HybridZ

Is anyone here an engineer?

78280z

I am currently a sophomore civil engineering major but I have been considering changing to mechanical engineering. I'm not sure what to do, and I have to make a decision soon since courses are starting to differ between the two programs. Anyone have any advice? Thanks!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished the Electrical Engineering program at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo and all the way through I wished I was doing M.E.

The way I look at it is this, getting the degree in some form of engineering will get your foot in the door. Proving that you can learn and want to get better at your job will allow you to do whatever you want with that degree (to an extent).

For me it was always between ME and EE, I like working with robotics and cars and mechanical objects but I also really enjoy programming. Both of these majors make sense for what I enjoy.

I guess what I am saying is make the decision based on what you enjoy, but dont worry too much if it doesn't focus exactly where you want to end up. An engineering degree can be very flexible depending on how ambitious you are.

I am a ME with a PE working in the oil fields in Prudhoe Bay AK, technically it is not that stimulating, but the pay is good.

Try to look at what type of work you want to be doing 10 years after you graduate.

CEs build targets MEs build the bombs to blow them up.

It all depends what your interests are. As the saying goes "If you do what you like to do, you won't have to work a day in your life"

You should figure it out quick since sophomore year, the classes really start to diverge between CE and ME, even if they are "equivalent" classes. e.g. Fluid dynamics. CE concentrate more on open channel flow, sluice gates etc. while ME's do more study in jet nozzle designs, supersonic flow etc.

I think ME is a much broader discipline (in general). They cover a little bit of most everything. Computer science programming like for Finite elements, circuits, signal processing, machine design, thermodynamics and heat transfer, IC engines, and more recently MEMS and Mechatronics.

I'm an ME and I wound up in the software industry (go figure). I'm not sure if I could have done this (as easily) if I were a CE. Plus, if you're into cars and engines, ME is the way to go! :-D

Like I said, study what you enjoy and will continue to enjoy for a LONG time.

HTH, -Hugh

I'm a software engineer and have to differ with BobbyZ that one degree is as good as another. When it comes to CE and ME maybe but moving to or from another engineering discipline to EE or SE (software engineering) is more than just changing your job description.

I agree with SHO-Z, try to decide what you want to be doing 10 years from now and pursue that, but in the long run be flexible and willing to explore your options and learn new things.

I started out studying to be an EE but discovered very early on (thank god) I really didn't like it and switched to computer science. Now I work as an embedded software developer so I get to play in the EE field as well as write software, best and worst of both worlds. I've been doing it for more than 20 years now and am seriously considering a change to something totally different (maybe I'll become an Astronaut when I grow up :) ). Seriously though, any career can burn you out, but working as an engineer can be very stressful, especially in the electronics / software field as things change extremely quickly, unlike CE where the same techniques used 50 years ago are still in use today.

Wheelman

Thanks for all the advice. I have been leaning towards ME for a while because of my interest in cars and other things mechanical. However, I also enjoy some aspects of CE. For example, I had an internship working primarily with ME's, but we worked on a project rehabilitating a waste treatment plant. I suppose though, that most of the work was ME since it involved pipe sizing, pump selections, etc. It is pretty much impossible to separate out what the actual definition of ME or CE or any engineering is since all engineers work on aspects of all fields of engineering. So, that makes choosing a specific field tough. But, I think I'm going to go with ME because of my interests and my experiences working with ME's. Anyway, thanks for all of the advice and wish me luck with all this homework...I know you all went through it haha. Thanks again!

Just do your best that once you graduate to get your Professional engineering liscense right away. You forget so much if you try and do it later and it makes a difference in your pay.

You can't do that. First you have to pass the EIT and then work under a PE's direction for 4 years before taking the PE exam. Most students take the EIT exam while a senior in college. In any event you have to have PE references as well as direct supervision under a PE. Not that easy to do. The test is gruelling, selecting 50 of 100 questions in both a morning and afternoon exam session. If doing the Environmental PE you have to answer all 100 questions. You get negative points for wrong answers as well.

You can't do that. First you have to pass the EIT and then work under a PE's direction for 4 years before taking the PE exam. Most students take the EIT exam while a senior in college. In any event you have to have PE references as well as direct supervision under a PE. Not that easy to do. The test is gruelling, selecting 50 of 100 questions in both a morning and afternoon exam session. If doing the Environmental PE you have to answer all 100 questions. You get negative points for wrong answers as well.

my boss came from california as a PE in civil. his test was 2 days for the main test and a seperate day for his disipline. he did have to retake a portion of the test over again (most do it seems). i am a little different though. i was in school and dropped out of college because i got to bored with the classroom stuff that did not relate to the "real world". had several "talks" with the profs about it and they had no clue how it was out of the class setting, so i got pissed off and did not go back. it took about a year of studying on my own and finally passed the eit. i now have doubts as to getting the pe as i am not sure if i want to do this for the rest of my life. "follow your bliss" - Joseph Cambell

jimbo

Sorry, I meant within the first 5-10 years.

I am an ME with a BSME and have been working as one for the past 14 years or so. If I had to do it all again, I would start my own plumbing, electrical, or landscaping business. They are the ones that get rich. I would still suggest getting a degree, but then start a business, and maybe get an MBA on top of it later on. Working for someone else get's old.

LOL... I am an audio engineer. I Design, install, and operate mobile TV production units. Me or EE is a good start to get into this.

A day at the "office"

Head office

office.jpg

The "desk"

office1.jpg

The basement

officetech.jpg

Field office

office2.jpg

Satellite office

officesat.jpg