks to build a good L series upgrade before jumping into the much harder and always more expensive "wrong motor" pool. An LZ22 hybrid is a nearly bolt in conversion that makes almost three times the original power. Once you have outgrown that then we can talk. This is a far better deal than a L30 diesel crank Z car upgrade that works so well for so many.

My personal commitment towards 510s remains high. I only have 3 1/2 Zs and still keep 510 in my email sig. I have run the UFO club for 22 years, and am still producing an [almost] monthly newsletter for about 150 club members. The Shasta Meet was put on by this group with zero help from the Bluebird and DQ elite. The twits that rule that stuff often don't even have a 510 and have never built their own stuff even when they have had one. Buying great stuff from Steve Epperly really doesn't make you Steve Epperly you gotta know. Some experts they be.

Now go to your fancy pants experts and lecture them on how to behave instead of babbling away at your keyboard.