HybridZ

Mike Kelly's Zcar Project

Got the mustache bar orientation properly aligned and mounted, and mounted the differential.  Note about the lower portion of the front mount.  My buddy that picked the diff up for me didn't retain the hardware so I cut that lower piece flush and then used a very thick harmonic balancer washer as a spacer.  It was perfect diameter to the bolt.  

In this pic you can see how the differential sits compared to the other components.

43D24670-5503-4D3B-857D-E2ADEE687712_zps

This picture shows the front mount.

2B6214E4-5175-4AA0-81CF-5083637E5810_zps

This picture shows the front mount pickup point.

B6CD5494-D5B2-4842-91C1-2FEA3BACAB66_zps

This picture shows the mustache bar assembly mounted in place.

704A1B39-CBED-4FE9-AD5F-233308FA63E6_zps

This shows the tools used in bolting the diff to Mustache bar.

587AE793-0CE7-49A4-A8FE-988047DD49D8_zps

This shows how the diff sits in the chassis from behind the car. 

D95CB056-2FE2-4F5C-B0E6-F81212606CD4_zps

Edited by Mikelly

The suspension uprigth and hub assembly finally mounted up... 

051B6604-CF1E-41E1-882A-E0C8041DE75A_zps

Hard to see from here, but I'm guessing I'm at well over 4 degrees negative camber on the rear with the settings maxed... Maybe 5 degrees...

5116C2B8-2A20-403F-9E41-A664B8C3F8F2_zps

Edited by Mikelly

This afternoon I decided to do a few more things in the shop... since I am making decent progress.... So I went ahead and pulled the clutch kit, took my slide hammer and removed the TKO pilot bearing and installed the T56 pilot bearing and the scattershield plate. I will get the clutch kit installed in the next day or two... Then its back to the T56 and wrapping it up...

Major, nay, HUGE hurdle overcome this evening...

Sorted the guide pins/shift rails on the T56 and rebuilt 2/3rds of the transmission this evening...

ADD8D168-2C22-4E84-8E8B-4F85AEA73AB7_zps

A4B6E001-13F8-48B9-A7EB-DE4CBA5C9049_zps

3E05E02C-8B47-40D4-8505-D7D9E1D26FC5_zps

I need to press the last gear in place, clean up the tail shaft, install the stacks for 5/6 counter and reverse, and reinstall the case and this puppy is back together... from there, it is back in the car.. Once that is done, I will do a string alignment, and get this friggin monster off to tuning and ready for some shakedowns in February at Shenandoah speedway or Summit Point...

Edited by Mikelly
  • Like 1

This afternoon I managed to plumb the rear brakes and install the axle seals on the differential. We are getting some nasty weather this weekend thru Monday so I will have some time to wrench the car and wrap up the transmission rebuild and maybe get it into the car.

Mike,

I can't wait to hear how your initial shakedown runs go.  I've been following your and Matt's threads for 3-4 years now since I got my S30.  Seeing you guys make progress on these amazing builds keeps me going on my car (a modest build by comparison).  It is depressing when months go by and I don't get to do anything with my car due to work/life, but seeing you continue to make and share your progress really does do a lot for me and probably others.

Tim

I got the transmission completed today, and rebuilt the driveshaft with the correct ends. Then I went ahead and reinstalled the flywheel, clutch and pressure plate, measured the depth for the hydraulic release bearing and mounted it up, plumbed it, and I am close to reinstalling everything back into the car.

E7AB865A-8819-4D4E-9249-78CEC9C8DB57_zpsTruckin' right along... Just clearanced the Quicktime bellhousing.. it is a very TIGHT fit with the two sections of bolt ring removed.  Should have the transmission in by the weekend!!

Edited by Mikelly

Played hooky today from work and got the T56 mounted up to the motor.  Had a few tense moments when the transmission initially wouldn't rotate or shift gears... I Poured some Royal Purple thru it and it magically started working... go figure...

Driveline sits very straight and pretty flush under the car... 

F1B74575-179A-4EC7-AE1A-87370B99268B_zps

FD0B02BD-67E6-42F4-8FB4-2E96FD6294E6_zps51D947DA-87C5-4DF4-B24A-7008EDBFDACF_zps

Def. going to need a longer driveshaft!

37B096EB-0DD6-4861-B720-2564C4B7E565_zps

Probably will need to clearance the trans cooler fitting up high on the right side as the line rubs a smidgen:

C06A3E15-4265-4BFF-9C2D-B14F3B57B232_zps

Driver side is fine:

8FF668CF-BE3E-407C-A76B-96979CF3F320_zps

So today the plan is to go ahead and mount up the trans support brace for good, and then fabricate plates to weld in and add strength to the areas where the brace used to sit for the TKO600.  This list is getting ever shorter...

Install CV axles, fill diff with LSD Friction modifier (4 oz) and diff fluid (3.6 Q).  

Make shifter enclosure panel. for console (I have some cool little composite panel for this.)

Bleed rear brakes

Bleed Clutch

Resolve leak in front brake union below Master Cylinder

Fabricate heat barrier to protect master cylinder from header heat

And of course I need to have the driveshaft made to proper length.  Some how the one i have is shorte, which is totally baffling.  The TKO was a shorter gearbox.  The T56 is a longer gearbox.  I guess the bellhousing on the T56 was a lot shallower than that of the TKO600.  Anyway, I'll be selling the existing unit since I won't be using it.  

Mike

Probably not. My goal is getting track time in and getting my time trial license so I can run the ultimate track car challenge if possible.

Mike

NIce goals, Mike. I'll be following your progress, great work! Soon I'll be tracking out west, safety stuff (fuel cell, cage) being finalized first. 

• Like 1

"1 step forward"...  The axle centers are a tad to long for my Arizona Zcar cromoly rear control arms...  I'm going to have to get the new centers long before we see any test runs...

is the part number I will need to order... It is 5/8ths inch shorter than the current centers spec'ed for the build on the IRS.