HybridZ

4 valves per cylinder with ONE cam.

datsun40146

Ok, so I was watching the new season of Top Gear where they featured a

Triumph/ British Leyland Sprint. Well what took me by surprise was the fact that it had 4 valves per cylinder but only one cam and its power output. I was wondering how this worked and if mabye it had a modern application. The motor that British Leyland placed that head on was a 2 liter four cylinder that made 127 bhp, which I though was VERY impressive for 1973. I was thought I would ask what everyone thought about that head design. This is what I've been able to find with a quick google search. Thanks

Once the logical decision was taken to use the slant-four engine. The development of the slant-four would provide the perfect engine to compete more effectively in motor sport. Spen King devised a plan to extract more power. With co-operation from Harry Mundy and the engineers at Coventry Climax, a 16 Valve cylinder head was designed, which would sit atop a two-litre version of the engine. Ingeniously, the 16 Valves would be actuated by a single camshaft, long rockers across the head were used to actuate the second bank of valves. The arrangement was clever because it negated the need for an expensive twin camshaft arrangement, and would offer all the benefits of the multi-valve layout. At a stroke, Triumph had developed an engine that would power the marque's cars in a most effective way for many years to come - certainly, the SD2 was conceived with a fuel-injected version of this engine very much in mind.

Development posed interesting problems, simply because of the fact that the 16V slant-four was so efficient, it was relatively easy for the engineers to tweak it to produce over 150bhp. The final figure was 127bhp - a very healthy figure, especially when viewed in the context of its 1973 introduction. Like the Dolomite before it, the Sprint (the name chosen early on during development) was subject to several delays - but it duly appeared in the autumn of 1973, and was greeted by buyer and press enthusiasm, alike.

i know on bikes its been done both ways.. either picture a rocker arm that has one follower on the cam and then splits into a Y after the pivotand pushes on 2 valves and then the cam is inbetween the intake and exhaust valves so one side has the exhaust and one side has the intake with 2 y shaped rocker arms. if you ever run into this set up and are adjusting valves you have to have 2 sets of feeler gauges so you can measure the clearances of both rocker arms at the same time as to not cock the rocker arm up on one side.

My Crf250r had the Unicam head which was a single cam with three lobes. The outsides activated the intake valves which were directly below it and the middle lobe lifted a rocker that split to activate the two intakes.

I liked it because it was easy to adjust and if you buy a performance cam, its only one.

There's a really sick VW bug that has a set of 16v heads that still run 8 pushrods and a single cam

http://www.araoengineering.com/VWheads.htm

4400 bucks for a pair, a bit steep considering a lot of people have that much in just the engine.

The car they have featured on the site is nice though. runs a custom built air/air intercooler, twin turbo, and 4 single barrel mikuni's

I used to have a 1990 Toyota Corolla with “16 valves†stamped on the rocker cover, but I’m pretty sure that it was SOHC.

The only engine options I'm aware of for US-spec E9x Corollas were 4A-F(E) and 4A-GE, all of which were DOHC. You may be confused by the fact that the 4A-F motors had a single cam sprocket: the intake cam was driven by the exhaust cam via internal gears (picture towards the bottom here). The 4A, 4A-C, and 4A-E were SOHC, but only had 8 valves.

• 3 weeks later...