HybridZ

Contact patch, weight, and lap times?

I like more tire. I've spent many years wishing I had larger rear tires. I'm running the 17 inch combo you mentioned but it is a track only car. I chose that size because the vette guys run that size and it will be available for a looooong time.

For a dual purpose car, I used to run 225 17 on front and 245 17 on the rear. THe car was plenty fast and handeled well but the rear tires were always just a throttle blip from being a usless gummey mess wrapped around some nice looking rims.

Both cars are V8 cars.

If I were doing a dual purpose car again, I would run some ZG flairs and use 15 inch wheels and get some canilevered slicks and call it done.

Good luck

posted by tube80z

How camber sensitive are these tires? And are you stuck with running radials?

Cary, I'm afraid I don't have the knowledge or experience to answer that. I'm currently running the Hoosier R6 225/50/16 on an 8" rim, and the sweet spot seems to be between -2.8 and -3.0. Even at that you can tell the braking is hurt some, but less and you mostly run on the outer half of the tire. A camber/grip graph would be nice, but I can't even offer generalizations.

The intent is a track day/time trial car. The TT class is a catch all, so it's essentially run what you brung. Several of us spend a good bit on our cars, but we're still guys with jobs playing on the weekend, not serious racers with serious racer budgets. The R compound radials last for 20 or 30 heat cycles before they get really bad, and they are a popular choice. I understand bias slicks last only a few cycles. However, I haven't tried any, and probably should to widen my horizons a bit.

If you have some basic data you may want to think about downloading bosch lapsim and trying it out. It may help you make the choice as to which is better.

I've been playing with a G2X datalogger some, is that the kind of data you mean? I haven't played with any sim stuff at all. Somedays I do well to reboot my pc.

posted by johnc

I would only run that tire in car weighing under 2,500 lbs with driver (even in R compund). Anything heavier will not last.

This alone might be the deciding factor. With my fat ass in the seat, if the car has an on track weight of less than 2500#, it probably won't be by much. I am not interested at all in playing in the tire carcass failure zone, or even close.

This is beginning to look more and more like running the big heavy tires is the conclusion.

I will need to build a bigger motor to pull them.

John

I've been playing with a G2X datalogger some, is that the kind of data you mean? I haven't played with any sim stuff at all. Somedays I do well to reboot my pc.

John,

Take a look at http://www.jameshakewill.com/tech.htm. This site has a lot of good info on using free tools and low cost options to help you get the most from your data logger. You can see what he did with lapsim to see if it's worth the time to invest in learning it.

Cary

The 1.5" ride height difference would be crucial to me, given all the other factors you have mentioned. Not only for the lower C of G but the potential aero benefits, something a lot of S30 punters don't seem to pay much attention to :)

The 1.5" ride height difference would be crucial to me, given all the other factors you have mentioned. Not only for the lower C of G but the potential aero benefits, something a lot of S30 punters don't seem to pay much attention to :)

This seems to be an American thing. Watching the European and Auz and they seems to be really into the aero stuff. Lots of wings and little dodads everywhere.

Cameron