HybridZ

Has anyone done this? Sub boxes...

BurnoutZ

I got 2 10" alpine type E's in a sealed fiberglass box with a 1500 amp and it is enough that you can hear me coming. but the added weight is a downfall, but then again its only 80lbs. Just take out your passenger seat and tell your wife to stay home. voila problem solved. lol.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why the hell would you put a 15" sub in a car like ours? the bass has no time to mature and get the full feel of it. 15" subs are sloppy especially in a small cabin like we have........unless you want to be like a brother drivin down the street in the hood..........

i'm sorry i dont remember me saying i had it in a Z. it's more a sarcastic statement than anything. my philosophy was always go big or go home.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Twistit

I've seen thee types of molded boxes made before, I'm no expert, but what I did see seemed pretty simple.

First, you'll need to make a speaker mounting ring out of wood, preferrably MDF. and a base frame for the enclosure

Youll need som fiberglass matt, resin (poly?, don't remember which), and some nylons (yep, womens nylon stockings.

Build wood frame to hold up the speaker mounting rings and stretch the nylon stockings over the ring and down to the base frame. this will create the smooth contoured form. Stretch the nylons tight until they won't sag from the weight of the resin. Brush the resin over your nylon "mold" to solidify the shape and add some strength. Let it cure. after the basic shape is made and stable, start laying the fiberglass matting on it to build up the enclosure. build up to about 3/8" or more depending on how stout you want the enclosure to be. Be sure to completely mold resin and glass the mounting ring as well so it is a solid part of the structure.

Finish and paint.

I wish I had some pictures, I saw this technique elsewhere on the web but can't recall the source. If I run across it, I'll post some links up.

I have made these kinda enclosures. Use fleece, stretch over a frame and soak in resin. Rule of thumb is if you can flex the fiber glass with pressure with your thumb, you need another layer of glass matte. I built one for my altima that made 136 dB. I could do a write up if anyone has questions.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 280ZForce
As far as sub goes, I was planning on buying 2 JL Audio 10 inch 10w7's. http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs.php?series_id=5 There is a page with info on them. They are very expensive but JL makes quality subs and speakers.

seriously, only go with 1 w7... those are heavy weights and hit hard!

I used to have a custom setup in my 99 Toyota Corolla w/ 1 13.5" JL w7 and that thing made every panel on the car shake, I mean your could literally see the roof, fenders, trunk, side panels vibrating hard. even knocked a picture frame off my neighbor's wall before on maybe 1/3 the volume level. I mean my volume knob would go to 30 and on like volume 9 you could feel the hair on your head dancing and your voice would be vibrating.

I have a brand new 12" JL w6v2 and a JL 500/1 for my Z, but wanting to sell them now since my Z has gotten a lot more serious with performance.

I had a custom enclosure for the Z last year, but I sold it to someone on here or zcar once I decided to focus on performance only for the time being. I'll try to dig up some pics of it.

Call me crazy, but I'm going with one 12" with a custom box to go in the spare tire well, ported of course. Also, going to get the rear panel from the z store for the 2 6x9's and the fiberglass panels off of here, if the guy still makes them, for the 6 inches up front. Going all Alpine with my system, for they just released some new amps that look clean, and have good power for a system that I want to sound crisp and clear, and to bumb when I want.

Interios will be black with a dark blue trim.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Does anyone on here have sub boxes molded like this one? Does anyone know where i can get some from?

2uhs3fl.jpg

Whoses car is that, I would like to see more pics of the car. mostly standing at the rear, with the hatch open, so I could see the subwoofer setup, along with the amp.

why the hell would you put a 15" sub in a car like ours? the bass has no time to mature and get the full feel of it. 15" subs are sloppy especially in a small cabin like we have........unless you want to be like a brother drivin down the street in the hood..........

Be careful what you say alot of people get offended by racist comments. I would have to agree that a 15 wouldnt sound the best in a small car. My brother has one 10 inch kicker in his 300zx and it is plenty. My two memphis 15s in my grand prix have pretty tight bass, they sound better than the 12s in my brothers jag(sealed box and polyfillfor the 15s). They are overkill though, when you can see you gauge needles bouncing you know your bass is to loud.