HybridZ

Pics and vid of autoX in the 71'

Had to share. After almost 4 years I finally have a place to work on and store my other Z that has been sitting uner a tarp in the weather. I threw it together in 3 weeks to make this event, head was warped, tires cracked, needed a surge tank, fuel pump, LSD installed, brake master, turbo, exhaust work, ect. I drove it on the street real quick the morning before to make sure it would still run right. It wouldn't rev over 6000 (I have fixed since) but atleast it ran. I latter found it was a little loose too but still quite a bit quicker than my 73'.

I know autoX vids aren't the greatest to watch but here's the first run.

Click here to watch 1021autoxrun1

87664649pmcurdpsdsc3613xx7.jpg

87664648mmoimy2qdsc3612iy5.jpg

87664650mwzplvm2dsc3614ij9.jpg

87664754xdiiggiodsc3705ki2.jpg

Clifton,

What tires are you running and what size are they?

Wheelman

Goodyear 23x9.5x15. They are on 15x10's

No BOV. Exhaust is 3" with a 3" Dynomax ultraflo 6" race muffler (3.5" internal diameter). I wouldn't run just that on a street car. Can't tell here but it isn't much quiter than straight pipe. It is about three times as loud as my other car.

So I'm guessing that the Goodyears are a bit stickier than the Yokohamas that we were both running previously? Can you give a little comparison? You running the FA Radial Goodyears?

I think they are a bit softer. I couldn't find any info on the Yokos as far as compound options though and mine are were way to old and hard to use a durometer on. These Goodyears are FA fronts too and are the softest available, E070 compound. I haven't had it on a road coarse yet and this is my first autoX with this car ever so I can't give a real good comparison but they seem to stick pretty good.

I think those Yok's were just plain hard. I got mine FRESH from a Toy Atlantic practice session and they were already feeling a lot like Kuhmo Victoracers according to the 'ol thumbnail durometer. I figured the Goodyears would be real gummy in comparison.

Ya, I guess these are pretty gummy. It's been so long I guess I couldn't remember how hard those yokos were. I never ran them on the same track I used to run the Firestones on to compare. From what I've read a 1230lb FA car is around 3200lbs with full downforce. Don't know how true it is but based on that I went as soft as they made.

What did you end up going with after the Yokos?

Ya, I guess these are pretty gummy. It's been so long I guess I couldn't remember how hard those yokos were. I never ran them on the same track I used to run the Firestones on to compare. From what I've read a 1230lb FA car is around 3200lbs with full downforce. Don't know how true it is but based on that I went as soft as they made.

What did you end up going with after the Yokos?

I was planning on the same tires you've got now, but I think I'm going to try to run the 12's in back. Haven't driven my car in 3 years, haven't raced it in 5...

Love the Paint man!! The stance on that car is perfect! Mario is right on, sounds like my brother's after his BOV changed tones when we transplanted the motor into a 77 z and installed megasquirt ( I know that makes no sense, but it is what happened:hs:)

We need to try to get an all Z car day at one of the local tracks. I can guarantee 8 Z cars from Tucson. Would be great!

We need to try to get an all Z car day at one of the local tracks. I can guarantee 8 Z cars from Tucson. Would be great!

That would be cool. I've thought about Tucson for autoX but towing it down there and back is alot more expensive when I can do it here. I would go down there if a bunch of Z's were going though.

John, I plan to go with the FA rears too. Just didn't have time to widen my current wheels. I let you know when I get them on there.

Clifton that looks like so much fun. I want to try some auto-x. Your car is looking and sounding great! Its amazing that you just got her going, and drove it the morning of!!! I have always loved that paint on your car also. I have a buddy that painted his bike the same scheme.

We can always go up there also. Our AX down here is at a rather rough site. The Sierra Vista AX is at their airport about once every other month. That venue is just awesome!..I do know that would be a trek for you, however. Let's see if we can't get something going up there?