HybridZ

Is anyone here an engineer?

78280z

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am an ME with a BSME and have been working as one for the past 14 years or so. If I had to do it all again, I would start my own plumbing, electrical, or landscaping business. They are the ones that get rich. I would still suggest getting a degree, but then start a business, and maybe get an MBA on top of it later on. Working for someone else get's old.

This is my plan. I just graduated in May as a ME and working my first job now. I plan to start on my MBA soon because the job pays for it. Right now besides the "Ebay" thing with parts...I am looking into start my own business for several reasons. Working for others just makes them rich, I grew up with my dad owning his own busn and there are no asking for days off/planning when not to get sick and such. If I could of done it all over...I might have thought about the path Austin is taking. If you want a decent plan, get the degree-get a job who will pay well and pay for school-take your EIT as soon as possible...here in NY you gotta sign up 6 months prior-when you feel you have a good amount of work expr.- venture off into starting your own busn.

I like my job here but I work with some busn owners who know nothing like I do about electrical systems or plumbing but they pull in 200K a yr because they "own" the busn.....food for thought.

Clive

Aeronautical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build targets. Mechanical engineers put the machinery and HVAC in the targets. Industrial engineers tell the contractor what color to paint the machinery they put in the target. :)

I'm an AE because I get a hard on for aerospace hardware (real race cars have the same effect on me, safety wire and Aeroquip baby! Yowsa!). But around the office the CE's are the most useful outside of work, like when you need to pour a driveway or build a deck. :) :)

An engineering degree really just teaches you how to solve problems, whether its a CE, AE, or ME not really a big deal right out of college- lots of crossover. Chem E's proly start with bigger bucks, followed by AE's, but in the long run get in the industry that you have an interest in- the kind of degree shouldn't be a hinderance to most companies.

Most important thing: get in the company savings plan! The most powerful force in the universe is compound interest- Albert Einstein

By Katman

An engineering degree really just teaches you how to solve problems, whether its a CE, AE, or ME not really a big deal right out of college- lots of crossover

Yep. I doubled in ME/CE, but never worked as an engineer. Started in the construction busines right away. If I'd known the challenges that lay ahead, I probably wouldn't have attempted it, but I guess it worked out.

Almost any employers like an engineering degree, even if you're doing something else. A lot of the people I went to school with are employed in other fields.

jt

I was going to go the engineer route but went another way. Bottom line is work for youself. I started a buisness as a hobby about 2 years ago and now its gotten so large I had to hire two employees and buy two more trucks. Work for youself and do a go job, goes far in my experience.

I'm an EE / Comp E. Remember working for yourself you assume all liability... things like 401(k), medical, dental, vision, time off... all gone. Instead you pick up the bill.

When I think of The Next Big Thing I plan to start a cottage industry and work it up from there. For now, I'm comfortable in my day job.

i've wanted to be an ME ever since...i dunno, i was...10? 12?

whenever Junkyard Wars FIRST aired. that got the gears turning in my conscious. sub consciously i've wanted to be an ME since i was like 6. Apparently when i was little, i would always daydream during class (private school with an open learning type method) and i was sitting there playing with walnut shells, and had managed to somehow chip them away into a hinge. With lego's, i would rarely build what was in the instructions even once, and build anything i could, and with k-nex, i would build crazy hands that i could manipulate with my own fingers (this is when i'm like 6 or 7)

now i'm constantly modifying paintball guns, and designing outrageous things (like a mutual twin turbine engine, where the exhaust from one powers the intake of the other, it should work, i just need to find big turbos and find a way to machine it)

but i'm at a road block. no money for school right now.

An engineering degree really just teaches you how to solve problems, whether its a CE, AE, or ME not really a big deal right out of college- lots of crossover.

I've been thinking about this thread and I was about to post the same info. Its really true and I believe this is what Dr. Hunt was saying as well when he said "Its all good". 90% of what you do on the job is learned after college...

In all honesty Katman, I know the real reason why you chose Aeronautical Engineering...so when some cute girl says:

"What are you, a rocket scientist or something?!"

you can say: "Why yes...Yes I am!" :cool: (lol...just kidding...)

In all honesty Katman, I know the real reason why you chose Aeronautical Engineering...so when some cute girl says:

"What are you, a rocket scientist or something?!"

you can say: "Why yes...Yes I am!" :cool: (lol...just kidding...)

i was living in santa fe new mexico and a friend of mine was playing in a band in los alamos, the birth place of the atomic bomb. sitting there drinking my beer and ease dropping on some guy trying to pick up some chick by using a line like that. shot down in flames but it was funny as hell watching the nerd pick up on some hipie.

bottom line, get a degree. all it means is that you can be taught. most fighter pilots that i know do not have a degree in anything that resemble flying.

jimbo

bottom line, get a degree. all it means is that you can be taught. most fighter pilots that i know do not have a degree in anything that resemble flying.

jimbo

this, oddly enough...is very much the truth. I know a few fighter pilots aswell...none of which have any kind of useful degree towards something with wings.

I got my ME degree 36 years ago and the required PE license 4 years after that since I was working on projects which involved public safety. I would also recommend taking the EIT test during your senior year as it is more difficult to do later. The PE license will provide more job opportunities throughout your career. After working in the corporate world for 35 years I decided to take advantage of an early retirement option and go into consulting. It's been a great option for me, setting my own work schedule so I have time to work on the Z, travel etc. Work half as hard and get paid twice as much :-D

As a side note my son is now working on his PHD in chemical engineering.

I'm going to step on some toes here.

I'm an electrical engineer working in the mining industry with plenty of mates that are civil and plenty that are mechanical.

From what I have seen the jobs for mechanical engineers (in my industry) outway the jobs for civil and electrical. Ratios for jobs are approximately Civil 1 eng, Mech 4 eng, Elec 2 engs.

Also a lot of the civil and mech engineers say they chose there degree because it was a lot easier than electrical. In addition the civils say that they chose the civil because it was a lot easier than mechanical.

I also want to re-iterate what a lot of people have been saying about the university.

My first job interview the guy interviewing me said "I know you just did four years of university, but we don't expect you to know anything usefull. all those years of university just show us that you are able to learn". And it is true, when i first started i knew very little usefull information, but I was able to pick it up very quickly and within a couple of months was really helping out.

So don't get too woried about what you study, because you can always move around the fields (within reason).

Globerunner.. i am fascinated with AE...

but id rather be flying an F22 then sitting at a desk with a big headache trying to redesign a part.

Plus I make a butt load of money.. for sitting on my ass and letting auto pilot take control.. while touring the world and meeting hot flight attendants.

When I graduated nearly 10 years ago now the AE's were pissed that the ME's were getting their jobs. At that time ME was good since it's so broad in scope. I'm an ME but there was never really any question in my mind that's what interested me. If you want a design job CE is not the way to go ... at least we dont interview them. Also if you go corporate big company a PE is worthless as is a MS.

Cameron

Very TImely thread.

I am 25 and looking to go back and study. late start I know! I just wasnt working well when I finished school and there was no way I would have taken college seriously. Now i am just wondering what I want to do with the rest of my life and it seems that ME is really where I should be! Thanks for all the info here.