HybridZ

racing harness street problems

aziza z

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=300408

This is a quote from of the evo members:

In SoCal you will for sure get attention from the police for having a rollbar and hopefully your seats aren't red, but those 2 aren't going to get you any tickets. But don't use a harness on the street, a friend of mine got a ticket for using a 5-point while driving around. Keep your stock belt in place and use that while daily driving the car.

-----------

73's gotta lap belt... i'm planning on clicking it in if i get pulled over.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So I'm in a similar position as Matt and I'm trying to decide what would be the best option for me. I recently purchased racing type seats, so a 4-point harness is now an option. So based on safety both on and off the track I’m thinking of keeping my 3-point belts for the street and adding the 4-point for the track. If I go with this option I need to figure out the best way to install the 4-point setup.

1. Use a PDK bar. I still haven’t heard if this is a viable option or not.

2. Weld in a single bar between the struts like Myron did.

3. Bolt on to strut bolt like hughdogz (I’d like to see a picture of that install).

I don’t want to install a cage, as the consensus is that it isn’t safe on the road. So what’s my best option? If a 4-point system is the way to go I also need to figure out which system to buy.

If you're doing track days I'd do a 4 point roll bar and attach the harnesses to that. The other options would all work as well. gramercyjam had a hook welded to a rear strut tower that he used to attach his harnesses to. I think he might have pics in his album. I know he posted them here a couple years back.

If you're doing track days I'd do a 4 point roll bar and attach the harnesses to that.

I'm worried about the safety of a roll bar on the street. I'm on the tall side and I don't want to bang my head on it. From the pictures I've seen it limits positioning of the seats as well.

I'm worried about the safety of a roll bar on the street. I'm on the tall side and I don't want to bang my head on it. From the pictures I've seen it limits positioning of the seats as well.

Although it's not my favorite design, the Autopower bar is pretty good in both of these respects, if you wanted a roll bar.

As far as the strut bar with gramercyjam's setup, I'd weld the tube between the towers themselves not between the harness mounts. Of course, then the question is if you already have the tube welded in, why not just hook the harnesses to it?

Maybe I just wasn’t paying attention, but why has no one raised the subject of difficulty of living with a 5-point harness in a daily driver? I tried this in my Z on the street, and while it can be done, it’s unpleasant, inconvenient and ultimately will cause you to slack off (literally) and not engage all 5 points. Once you strap yourself in, you can not reach the handle of an open door, you’re helpless if you drop your keys, and while driving it is hard to turn around to check in your blind spots.

Eventually I gave up and reinstalled the stock seat belts, in addition to the 5-point (Simpson rapid-release) harness. This is with a Kirkey “drag race†seat.

Maybe I just wasn’t paying attention, but why has no one raised the subject of difficulty of living with a 5-point harness in a daily driver? I tried this in my Z on the street, and while it can be done, it’s unpleasant, inconvenient and ultimately will cause you to slack off (literally) and not engage all 5 points. Once you strap yourself in, you can not reach the handle of an open door, you’re helpless if you drop your keys, and while driving it is hard to turn around to check in your blind spots.

Eventually I gave up and reinstalled the stock seat belts, in addition to the 5-point (Simpson rapid-release) harness. This is with a Kirkey “drag race†seat.

I've posted my similar experiences several times. In addition to all that you listed, I couldn't reach the window cranks which was a real bummer in SoCal. The worst is trying to go through a fast food drive through! I drove around with a harness for about a week and then bolted the seatbelt in on top of it. When I drove on the street I'd use the seatbelt and latch the harness behind the seat. When I went to the track I'd pull the harness out and use it.

i ended up just welding a brace in like myron did. looks great. ill try and get a pic up soon.
I'm thinking that may be the best solution for me as well.

Michael,

That's why I'm planning on running my stock setup (well close to stock) as well as the racing harness. setup

• 2 weeks later...

ok, the final word in CA is that any kind of proven safety restraint system above 3 point is considered street legal and 100% safe.

if you think about it, cops care that you have your seatbelt secured, who really cares if there are more points and secured safer than stock?

i have had several convorsations with local authorities in NORCAL (nazis i swear) and i was told by the chief of walnut creek police that "a certified 4,5, or 6 point, not a dinky no name brand, is 100% approved and actually welcomed. safety first"

peace

• 2 years later...

I run the Schroth 4-point system in my 71 240. I mount the harness using the stock lap-belt positions and I also bolt it to the shock tower in two places. I have never been in an accident with this particular car (for which I am thankful). The mountings all seem really solid. I would shy away from mounting them on a STB, unless we're talking about something that has been welded in and is, now, effectively part of the frame/sub structure of the body. There's several different 4 and 5 point systems I know of that are DOT approved (Schroth and Simpson both make streetable harnesses, I believe).

I have been pulled over and ticketed in this vehicle, once. However, the officer didn't ask any probing questions or ask to see anything on the vehicle other than my license, registration and proof of insurance. He actually complimented me on the car, I was embarrassed though because my passenger's side window crank had fallen off and I couldn't roll down the window for him. He said he clocked me at 84, but wrote the ticket for 75, since I wasn't a ****. This was on the 805 heading south by Home Ave. in San Diego, CA.

I guess the idea is: don't cause major trouble on the road (i.e. reckless driving), respect the badge (I never really liked cops, myself, but I can empathize with them and we need them) and don't advertise (for more reasons than just cops, thieves are plenty in this area).

Edited by kamikaZeS30

I run the Schroth 4-point system in my 71 240. I mount the harness using the stock lap-belt positions and I also bolt it to the shock tower in two places. I have never been in an accident with this particular car (for which I am thankful). The mountings all seem really solid. I would shy away from mounting them on a STB, unless we're talking about something that has been welded in and is, now, effectively part of the frame/sub structure of the body. There's several different 4 and 5 point systems I know of that are DOT approved (Schroth and Simpson both make streetable harnesses, I believe).

2bitchslap.gif

The ONLY safe way to mount a harness is to a welded in roll bar. there are alot more factors in to mounting a harness then just making sure the mounts themselves are solid.

IMHO, I would take no seat belt, over one mounted to the strut tower.

Edited by hoov100

The OEM belts allow your upper body to move forward enough to ensure you don't slip under the lap belt. OEM belts auto adjust to make their configuration work properly. They allow considerable freedom of movement.

There are a lot of differences in racing harnesses that are not obvious until you wear one. You have to tighten a racing harness in a specific order. If you skip parts then you end up pulling the lap belt out of position when you tighten the shoulders. You can't wear a "partial" racing harness without casuing seious injury in even a minor crash. It takes time to assemble and tighten the harness. It is highly restrictive once you are in. You can't pull your door closed or reach anything on the passenger side. You can't touch your feet or even scratch your calf.