HybridZ

Parting with my Fairlady

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it makes you feel any better or worse, my max bid was $1050, bid about 30 minutes left, then got off the internet before I tried to spend more and let it take its course. Thats ALL I had to spend so thats what I bid. My buddy is willing to give me $300 for the 3 Work wheels on it. So that helps a lot, and sorry for the TJ.

I spent $1000 for one in rougher appearance...to the untrained eye.

But when you realize it was a 71 Fairlady that was imported to the US in 76 from mid-Japan, and that it spent it's entire life from 76-91 in the Phoenix AZ area.... Rust does not come into the photo.

Sure, it's rough looking. But rought looking and solid is way better than rough looking and rusty!

At least that's how I rationalize spending that much on it.

My other 3 Fairladies I got were nowhere near that price. Matter of fact, one was outright given to me! So that knocks down the 71's cost, right?

And generally, contrary to opinions otherwise, I have found Fairlady Z's generally sell for a premium above what a comparably conditioned LHD model would sell. If you have a $700 75 280Z, chances are a Fairlady Z in similar condition will sell for more, anywhere from a couple of hundred, to up to $1000 more. I rarely have seen Fairlady Z's command more than $1000 more than the comparably conditioned LHD Model of similar vintage. To most people they ARE worth more. I have bought them from people for money when I would never even consider an LHD model in similar condition. Some stuff is worth having around, just in case you need it.

What's an uncracked 73 Fairlady Z Dashboard worth? Muahahahaha!

I spent $1000 for one in rougher appearance...to the untrained eye.

But when you realize it was a 71 Fairlady that was imported to the US in 76 from mid-Japan, and that it spent it's entire life from 76-91 in the Phoenix AZ area.... Rust does not come into the photo.

Sure, it's rough looking. But rought looking and solid is way better than rough looking and rusty!

At least that's how I rationalize spending that much on it.

My other 3 Fairladies I got were nowhere near that price. Matter of fact, one was outright given to me! So that knocks down the 71's cost, right?

And generally, contrary to opinions otherwise, I have found Fairlady Z's generally sell for a premium above what a comparably conditioned LHD model would sell. If you have a $700 75 280Z, chances are a Fairlady Z in similar condition will sell for more, anywhere from a couple of hundred, to up to $1000 more. I rarely have seen Fairlady Z's command more than $1000 more than the comparably conditioned LHD Model of similar vintage. To most people they ARE worth more. I have bought them from people for money when I would never even consider an LHD model in similar condition. Some stuff is worth having around, just in case you need it.

What's an uncracked 73 Fairlady Z Dashboard worth? Muahahahaha!

Thats what I am saying, a few hundreds dollar more.

TonyD, since you are a owner of several rhd's....would you say this one in question is worth $3000-$3700? Like you said, you bought some fairladies in condition you would never buy a US s30 in the same condition. Don't get me wrong they are more rare and worth more but $2000 more than a s30 in the same condition. If it had uncracked dash...I would pay $4000 for the car! lol

TonyD...uncracked dash? lol, thats gonna be one of my great finds.

Clive

Just because you were gladly able and wanting to pay $!000 for it, does not mean it was worth that.

so true. Its only worth what someone will pay, right? I had been 'shopping' for an S30 2-seater RHD for about 3 years prior to my purchase. By use of eBay and Zcar forums I had a good idea of what Fairlady Zs sell for in ok to rough condition. Every single Fairlady I saw sold fairly quickly. When I found the one local in Washington I purchased it right away. Based on my findings, it was worth it for what the Z market was in 2001.

Rust is rust and Fairladys are not worth more dollars wise than a 240, 260 or 280.

It seems most people would consider RHD worth more. However there are many Z car fans that do not even want a RHD Z so they of course wouldn't pay more... they might be the people who only take it if its free. I would pay more for a certain Fairlady. I passed up a couple 2+2's though because it wasn't what I wanted. If you choose not to pay more that is your choice. You may or may not find a Fairlady in your price range then.

Honestly the Fairlady in question, if it was a 73 240Z....it would be worth $1000 as a driver. Is it now worth $3000 because it is a Fairlady? NO. $2000 will be pushing limits of the value of the car because of how "rare" it is.

I tend to think of the northwest as having a plentiful supply of old Datsuns which generally keeps the price low in comparison to the rest of the USA... but seriously, a LHD Z in that shape that runs would easily demand a bit more than a grand. $1500 maybe but I wasn't really trying to put a price tag on that red one.

This kind of talk of misleading people to make them think they have something woth $3000 -$4000 is why we have crazy Ebay prices.

I made no claim to the value of his car. I only mentioned what I paid and that his car looked decent. I wasn't misleading anyone.

However I did not mention the differences to the car that I purchased which were (IMO) better than the 73 posted here.

Overall, it seems that the first year Z cars have a bit more value than others. Mine is a 1970 and fairly low vin. All things considered I'm confident I paid a fair price and juding by what I had seen in the market the car would have sold right away had I not purchased it.

And to be clear, I myself is trying to purchase this car for a fair price, so please do not take my write ups as trying to stop anyone from buying the car or getting it cheaper. I am just trying to educate myself and others.

I don't intend to suggest you pay a lot for it. By my original comment I was suggesting it is worth more than a thousand bucks... that's all. Good luck with the purchase.

BleachZee

I get where you are coming from. If you, as in anyone wants something you have to be willilng to pay for it. Like you said, it all depends on the market of who is buying the car that dictates the price. To the untrained eyes, this Fairlady looks like a great project car and only needs quaters. I would pay $2000 going into it knowing the car is rough and needs MAJOR work. In that statement said, I am agreeing that the car is worth more than a LHD s30. I take back my earlier statement. I guess I was trying to say, just because it is a Fairlady that doesn't stop it from being inspected and judge for the same rust issues.

Just from the pics....anyone of use with Z knowledge can tell this car needs:

Quaters

rocker panels

rails

tail light panel

Battery tray

fender and door reworked

We all know if there is that much rust in the pics, then there is rust we can't see and won't until the car is taken apart.

So what am I trying to say? I guess I do not want newer guys or gals to Z's to think every Fairlady is worth $1000's of dollars. Some guys here, including myself are able to pay a little more than what a car is really worth because we either have the money to jump into the project, have parts we know we can use or have crazy skills so that the "project" becomes cheap and it is labor of love. This is words to the wise to the member who is looking to take out a loan to buy the car......trust me....and I know someone here will back me.....you are getting yourself into a MAJOR project and everyone will tell you...RUST IS THE MOST EXPENSIVE PART OF ANY BUILD.

I think this is a good thread with lots of points of view and glad everyone has kept their cool =)

Well, this thread is going to go on for forever. I am asking 3500$ on local forums -Yes OBO- . As everyone can see from this forum, some people would pay 5000$ for a mustang where others would eat their own :puke: it's a matter of what you want and what your willing to pay for what you want.

I bought the car at the wrong time, if I wasn't investing money in college and other things I would hang on to her.

Shoot me some offers through PM or we can work up some contact information and chat.

Thank you all.

And thank you EvilC, I enjoyed talking with you! 260 parts this spring??

The car is REALLY rough, and that's being kind. Maybe I have a skewed perspective being on the 'left coast'; but, that is ALOT of rust to deal with.

Candidly, the ONLY thing that the car has going for it are the RHD equipment, and the other jdm bits [bumpers, tail lights. grille, plates...]. There are alot of guys here who will appreciate the car, and aren't afraid of the work involved to 'make it right'; but, the only way to get a bidding war started is to list it somewhere.

Put it on eBay for $2-3k as a starting price [HATE 'Reserves'], only because of the value of certain PARTS of the car, and see where it goes. There might be a buyer out there who wants a jdm RHD Z so bad, that he will bid the price way up.

The car is REALLY rough, and that's being kind. Maybe I have a skewed perspective being on the 'left coast'; but, that is ALOT of rust to deal with.

Candidly, the ONLY thing that the car has going for it are the RHD equipment, and the other jdm bits [bumpers, tail lights. grille, plates...]. There are alot of guys here who will appreciate the car, and aren't afraid of the work involved to 'make it right'; but, the only way to get a bidding war started is to list it somewhere.

Put it on eBay for $2-3k as a starting price [HATE 'Reserves'], only because of the value of certain PARTS of the car, and see where it goes. There might be a buyer out there who wants a jdm RHD Z so bad, that he will bid the price way up.

Exactly, this site wouldn't be the best place to try and sell it. lol

Ebay would be the best bet, might hit $5000, who knows. 240z2nv I read your sig and it made me smile.....your words are true.

Clive

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have to sell my Porsche 944, but I took this car off of Kris's hands. Surprisingly the rails and undercarriage are in good shape, as is most of the car. A lot/most of the rust (not including the rear 1/4 lips) is surface rust under the last coat of paint. Looks like poor prep before it was sprayed, but it hasn't ate through. I have a 280 to get the l28 and 5-speed from so I can store the original drive train. Main concerns are getting the flares done, shocks, brakes, bushings, and then get it painted to save her before so gets to far gone. I am sure I will be in here asking questions as I go. Have been driving her for about 2 weeks now and she is surprisingly solid and great running. The straight exhaust and bullet muffler sound like a mechanical injected 2.7 911, but just too loud for everyday, so that goes on the list of changes as well.