HybridZ

Who has driven their Z in the snow?

Globerunner513

73TFallAndMWoodNo17.jpg

Might ask Tony Fall...I'm sure they have driving a Datsun in the Snow down!

Now, just a bit of history: What you see in the above photo is what Datsun's Documentary Film on the Monte Carlo Rally described as "a display of Dynamic Cornering".

Dynamic Cornering.

1970, 71, 72....et al

Today the 'newest thing on the block of motorsports' is "Drifting"...

Not that Rally Car Driver's haven't been doing it since the beginning of time. Watch these old films and see them twitch that car sideways well before the corner for exit setup.

But I digress...

Just thing of it as a free way to touch up on your driving skills.

+1 :D

I've heard several stories of successful racecar drivers who loved the rain when they were young because of the super low tire wear, saving them money.

I'm not very experienced with snow, but it seems you've got some good advice.

Just got home from school today almost got into an accident. :( Pulled out in front of a car (had no idea it was there) and almost hit it. I was lucky the car was a Subby or Id have a wrecked car. There is no way a Z or almost any other car would have been able to avoid me. Phew.

I drove my first Z in snow deep enough to drag on the bottom of the car. It was not a problem because it was all new snow and it had not iced up on the pavement yet. I was pretty concerned about it at first but once I got going and got the feel of it - it was easy to drive in.

It was the next day, after freezing all night, that it was really bad. Just drive slower, brake earlier and turn into the slides and it is not too bad.

I also drove from Reno to Fallon then out to Wabuska (sp) then down to Hawthorn and back up to Reno in a big snow storm and the fender wells filled up with snow. It gave very little clearance between the tire and the snow. Not good when you hit a bid bump!!!

Fun trip though, I like driving in bad weather.

Thanks to everyone for all the insight, and stories! Im sure there will be people in the future who will be able to benefit from this as I have.

Also a special thanks to Woldson, who was kind enough to allow me to use a set of snow tires from his 280zx for the season. I really appreciate it, and can already notice a difference.

S7000147.jpg

When I moved to Ohio in the spring of 2000, my only vehicle was a stock 1978 280Z. I drove it through the winter of 2000-2001, which included perhaps a half dozen snowfalls, each of moderate intensity, and each followed by rather haphazard plowing. On level roads there were no problems if driving modestly. But on one occasion I decided to try a slide, taking a turn going downhill at an unplowed intersection one night. The result was a spin, with the driver's side rear wheel hitting hard against the curbside. The collision caused no body damage but bent the rear suspension, causing ridiculous toe and camber on the affected wheel. From then on, a tire would wear from moderately-used to dangling steel bands in about 3000 miles, maybe less. I retired the car in the summer of 2001, when the left-rear brakes seized.

Moral: drive conservatively and you'll be OK.

i am VERY glad arizona doesn't rain much, and never snows where i live.

When i was in NC, i crashed TWICE in the rain in my 40hp 62vw because of the type of roads out there.

one time i was taking a left hand turn just a little bit too fast and it started to drift a bit BUT it was stable, and i was in control. however, the roads surfacing changed from the very smooth slick new road, to the old gritty grey road, and it made my car slip into the shoulder of the road and tip over (because of the like 60% grade of the shoulder. it tweaked the body but not the frame at all. still drove straight but it looked like a mess (a bush broke my car's fall) several months later i was on my way home and was going around a nice smooth turn, this time under the speedlimit. however, somehow there was a nice big spot of standing water that my car decided to hydroplane on, and spun my car all the way around. i got it straightened, except once again, tire slipped into the shoulder and it got dragged into the ditch. this time, somehow my car got almost no damage (compared to the first one). i hate rain. I've driven my Bronco II that i had (for 3 months, tranny went pop) in the snow before, and had no problems with it. 4 wheel drive makes a difference.

I would never drive my Z in the snow. snow scares the crap outta me.

and unless it's absolutely nessecary i will never drive my Z in the rain. Rain scares the crap outta me and rusts the z lol

tl;dr i'm rambling again....sorry