HybridZ

Surfers Vehicle Recommendations?

tfreer85

I see, well the sube is prob'ly a little small. My '97 legacy has 6ft from tailgate to the back of the front seats. Maybe the baja's could fit longer? I really don't remember, the Impreza, Forester are a foot shorter.

Hmmm well that sucks. I'm kinda pondering the idea of a Toyota tacoma with a campershell and roof rack. Also looking into the roll down rear window kits for when i need to store it on the inside. Thoughts on that idea?

Tyson

see, well the sube is prob'ly a little small. My '97 legacy has 6ft from tailgate to the back of the front seats. Maybe the baja's could fit longer? I really don't remember, the Impreza, Forester are a foot shorter.

I thought the idea here was to put roof racks on the car,obviously a 10 surfboard is not going to fit in a car:confused::confused:.Even a full size truck has an 8 foot bed.A soob with racks is perfect,and dont forget the awd good mileage and nice drive...oh and reliable.

Chevy El Camino

I think he wants something that will get off the beach without help from a wrecker.

I thought the idea here was to put roof racks on the car,obviously a 10 surfboard is not going to fit in a car:confused::confused:.Even a full size truck has an 8 foot bed.A soob with racks is perfect,and dont forget the awd good mileage and nice drive...oh and reliable.

I'd like to be able to store a 10ft in a car if at all possible, for when I'm in class. If that means laying down a seat and setting int all the way up to the dash or what. Right now after talking to some fellow surfers and seeing their cars and such, I think a tacoma extended cab with a camper shell might be able to hold one going through into the cab. Roof rack on top for when I don't have to lock it up. Thanks for the help guys,

Tyson

I'd like to be able to store a 10ft in a car if at all possible, for when I'm in class. If that means laying down a seat and setting int all the way up to the dash or what. Right now after talking to some fellow surfers and seeing their cars and such, I think a tacoma extended cab with a camper shell might be able to hold one going through into the cab. Roof rack on top for when I don't have to lock it up. Thanks for the help guys,

Tyson

Carrying 10 foot moldings in my Tacoma extra cab in just that manner has them hanging 2 feet past the back of the tailgate. You will need a full sized truck for that. Or a suburban.

The more I think about it a minivan is the perfect option. A Grand Caravan with the second and third row seats removed will carry 4x8 sheets of drywall flat. The 10 footer should easily fit between the front seats with the rear hatch shut. Some even come in 4wd.

I had at one point. The problem is, I want to be able to store my board with me. I.E. For going after class etc. I don't really want to store my board on my car for 8hrs of classes in a parking structure. The subaru wagon is a strikingly good idea, AWD, sporty, lots of room.

Thanks guys,

Tyson

My roof racks are locking. They use steel cables and a ratcheting lock down with rubber safety pads to secure the board to the roof. I have two keys, one for the rack itself and one for the board ratchets.

I agree with the mini-van idea.

We have a GMC Safari (4.3L V6, 200HP / 4L60E 4-speed auto) that seats 8 with all the seats installed and with them removed will hold a 4x8 sheet of plywood or rock laying flat on the floor. Around town we average about 17-18 and on the highway 22-23 mpg. You could easily put your 10 foot board in it by placing it on the floor with one end between the front seats.

These rigs can also be found with full time 4 wheel drive and are built on a truck frame so are much sturdier than the Chrysler or Ford products.

They aren't the most glamorous rigs but ours has proven very reliable and flexible.

Wheelman

Well Back when I still had hair!!! and surfed a 9-8 Yater, Used a TR3, VW Bus, BMW 700 Sport, Chevy Nomad, Study Pick Up, Panard, and a 57 Ford Wagon. The board would fit inside of the VW Bus. It would be fun to show up at different car lots with the board and try to fit it inside just to watch the car salesmans faces!

I would go with the VW and try to find a camper model.

Problem with a mini-van is well I'm 22yrs old college student, don't get me wrong they serve a function I just don't see me in one. VW's vans are cool, kinda of a neat nostalgic surfer look to them and have always been a fan, but how do they handle? Power wise can they handle steep hills (i-5/grapevine)? The avalanche is interesting, I've been in them before and like their ride etc, it qualifies weight wise to fit under my dads construction business. But its smaller than the 02 Crew cab diesel (for sale) that was my DD before moving to LA. Still have until about febuary to decide. Thanks for the input guys!

Tyson

1962 VW Deluxe Microbus.

In daily driving of 26,000 miles per year between Corona and Brea in 91 HELLISH daily traffic, and then every-other-day blasts up to Duarte at 75+, as well as weekend chores, it costs me $345 a year in annual maintenance costs, amortized over the lifetime of the Van as I've owned it. That includes Purchase price of the van, as well as a brandy-new engine from "Strictly Foreign" (who is now up in Oregon).

If it stays at 55-60mph I get 27mpg on a 1641CC DUAL CARB (Baby Dells) setup with Engle 110 Cam and 1/25 Ratio Rockers. I can bury the speedo easily (not a feat on something that stops at 80), and driving on the freeway at 75mph just cruising along with traffic I will get 25. I have had the same sparkplugs in it as when the engine was rebuilt....over 65K miles and counting now! And people say unleaded gas is trash...

I often get people asking why I don't get something more recent. For $14K+ I will get something with A/C.........and that's about it. Some wouldsay 'safety is greater' but with your legs in front of the axle, you learn to leave driving space and not do stupid things. But the costs for one major service on a recent ANYTHING is more than I will spend on Tires and Engine Overhauls amortized over three to five years. I put a set of tires on it annually due to the mileage, I buy cheap Ohtsus that are rated at 30K miles, and cost $30 a tire (used later wheels that are 14", so the old Ohtsu Skins I take off can be used as "Storage and Roller Tires" on the Z's... 185/70-14.)

The thing on an Air Cooled VW is to do things RIGHT the first time, knuckle under and pay the $3500 (or whatever) for the good rebuild and not some econo builder operating out of his garage this week. My Hotted-Up Strictly Foreign engine at $1750 longblock was a FAR better deal than the $725 stocker I got back home, built for 'cheap'...

I prefer the 6V models that have been properly converted to 12V, simply because the wires are huge and they carry all sorts of current. Nice Bright Lights with an Alternator Upgrade (ditch the generator).

I ramble....

Problem is a 62 Microbus is not cheap. Truthfully the 68-72 models that have the Type-1 Engine can still be had relatively cheap and they do have some advantages over the earlier Split-Windows.

You may get waves, but driving the split is like therapy. Everybody waves, gives you thumbs up, honks and waves...they all want to be the 'Fat Bearded Dude in the VW Bus'...LOL

"The Dude Abides!"

on an aside, the later models were available overseas with diesel engines, so a lot of parts exist for a conversion to water-cooled Baywindow vans. I missed an opportunity for a 'gimmie' 78 Stationwagon (VW Bus) without an engine. I was ready to put in a wrecked Jetta TDI engine and be ready for 30+ mpg and PLENTY of power.

Handling? You need to do a serious life priority evaluation. If you are buying a bus for surfing, it's not for Mullohlland Drive. They will get you to seriously gnarly beaches, and up and down grades you thought mountian goats fell off. They just don't do it particularly fast.

You need to realize something, if you buy a bus, you are not in a hurry. If you're in a hurry, sell the surfboard. Like I said, driving the van is like therapy for me. I MAKES me slow down. I WANT to slow down. I ENJOY driving it. It's not an experience I want to be over.

It is the ONLY car I've owned that my wife REFUSES to let me sell (not that I ever would)...and it was the only one last year that she did't get upset over showing up 'double' overnight...(got a deal on a 66, and picked it up) her only comment was: is that one mine?

Also, Turbo Subie conversions are VERY popular if you are pulling loads. Look for vehicles on-sale here:

http://www.thesamba.com

I could go on about all the minor nuances that I did not like about my Element, but will summarize with it was minimal but reliable. My only major complaints was the lack of power and the constant rattles from all over the car after about 30k miles.

I'm sure that with both passenger seats folded flat you could fit a 10 ft. board. Some of the things I did:

Bed frame:

050209095339pr2.th.jpg

32" Pizza:

dsc00230qz7.th.jpg

Trees through rear sunroof (drove on the freeway like this):

051112000707cp6.th.jpg

Speakin of turbo subies

a regular customer that comes in (i work at starbucks) own's a VERY nice 62 bus, lowered with empi 5spokes. it's painted that light tourqois green color, but it's badly faded (looks flat now) i think he said he had a dual port 1600 and is putting in a 2.4 turbo subie engine into it ^__^.

Buses are very nice.

imagine this bus

2103152.JPG

but this color

969275-200-0.jpg

i love vw's XP

and you can make them get a pretty good chunk of power.

and there's a huge aftermarket for vw's as far as drivetrain goes, so if you want a good engine, there are plenty of builders out there.