HybridZ

Is there an affordable compressor for HVLP paint guns?

zigzag240

I'm really confused over how to match HVLP paint gun specs to the specs of a compressor.

The Devilbiss HVLP guns sold by Eastwood requires 13cfm @30psi. This means that the compressor needs to be able to supply a least 13cfm@30psi, right?

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=12296&itemType=PRODUCT

But unless I spend upwards of $800, I can't find a single compressor that gets anywhere near these specs. Craftsman compressors all max out at 6.3 cfm@40 and Husky at 6.5 cfm@40. I can't believe that Home Depot would sell a "budget" $50 HVLP and expect you to buy a $1000 compressor to use it.

Am I crazy to think that you can use a HLVP gun with a lower cfm compressor? What the limit of allowed "mismatch" if the compressor is rated lower than the gun?

Comments?

you can also go to harbor freight and pick up a nice compressor for around 400-500 dollars. steves wholesale is another great source, i purchased a 60 gallon, that is rated at 13 cfi at 90 psi for 400 dollars. it is one hell of a compressor, and i never use its potential even when running air ratchets, or die grinders, the only thing i think would stress it is a dual action sander. and by the way i bought a coleman sandborn.

Thanks for the info guys.

What confused me is that compressor manufacturers rate at 40 psi, while the Devilbiss rated their guns at 30psi. It would be nice of they all standarddized on the same spec.

Derek's link is the first air gun I've seen that rates their gun for the type of compressor needed...that info is what needs to be more transparent from the sprayer companies.

Time to spray............

When looking at a compressor rating you are looking at constant use. Most of us do not use them 100% of the time especially while painting. Look for a decent compressor with a good size tank. You are only going to be painting the length of time to empty your gun. I only have trouble when using air tools that consume a lot of air and use them for a long time. And then it is time to take a break anyway.

Try Lowes. The one in Philadelphia just closed out all of the 7 1/2 hp 60 gallon units for $100.00! They could not sell them for $499.00 , so they "dumped" them.

U.S. Made Cast Iron 5 year Warranty

Go into the store and ask the Manager for the best deal he can make, if they are not priced right.

This is the kind of information ive been looking for myself but havent known where to look, and i didnt know exactly "what" to ask.

Ie do i have to worry about a time limit while painting? Ie get x amount of time painting, then wait for the tank to fill abck up before i can go again- Or if the specs of the compressor exceed the gun (compressor makes mroe cfm/psi then the rated specs of the gun), will it be able to keep up and let me shoot for an indefinate amount of time, id imagine the pump would just turn off/on to keep itself full- andl et me shoot as long as i wanted.

Little known fact about true HVLP guns: They require (accourding to manufacturers directions) a minimum of 3/8 in air lines AND fittings. A lot of people use 3/8 inch airlines but then put on 1/4 inch air nipples which reduces the amount of volume that can pass through the line. To truely get the HVLP (HIGH VOLUME LOW PRESSURE) guns to spray as they were intended, you must have the correct air supply system set up. Once I learned this and changed my hoses/fittings to what they were supposed to be, my guns spray like a dream. If you dont have the correct set up then you'll have to turn the pressure way up to get the paint to lay down smooth which renders the whole HVLP idea useless.