HybridZ

Had to do it!! Twin Turbo 454/240Z :o)

Hey, all...long time, no talk....

Couldn't help myself any more...after hangin' around Rip, thinking about all those steep on-ramps I might have to get up and cogitating for a bit, I just had to get a Banks twin turbo kit for the hot rod. Got it sitting in the barn waiting its' turn to make some horsies on the 454 in my Z. The reason it's waiting its' turn is I am refining my nitrous setup at the moment and haven't had a chance to try it out yet. First things first, of course. With luck, I will have the nitrous setup down the track this coming weekend and see what we can do. I have two different scenarios for the Banks kit...blow-through and fuel injection...I have both setups and will see what happens. I am running 10:1 compression so I am looking at making from 6 to 10 lbs of boost through an intercooler using a boost reference timing retard box and 93 octane pump gas so I should be fine once I get the AFR where I want it. I'm thinking around 14:1 under cruise conditions and 11.8 to 12.3 under boost conditions. The system won't be operational for a while as I am collecting all the other parts I need. Wish me luck and will keep you posted on all systems.

Wayne

TwinTurbosystem_thumb.jpg

This should be interesting!!

You'll have to modify the hood to fit the turbos.

What type and size are they?

Are you sure you want to keep the 10:1 pistons?

You have 20" wide rear tires to handle the torque, right?

Good luck, can't wait to see it run.

You are sure raising the BAR (pun intended) with this very ambitious project.

Hanns

Thanks for the well wishes, guys....I appreciate.

Turbomeister...you being my hero and all, you are also guilty of me being in the pickle I'm in...:o) I've been drooling over your engine since I joined the site. I have a couple of hoods that I am willing to modify to fit whatever configuration I end up with. I have had a number of chats with folks over the years concerning the two trains of thought when it comes to forced induction. One train says low compression and lots of boost and the other says higher compression and low boost..both camps seem to have their pro's and con's, however, my 454 is a Bill Mitchell small block version so I want to keep it intact. Everything is forged and I think if I keep the boost, fuel and timing reasonable, stuff will stay in one piece and still kick out 800 horses on pump gas. If I see I will have some problems, I will build a lower compression, purpose built motor for the turbo system. I will also change out the rear chunk back to a 4:10 vice 4:86 and even higher (3:73, etc. gearing) if I have to. I have 13.5 inches of basically what we used to know as cheater slicks on the ground and a four-link to play with, so we'll see.

Wayne

Hope to be there also, Deja...good to hear from the gang.

Turbomeister, I totally missed one of your questions...sorry about that...the Turbos are Turbonetics with a .96 turbine AR...I think I feel they are on the edge of being too small, but I will try them and see. Too small on the street is better than too big, me-thinks...I don't need to be running around at 5K rpm all the time, eh? If it turns out they are not doing what I need, they will be up for sale and I will get some larger turbine AR's

Wayne

Thanks, J&J..be good to see you folks. Many thanks for the well wishes and I apologize for not being able to help with the block. Looks like you have a handle on it. Is there any truth to the rumor coming out of SC that certain brothers of supercharged Z fame might be contemplating some hair driers? :o)

Wayne

Yeap, no rummor it will happen. Jerry will be building a twin turbo charged sbc very soon, thanks to Rip. The 6-71 supercharged sbc will be going in the all tube chassis Z when Jerry gets it ready, probably the end of next year. Right now he has his NOS motor built and should be doing some testing in a week ot two, until I get the supercharged engine back together then the new roll bar gets installed, then certified etc..... Have to get it ready for DNI.

John

Thanks, J&J..be good to see you folks. Many thanks for the well wishes and I apologize for not being able to help with the block. Looks like you have a handle on it. Is there any truth to the rumor coming out of SC that certain brothers of supercharged Z fame might be contemplating some hair driers? :o)

Wayne

I will also change out the rear chunk back to a 4:10 vice 4:86 and even higher (3:73, etc. gearing) if I have to. I have 13.5 inches of basically what we used to know as cheater slicks on the ground and a four-link to play with, so we'll see.

Wayne

Yes, I think your components are up to the task.

I also have .96 A/R ratio turbines and they spool up nicely.

You will find that the turbos really accelerate your engine rpm and the gear change will be necessary. I'm thinking of changing my 4.10's out also because it seems impossible to shift gears below 7000.

I hope your tires are 13.5 inches wide, each, because your engine will make 800 hp at idle.:D:D

Hanns

Thanks for the confirmation, John...looks like we can blame all this stuff on Rip, eh? Sounds like y'all have your hands full with projects. Best of luck to you.

Many thanks, Turbomeister...you just confirmed a couple of things for me and I think I will need to go with the 370's (or higher) gears as I want to keep the rpm's down in the 6K to 6.5K range. I believe this thing will put out enough torque to handle those gears easily even though I weigh in at 2890. Yes, 13.5 inches of rubber on each side....I just need to figure out how the 10.5 guys are hooking while running 7's in the quarter and adjust accordingly.

Wayne

Hey Rick, the hot rod is looking GOOD! Good to hear from you guys...

Scottie, I still have to get it done and get it to the ground, so not to worry yet. Knowing you, I think I will still have my hands full....:o)

Cal Poly, I think if I had a 75 foot yacht to tow, I would sell it to pay for this stuff....:o) know what I mean???

Wayne

Wayne

Wayne , my turbo headers came in on 10-21-07, for the tt setup, and today I found another turbo it is a MONSTER I am waiting for info from the Turbo people ,best I can tell it is a 88mm, Yea Baby. I already have a turbo cam thanks to John, I have my pistons, block, and heads, I hope to get the block to the machine shop next week. Rip really helped me out(THANKS RIP). He hooked me up with two Holset tubos,50mm BOV, and a air to water intercooler. It will be middle to late next year before it goes into the car. I hope sooner but who knows.I need to give a shout out to Turbo meister for giving me some great info. Jerry