HybridZ

240z with Corvette IFS in local classifieds...

I'd guess C4 suspension. Benefits would be reduced scrub and better camber control. Downsides could be reduced torsional stiffness in the chassis if this wasn't done right and more than likely the car hasn't been setup.

I think there's some gain to be had doing something like this but it needs to be balanced front to rear or in the end you'll end up with a lot of work and not much payoff.

• 1 year later...

I have input. I just learned a little about the C4-C5 Corvette front suspension. It has the double A-arms that give the camber gain desired but instead of having a normal spring and shock combo, it uses a single leaf spring (a one piece composite type) spread between the two lower control arms. It reduces overall front end weight and its also less unsprung weight. Half of the A-arms, half of the shock, half of the outer tie rod, and half of the spring all are considered to be unprung weight. With the Corvette's front suspension there's only one quarter of the already light leaf spring (thinking for individual side) instead of the heavier coil springs. In fact I want to do a custom suspension on my Z whenever I get around to that part and I was still comtemplating what to do for it and this is what I want to do. I now know how to design the proper geometry and anti-dive, and stuff and the leaf spring with the Corvette styled suspension will need a special crossmember and since I'll be having an SR20 in it I'll have plenty of room for to fabricate it in. In fact I wanted to ask people if they have photos of the suspension (on the Corvette, not the Z) so I can have a better idea of whats going on in it and to see what GM did so they didn't have to add shackles to the LCAs. So I replied here instead of making a new thread, bring on the photos...I've searched yahoo and google images but haven't came up with anything good yet.

• 4 years later...

Hi my name is Dave new to here actually I bought the car it's crazy, full frame, body channeled over frame, all steel flares and bodywork, rear quarters split and made wider, full 2" roll cage, lay down koni coil-overs rear and front konis, full C4 suspension front and rear the list goes on and on very luck to get it, a few of my buddies have be auto crossing for decades and say this car is over the top, whish I knew who did it

JUST SIGNED UP THE OTHER DAY AND CAN'T FIGURE HOW TO POST PICTURES ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT

THANKS DAVE

I'm also dying to see pics. Here's a thread on how to post pics: http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/57387-%E2%80%9Chow-to%E2%80%9D-post-pictures-on-hybridz-the-easy-way%E2%80%A6/

I build a lot of street rods and street cars this is pretty easy actually, I do my own paint & body, fab, wiring, engine builds pretty much all of it. As far as "Deep Pockets" most people over spend on parts and upgrades they don't need I learned from Boyd that simpler is always better, and if you shop around you can get super deals espically on Craigslist. Here are 3 of my better cars, the 1932 Ford is a Coddington build that I've done a bunch of upgrading to make it a driver, the ford Falcon I'm just finishing up all the interior and wiring and having new wheels made, and the 63 Fulie Split Window was a car I drove and worked on when I was just starting and was lucky enough to be able to buy it, and I'm in the process of building a Veilside Fortune LS1 RX-7, and a Arizona Z suspension for my 16yo 1973 z with a Vortech/LT1 we had laying around. So as far as deep pockets I work a full time job and build cars after hours to be able to afford to do what I want it's a lot of work but I try to teach my son to work hard and try to get a head as no one is going to hand it to you.

post-42318-0-62434300-1387816242_thumb.jpg

post-42318-0-77696100-1387816285_thumb.jpg

post-42318-0-05391400-1387816310_thumb.jpg

post-42318-0-10037200-1387816411_thumb.jpg

Thank you for the complment we have a ton of them butt need thin the herd got this impulse buying as evething is such a great deal now I'm overloaded with them. Getting rid of a bunch just to see an end of it. You have the Q45 rear-end I see how does that seem to work? was thinking possibly vette again

Thanks Dave

Thank you for the complment we have a ton of them butt need thin the herd got this impulse buying as evething is such a great deal now I'm overloaded with them. Getting rid of a bunch just to see an end of it. You have the Q45 rear-end I see how does that seem to work? was thinking possibly vette again

Thanks Dave

That rear set up is holding strong , I think that the key to a reliable/enjoyable LS1 conversion on an early Z is to make that sexy body stout.  :icon47:

• 2 weeks later...

Please start a build thread 240zvette! Or if you already have let me know I am very interested to see all the work done on this as this is the approach I wanted to take towards my z! Thanks for posting the pics and it looks like she's going to be a lot of fun.

• 1 month later...

I will be hopefully starting on the car after i do my son's 2 Z cars one kinda stock the other flared now may add reaction YZ kit I have laying around, the 240zvette is in storage so hard to get pictures if I get some will post. I'll keep you posted. I'll try to post some pictures of son's cars he 16 and really getting into it we just picked up a flared,webber,caged pretty decent one, makes #7 not too bad for $2500 runs great very solid never really seen those flares before any idea's?

Thanks Dave

post-42318-0-51271600-1391962647_thumb.jpeg

post-42318-0-56752400-1391962685_thumb.jpeg

post-42318-0-98856800-1391962779_thumb.jpg

post-42318-0-72138100-1391962812_thumb.jpg

post-42318-0-91208500-1391962868_thumb.jpg