HybridZ

Brembos...

Guest koliver

Guest koliver

I have a 73 240z and am getting a set of brembo calipers for all four wheels. I was wondering if anyone has already installed a set and would be able to help me figure out what kind of hardware I will need to obtain to make them bolt up.

I have a 73 240z and am getting a set of brembo calipers for all four wheels. I was wondering if anyone has already installed a set and would be able to help me figure out what kind of hardware I will need to obtain to make them bolt up.

i see this is your first post, so i'll be gentle. become intimately familiar with the search function, it will provide more information than you need. i have found that hybrid is an absolutely amazing resource with many, many members that are much smarter than i-so i simply, search, read [over and over] learn and then...do. if, and only if you do not find what you need then post your questions. i'm confident you'll see that the paths have been blazed for you!:D

Guest koliver

thanks for the site. I had heard about it from someone else, but had forgotten. I already have the brembo calipers. So even though that kit looks great i only need hub/rotor stuff now. I know I could custom fab some but I was hoping to find something simpler.

And I had tried to find something about brembo install, but I was getting kind of tired of looking through all the threads with one quick blurb about them.

koliver,

Its a tricky business as jon has alluded to. If the calipers are designed for a rotor size that might be pushing it for the wheels you run I'd be checking that first.

After you're sure that the caliper will fit under the wheel at the right distance from the hub to suit the disc size it was designed for, then you can check that the distance from the hub, and try to find a disc with the correct dimensions. It might be a case of writing it all down and going and visiting an auto parts store and sitting down with their brake parts catalogue for half an hour.

What brembos are they? OEM or after market?

Dave

I screwed around a while ago with Brembos from a Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo, don't know if you got that in the US. Had to jump through some major hoops to get them to fit as in they ended up on the other side of the hub - used 260Z hubs on my 240Z. Would also be a pita every time I needed to change the rotors as they required machining to fit on the back of the hub. I was planning on swapping to Z31 5 stud hubs and was looking at Honda Legend rotors (305x28mm 5x114.3 studs) as being a possible front fit, and the extra space could've meant I'd've got the calipers back on the correct side of the hub. In the end it all went down the pan, sold the calipers on Ebay for more than I paid anyway, I'd go Arizona Z Wilwoods if I were to do it again.

896fitted_1.jpg

Other pics here:

http://www.zclub.net/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=896

Cheers,

Rob

That's a good point Rob. Get stuff that fits right on, unless you have the tools to do the machining. Brakes are wear items and I don't have a lathe, so I personally wouldn't consider one of these swaps where the pilot hole in the rotor has to be made larger or the OD of the rotor has to be cut down.

Yeah, it would've been a complete pain, not only did the bore need enlarging but also the mounting holes drilled accurately, so definitely unlikely to happen in the average home workshop, so more time and expense just to replace the discs.

Looking back at the pics though, it does look pretty cool. Good job I didn't take a pic of the other side where I stuck the brembo label on upsidedown like a total 'tard ;)

Cheers,

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a great fit Rob, having read the story and many like it, I am simply going for Dave Epstein's kit - am too dumb to take the hard route, his stuff fits and works so that is good enough for me :-) Plus the fact he is a cool guy to buy from, always has time to help.

Got his suspension kit the other day and was seriously impressed

I used AP calipers and rotors on my project. Everything was custom and nothing stock would work. Here are some pics of the custom mounts and bell. It is not cheap or easy, especially with post mounts. Check out my gallery for more pics.

Jeff

Front_Strut1.JPG

Front_Rotor_Hat.JPG

Front_Caliper_Bracket.JPG

Rear_Strut.JPG

Caliper_Mount_Parking_Brake_Mount.JPG