HybridZ

What flares does Mark Rolston have?

jeeper42

They may be steel (several write ups list them as fiberglass). They look a lot like the ones on my car, which I know are fiberglass. I think mine are the same as MSA used to carry. Mark's are close - but not exactly the same, which probably means they are custom. You could come close to his style starting with a set like I have. The problem is where to get them. There does not seem to be a source, except the odd eBay listing. Don't say Showcars (do a search if you don't get the reference). I bought mine nearly 30 years ago from my local Datsun parts department.

showphoto.php?photo=18159&cat=840

i personally went to showcars to get those flares, and he gave me flares that were not even the same.

I regret paying the near 200 I did for this shitty set of flares, but whatever.

Anyway, If they're the ones I'm thinking, and they're fibreglass... they are MSA's that he had to modify to fit.

I was interested in those flares as well. I came across a write up on his car and it listed "Al’s Bodyworks in Austin, Texas (512-836-1851)" as the ones who made them. The write up stated this particular body shop has fiberglass molds available for sale. I called up and he said he didn't have any molds and it was a mistake. He said custom fiberglass ones would be $800 and a whole lot more for metal ones. Extremely pricey for my budget. However, its an very, very nice Z. Here's the link to the write up.

http://www.viczcar.com/Featured-Rides/Mark-Rolston-s-RB26DETT-Powered-240z.html

I have been considering the flares from Black Dragon Auto. They look very similar to the MSA/Mark Rolston look. His car is by far my favorite that I've seen. I too read that VicZcar article about getting them at Al's Bodyworks. Dissapointing they don't have the molds, I LOVE those flares.

I was wondering if the flares from Black Dragon are any good. What do they look like on a Z? Is anybody on the forums running them?

I have been considering the flares from Black Dragon Auto. They look very similar to the MSA/Mark Rolston look. His car is by far my favorite that I've seen. I too read that VicZcar article about getting them at Al's Bodyworks. Dissapointing they don't have the molds, I LOVE those flares.

I was wondering if the flares from Black Dragon are any good. What do they look like on a Z? Is anybody on the forums running them?

Search and you'll find posts of people installing them. You might also search "VW Beetle flares" as they are related. I think they look good, although that is a subjective thing. They only add about 1.5 inches as I recall so not very wide. You'll see all that info when you search and read for a while.

You basically need 4 rear flares from a 1950's to 2000 model VW STANDARD beetle(not the new bug) to do an entire Z.

I think the front flares are perfect but would look better with better flares on the rear like the YZ or subtle Z rear quarters.

Or you can go to victoria's dragon an pay way too much for them.

You could also get some aftermarket fiberglass wider VW flares and work some magic...

I wasn't going to say anything about the flares on that Ralston Z but its personal opinion, so it doesn't matter :)

They don't look that good at all, particularly in the front where they don't blend in with the spoiler. I'm not sure that that style of flair can be made to really suit and blend with the S30's styling no matter how much effort goes into them, I've yet to see one anyway.

On the other hand the ZG flairs look great, maybe they could be extended a bit although as they stand how much wider with your wheels do you want to go? After a point it starts to look ridiculous, once again the S30's styling must be considered to give a balanced result.