HybridZ

strange blowing of fusible links

Guest TeamNissan

My guess would be current jumping to it from another source or a short. Have you checked with a multimeter to see whats going to it when it blows?

no I havnt, I did notice it happens when I turn my lights on before the ignition, if I start the car first they dont blow... but when they do blow they blow crazy

what plug are you refering to big-phil?

check your lighting circuit and your ignition switch wiring. you could just unhook the battery and use an audible continuity tester to see which wire is shorting with whatever other wire is causing the blow-out.

it will take while to trace, but once you get body contact on a power wire, you should have found your issue.

If it works OK for a while then blows up real good, you might have an intermittent short. There might be a piece of wire with worn through insulation that every now and then contacts a piece of steel shorting the circuit dead to ground.

Intermittent grounds can be hard to find with a multimeter, cause they aren't always shorted out.

My suggestion is to do a close visual inspection of the whole length of the wires downstream of the blown link. Pay particular attention to the areas where they pass through sheetmetal openings or otherwise rub against body parts. If anything is frayed, replace it.

If the fuses really do blow spectacularly, then there may be some arcing at the point of the short. Look for black marks or melted insulation.

• 1 month later...

well I did some digging today and didnr find anything wrong with the wiring, no grounds or anything... so then I disconnected each light one at a time and tried a new fuse each time, the fuse blew everytime, so I know the short isnt in a light... but when I plugged it all back in it worked fine! tail lights and dash lights and the fuse no longer blows... a bad connection wouldnt cause a fuse to blow so this is weird, my car has a habit of breaking and fixing herself

my car has a habit of breaking and fixing herself

LOL, I had a Ford Ranger that did that.

You might have a connector or even a light socket that is corroded on the inside allowing leakage from a voltage pin to a ground pin. Just disconnecting stuff can fix it...temporarily. I went thought this many times on my 280Z, never left home without boxes of fuses. I finally gave up and replaced the complete harness. I was shocked to see the condition of some of the connectors and wiring.

My car blew the hazard/brake lights fuse. I put in another one that lasted for two weeks. Then the car quit on me, the Megasquirt just stopped working and the fuse blew again. Then all of a sudden, the car started up again. I replaced the fuse again and it's been fine for 6 months now.

Old cars, old wires, mice...just cross your fingers more often. :-P

Anything I disconnect nowadays gets reconnected with silicone grease or di-electric greases, even light bulbs. You have to keep that pesky oxygen away from the metal somehow.

I did not even think about di-electic grease. Maby when I die and get some time to work on my car, that will be a must have! Still hopeing their is some kind of "garage town" in heaven;).

lol come on man.

next time you unclip a connector to solve a problem, just fill it with a packet of dielectric grease. what's the big deal. LOL

When you have your headlights on do one or both seem brighter than normal? If so you have a poor ground which will blow fuses in the same manner. If it involves lights you can generally find one light brighter than the other which let's you know the poor ground is closer to that light. Just something based on a previous experience that I found out. Good luck

• 1 month later...

Well I finaly found out what was causing this... I am letting you know, bring this dead thread back up, to say: "check EVERYTHING, sometimes its out of the norm but still staring you in the face" It was grounding out in my car alarm which was wired to my lights, and I believe fuse, so its all good now. thanks everybody