HybridZ

Parting with my Fairlady

Alright,

I am going to put my '73 Fairlady on the market. My question is how much would this car be worth?

She still has the original L20 inline 6, with the side draft SU's on it. I polished the intakes a bit when I put headers and full exhaust on it. It has the 3-speed automatic, with an after-market Trans cooler. It will be sold with the original wheels (those are my 260's shoes). The only rust is the typical where the hatch is, which isn't near as bad as my 260 was. It has a small amount of rust along the bottom rocker panels, and the worst is the rust at the rear fenders. It is all the way through on the bottom edge but only goes up maybe 2" give or take. I was going to cut them out anyway and put the ZG flares on it. Pictures follow..

P1010470.jpg

P1010471.jpg

P1010473.jpg

P1010394.jpg

Sorry I don't have any good pictures of the bad areas. I will try to tag some if I actually have day light when I get home.

Let me know what you guys think. How much I should ask for it?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you paint the car yourself? The reason I ask is that I don't want to sound critical of your if work if you did, but my first thought is "Oh wow, there is some major work hiding under that paint." To me the rampant over spray suggests a hasty cover up by someone that didnt really care about the car but just wanted it to "not look as bad.". The interior looks ok with only some minor niggles, is the dash crack free? looks like it might have a few but its hard to tell. dig the scottish floor mats.

its really hard to say with out looking at it, my first reaction is 2,500. The auto and L20 kinda kill it for me, along with the backwards ZX door mirrors, mystery body condition and with the ru$t you've already mentioned.

The mirrors were put on there because customs told the owners that brought it from over seas you have to be able to adjust the driver's side mirror from the drivers seat.

It was re-painted but I've hit it with a paint meter and the only part that is sketchy is the rear left fender.

The L20 was only offered in the Z over seas. The auto sucks, but I have 3 280 blocks if it's a big deal to someone, and there are tons of 4 and 5 speeds out there. I was quoted 250 for one out of a running car in which I can supply the contact information.

Let me know for more information and I will offer up anything I know.

Kris~

Right, I understand the mirror situation, I'm just thinking about what I would have to consider as an immediate (or near future) expense to get the car where I would want it to be. 2,500 is just what it would be worth to me considering what my vision for the car would be and what parts I would have to purchase...same goes for the L20. I understand why its there, its just not what I would want. I'd say for a potential buyer with similar tastes and goals as I, a 5 speed (or even 4 speed) swap with an L28 would increase my desire ten fold. even a manual swap with the L20 would be more desirable to me.

Value is a strange thing, perceived completely differently by the buyer and purchaser. The right combo will yield maximum satisfaction for both parties.

I'm also getting to the point where I'm sick of repairing rust and dealing with paint and body guys. The more work there is in a car, the less desirable it is to me...selling is all in finding the right buyer.

The mirrors were put on there because customs told the owners that brought it from over seas you have to be able to adjust the driver's side mirror from the drivers seat.

It was re-painted but I've hit it with a paint meter and the only part that is sketchy is the rear left fender.

The L20 was only offered in the Z over seas. The auto sucks, but I have 3 280 blocks if it's a big deal to someone, and there are tons of 4 and 5 speeds out there. I was quoted 250 for one out of a running car in which I can supply the contact information.

Let me know for more information and I will offer up anything I know.

Kris~

It's worth what someone is willing to pay for an L20 equipped car with rust and a rough respray. To me, the farther the car is from LHD and near mint condition equals another magnitude of expense over buying a US spec model. You might get more for it in Japan than the US, who knows. What do you have nvested in it and for how much are you willing to let it go for? I would put some feelers out at japanesenostalgiccar.com too. and classiczcars.com and zcar.com

Put it on ebay and see what happens. Here is one going on now. This one is in bad shape. It is up to $1,000.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=020&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=300191292484&rd=1

I spoke to that guy when he first listed the car, I have been watching it and it seems like a "friend" maybe bidding it up. The reserve on the car was a $1000 and that car is in rough rough shape. I told him that car was basically a parts car to someone looking to do a RHD swap. That car was sitting in a junk yard for years, titled as 70 car, tail lights are not too clean, 40's webers, rallye clock and a few other good parts. I can't see someone buying it for $1000 or more and trying to fix it but who knows....hope it ends up in good hands!

The car sat in a garage in Panama City, not the beach, ever sense the lady and her husband brought it back from Japan in 1983. Her husband was re-assigned here at Tyndall AFB. They drove it on good days and it slept in the garage the rest of the time. A few years after her husband died it sat in the garage for 2 1/2 years untouched.

Four yrs ago someone backed into the left rear side and you can see the patch job. During that they "Fixed" the right rear fender and re-painted the whole car. I have no idea what body shop would have let it leave looking like it did w/ the over spray and the horrible job they did on the fenders. By the paint meter the rear fenders are the only areas that have body, the rest of the car reads even. I will borrow the meter from work again this weekend and check over the car once again to confirm.

The car is titled in Florida, with a clean title (fender bender was not claimed). It has somewhere around 140k kilometers, so 87k miles.

The engine runs great. I rebuilt the carbs. at my place of employment, and drained the tank at their house. I also changed the oil, flushed the brakes and put in another coil before I started her up and drove it away. The transmission is a little shady when the fluid is cold, but once it's warmed up I haven't had any problems with it. The only factory gauge that doesn't work is the water temp. So I put an auto meter in a single gauge pod next to the left leg.

I originally posted the car to see what people thought it was worth, I haven't taken the pictures yet to really get it on the market. I work till 5 then have school until 9, so I will have to post more detailed pictures this weekend when I have day light to take several more shots. I know everyone has their opinion on the best Z and setup and some people are tired of working on them.

The right person will find this car, but I still need some more opinions on prices. The only people who have said anything are people who wouldn't buy it in the first place. Think of it as an offer :shock:

I will post more pictures this weekend, sooner if possible.

Kris~

Here are a few more pictures. Insted of loading the Thread down with pictures here is a link to my Photobucket.

http://s113.photobucket.com/albums/n217/Tildien/Fair%20Lady/

The rust and work on the fenders stops around 3 inches up. I can supply a contact for good metal fenders or fiber glass.

I havn't inspected the frame rail at all. I've never had a chance to get it on a lift. They are always full up at work.

The floor pans are in good condition. No rust that i've seen.

The dash is in good condition except for those 2 little spots in the photo.

And there has been work done on the rear hatch area, can't see how bad it is. No worse than my 260 was, I know that!

Class is starting, PM me or thread it up.

Kris~

Thanks for the new pictures, they speak volumes.

I think what we are seeing is the potential for a lot of hidden rust. The front fender frame rail shot says quite a bit to me as most of the S30s with this kind of rot at the fenders/frame rail and hatch area had major I$$ues 95% of the time.

I guess I just see rust and cringe...without a physical inspection and a few hours its just a guess on my part.

Even with those new photos though I would still say that 2,500 is a fair price...maybe a bit less if more is found during inspection.

LOL @ the comments on the Ebay car...that i just bought and set in my back yard. my plans are definitely to fix it up. it will take some work but a friend of mine (good friend mind you) just traded me a 75 parts car with some great fenders and other panels and L28 block and N42 head with R200 for the bent up fairlady grill. the passenger side floor pan is not really even there, frame rail was held up by bailling wire. at any rate, webers are frozen up, front end was hit, driver door hit and will need some pulling. spare tire well is actually rust free, lol, and of course battery box is gone and under hatch is rusted good. The headers on it actually seem like a quality brand with 1.75 primaries. tail lights are uncracked, just need cleaning, front turns are busted, front air dam in good shape (urethane). had an allison ignition. i'll be giving zedd findings and bad dog parts some business on the rails and pans. doors are good off of the parts car i'm getting. i can build a nice replacement grill for the fairlady for about $25 and it will look close enough for my tastes, if i decide to keep that, i'd really like to do a G nose some day though. Yeah its a piece and extremely rough but I wanted to save it and not see it parted out. Hell, maybe i'll make it into a wangan replica, except for the tails, lol. the 3 wheels on it are 14 by 7? work equip 3 piece. very nice!

BTW, that car there is nice and its an hour and a half closer to me than this one that i bought was. i wouldn't have bought it if i would have had to pay shipping though. half of my family lives in the PC/Lynn Haven area.