HybridZ

legal problems

johndaniel.b.coffin

I have a slight problem. My wife bought me a project 280z for my birthday this last june. The problem is that all I got with it was a bill of sale. I called the DMV about getting it legal. They told me that I cant get it legal because I dont have a title. I cant get ahold of the guy she bought it from, (he moved and doesent have the same number) So what can I do. I now have a car I cant really work on or do anything with. So, should I start from scratch and figure out a way to get rid of this, or do I find a way to get this one legal? I do believe that that I would have to find a way to get a lein title (or something along those lines) and then pay the back taxes for the last ten years. Any toughts or words of wisdom? All help would be appreciated.

There are such things as "title bonds" too. Look into that as well. It might be a little more expensive (usually around $160), but it basically assures the DMV that the car is not stolen and if it does turn up stolen, or another claim to it's title is applied for, it covers your butt. The DMV will usually issue a title without a problem if you've attained a title bond.

Here is a link to a company in Sacramento that can help you. (note, I have no affiliation with them whatsoever, just did an internet search on Vehicle Title Bonds and they turned up.) Click Here

This is NOT legal advice, and I am certainly NOT an attorney, just a suggestion of an avenue that you might investigate.

Hope it helps.

Warren

I do believe that that I would have to find a way to get a lein title (or something along those lines) and then pay the back taxes for the last ten years..

Here's my experience on that in CA. A few years ago I had to do the same thing you are doing. The DMV records only went back five years on Registration so if the car was last registered over five years ago there would be no record on file and you would only pay for the current year. If it was registered within the five year span you would need to pay the back years and current year fees. Also you would be getting a Dup. title not a lien title.

LARRY

To save some hassles, verify the VIN stamped on the firewall next to the brake booster matches the one on the dash and the one on the drivers side door plate.

Take the VIN number to DMV, they can check if it is in the system. If it is not in the system, the pocess gets a little easier. DMV will want to see the car for VIN verification.

I am out the door right now. Send me a PM.

• 1 month later...
I have verified that all the vin numbers are matching. When I talked to the DMV, they did claim that the plate matched the car, it just hasen't been in there system since 1996. Well that doesent seem as bad as I thought it was going to be. Thanks to all for the info.

So, how did this work out? I just picked up my Z from the shop two days ago. It was last registered in 1994. I went to the DMV yesterday to register it, but they were paving the parking lot, so they were closed. Nice.

On the way home, you guessed it, I got pulled over. The helpful officer told me that the car had, in fact, not been registered since 1994, and had never been non-op'ed, so I will have to pay 14 years in back registration fees. That doesn't sound good. He also told me that if he hadn't believed my story he would have impounded the car on the spot.

I have heard the 5-year thing from someone else as well. Has anyone ever actually been through that with the California DMV?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Did you read my post in this thread?????:eek2:

LARRY

I did. Unfortunately that is not how it worked out for me. My car, which hadn't been registered for 14 years, had never been non-oped, so they charged me $383 in back registration fees to register it. I asked them about the five year deal, and the clerk said she had no idea what I was talking about.

Oh well. The Z is on the road. I suppose it could have been worse.