HybridZ

Parting with my Fairlady

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL @ the comments on the Ebay car...that i just bought and set in my back yard. my plans are definitely to fix it up. it will take some work but a friend of mine (good friend mind you) just traded me a 75 parts car with some great fenders and other panels and L28 block and N42 head with R200 for the bent up fairlady grill. the passenger side floor pan is not really even there, frame rail was held up by bailling wire. at any rate, webers are frozen up, front end was hit, driver door hit and will need some pulling. spare tire well is actually rust free, lol, and of course battery box is gone and under hatch is rusted good. The headers on it actually seem like a quality brand with 1.75 primaries. tail lights are uncracked, just need cleaning, front turns are busted, front air dam in good shape (urethane). had an allison ignition. i'll be giving zedd findings and bad dog parts some business on the rails and pans. doors are good off of the parts car i'm getting. i can build a nice replacement grill for the fairlady for about $25 and it will look close enough for my tastes, if i decide to keep that, i'd really like to do a G nose some day though. Yeah its a piece and extremely rough but I wanted to save it and not see it parted out. Hell, maybe i'll make it into a wangan replica, except for the tails, lol. the 3 wheels on it are 14 by 7? work equip 3 piece. very nice!

BTW, that car there is nice and its an hour and a half closer to me than this one that i bought was. i wouldn't have bought it if i would have had to pay shipping though. half of my family lives in the PC/Lynn Haven area.

Well, I hope you prove me wrong and save that car. Ebay is a very up and down market...you get a car that people won't buy and sometimes you get people like yourself who plan to save these cars. I think saving a car is def a great thing but for people to use it as what they think their car is worth isn't so good.

Rust is rust, no matter if it is a fairlady or not. It may be worth $500 for just because it is a fairlady or more to a certain person who has a car to fix it or is great with body work. As of right now, $2000 would be pushing the limit if this car was a lhd Z. Is the cool facter worth $1000? To some yes, to others no. Like Sparky says....most cars has to be looked over long and hard...rust is always hiding. Would I pay $2000 for this car? Prob if the rust wasn't much worse from what I see and I would not plan to do a resto.

I totally understand that Evil. I hope I can prove myself right on this one. If not I've seen fairlady tails go for about $200, webers go for $600ish, the headers might fetch $75, nissan small bumper brackets for 280z like datsun spirit sells for $80, 3 work equip gold wheels, an easy $300 for a hachiroku owner. If I have to make my money back I will, but I hope that it will all stay on the car. :mparty:

I totally understand that Evil. I hope I can prove myself right on this one. If not I've seen fairlady tails go for about $200, webers go for $600ish, the headers might fetch $75, nissan small bumper brackets for 280z like datsun spirit sells for $80, 3 work equip gold wheels, an easy $300 for a hachiroku owner. If I have to make my money back I will, but I hope that it will all stay on the car. :mparty:

Possible to start your own thread, so I can see some pics? Would like to see more of your Fairlady. Plus I know a guy with some parts if you are missing anything.

Clive

I'd love to have this car. How's the L20 running? An original Fairlady Z is seriously my dream car, obviously I would swap in an L28et in time. But wow, man if I wasn't such a poor kid I'd scrape my money together and buy it.

I hope you still have it by next month, I'm in Orlando btw.

The L20 runs great. Doesn't burn oil or anything, that's what I had planned on doing is the l28et swap. I have an extra block and head I was going to use, but I'm a broke college kid.. and I must see her go. The engine runs excellent when we don't have a drastic weather change and the tune is shot. lol

Kris~

To bad for me you are on the East Coast. I would seriously consider purchasing for up to $2.000.00.

My first Z was a 1973 Fairlady Z. I shipped it from Okinawa back in 1987. It might be fun to build another one. Especially since I have a G-Nose, ZG flares and rear spoiler sitting in a spare room.

redzs.jpg

To bad for me you are on the East Coast. I would seriously consider purchasing for up to $2.000.00.

My first Z was a 1973 Fairlady Z. I shipped it from Okinawa back in 1987. It might be fun to build another one. Especially since I have a G-Nose, ZG flares and rear spoiler sitting in a spare room.

redzs.jpg

g-nose? Ever think about selling it? I think I will buy this fairlady...would love a gnose....lets talk ;)

The L20 runs great. Doesn't burn oil or anything, that's what I had planned on doing is the l28et swap. I have an extra block and head I was going to use, but I'm a broke college kid.. and I must see her go. The engine runs excellent when we don't have a drastic weather change and the tune is shot. lol

Kris~

Dude, I want to keep in contact with you.

I just blew 1500 dollars on school (I'm a poor college kid too) but I still have about 800 dollars left in my savings. I work as a busboy for tips, so sometimes the money's good and sometimes it's bad. But I know for a fact I should have at least 2k by mid to end February because my dad's hiring me with his company for 9.50 an hour after taxes. I know you probably hate to see your Z go, but if you're willing to wait. At least you'd know it's staying in FL and that while I'm a n00b it's going to a good home.

What's is this "paint meter"?

Numerical value, that tells you if there is any bondo or glass under the paint. Very good way to find out if you are buying a rusted bucket that was just glassed or bondo then hit with a decent paint job. PAINT HIDES EVERYTHING.

Clive

well, looks like a decent Fairlady project.

I was very happy to pay $1000 for mine a few years back and it was in much worse condition.

One mans junk is another mans treasure.

Just because you were gladly able and wanting to pay $!000 for it, does not mean it was worth that.

Rust is rust and Fairladys are not worth more dollars wise than a 240, 260 or 280. Bling facter can't be added into real worth. Honestly the Fairlady in question, if it was a 73 240Z....it would be worth $1000 as a driver. Is it now worth $3000 because it is a Fairlady? NO. $2000 will be pushing limits of the value of the car because of how "rare" it is. This kind of talk of misleading people to make them think they have something woth $3000 -$4000 is why we have crazy Ebay prices. Then we as a group most times, question why are parts hitting these crazy prices.

In some strange way, Ebay and the general misconception of certain Z's.....is the Barrett Jackson auctions for our Z's. People hear and see things and now the rusty Z pile they have is worth $$$$$.

And to be clear, I myself is trying to purchase this car for a fair price, so please do not take my write ups as trying to stop anyone from buying the car or getting it cheaper. I am just trying to educate myself and others.

Clive

Numerical value, that tells you if there is any bondo or glass under the paint. Very good way to find out if you are buying a rusted bucket that was just glassed or bondo then hit with a decent paint job. PAINT HIDES EVERYTHING.

Clive

I figured that much out already.

I guess I should have been more specific what IS a "Paint meter?" How does it function? It sounds like it is some sort of tool, but have not heard of such a thing.

I figured that much out already.

I guess I should have been more specific what IS a "Paint meter?" How does it function? It sounds like it is some sort of tool, but have not heard of such a thing.

Hope this helps. I should of explained better. It basically measures paint thickness. Here is a look at what may look like and its useage.

http://www.defelsko.com/applications/dft-app/automotive-paint-meter.htm