HybridZ

Mike Kelly's Zcar Project

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I spent several hours cleaning up the case and the parts of the Differential that I will be using.  I installed new races for the pinion and flange bearings, new bearings on the new LSD and swapped the 3.55 gear from the old diff to the new LSD.  I'm ready to start the process of shimming the differential for proper gear lash and then final assembly.  Messing with differentials can eat up time if you're not used to building or installed... Amazed at how much time I spent yesterday just getting it ready to put back together.

• 3 weeks later...

Work and "Stuff" have ground my project to a hault.  I'm getting ready to remove the rear differential and trans (along with the motor) and sell them (not the motor) to those who have bought them.  Might get that process started this coming week.  For now I'll finish up the rear LSD install today hopefully.

Rear Suspension/Q45 driveline was sold off and I have the transmission out of the car and ready to be boxed up and sent south to the gulf as well.  Making progress.  Will be ordering all the T56 rebuilt parts this week!

Mike

Edited by Mikelly

Had a few people ask me offline what the true cost of going to the ford 8.8 was costing me, so I figured I would put it here...

8.8 center unit/pumpkin and axles from pickapart - $140.00

Ford Racing track-lok LSD and complete differential rebuild kit - $309.00

CV Axle parts from Mooreparts.com to use Porsche 930 axles - $390.00 

Ford truck Axles and Dodge intrepid hubs - $209.00

Complete conversion kit made by Will - $1100.00

I sold my R200/Q45 MML setup to another member for $1100 with no shipping required because he picked it up.  so that's a nice off-set on what the total cost was, but assume $2100 for this conversion.  So what's it get you anyway?  It gets me serviceable parts same day from most dealers in the FORD network and more importantly, GEAR selections and LSD availability for very reasonable costs.  The Nissan stuff, although strong, isn't always easy to get parts for and I don't know of anyone local to me that services them.  I'm sure they are out there, but I haven't found them.  Even MORE important to me, is the fact that the intrepid hups and the Ford differential parts are VERY easy to service and replace parts on if I am at the track.  As a matter of fact, the differential centers are cheap enough, I could see having two units sitting in the car trailer ready to swap with taller or shorter gears.  

Anyway, that's enough on the topic of differentials and why I switched.

All CV Axle parts are in...

All T56 rebuild parts are in...

Time to start getting dirty.  What I'd like to see happen is the differential completely done and back together along with the axles together.  I've like to be able to install the rear diff and get the car back on the ground ASAP.  Will should have the parts in the mail on Tuesday, and if all goes well I will have the diff in by the Sunday after Thanks giving.

If all goes REALLY well I'll have the Aston Martin/Cobra bits installed in the trans and have it back together as well.  As of now I'll break even on the transmission swap and the rear diff will have cost me $1000 out of pocket.

All CV Axle parts are in...

All T56 rebuild parts are in...

Time to start getting dirty.  What I'd like to see happen is the differential completely done and back together along with the axles together.  I've like to be able to install the rear diff and get the car back on the ground ASAP.  Will should have the parts in the mail on Tuesday, and if all goes well I will have the diff in by the Sunday after Thanks giving.

If all goes REALLY well I'll have the Aston Martin/Cobra bits installed in the trans and have it back together as well.  As of now I'll break even on the transmission swap and the rear diff will have cost me $1000 out of pocket.

Mikelly:

What are the Aston Martin/Cobra bits in the T56 transmission?

...In other news, I just ordered new main shaft, cluster, gears, rebuild kit, blockers, shift forks, and other bits to completely overhaul the T56. Gonna be a beast of a transmission.

Mikelly:

What type T56 main shaft was put on order?  Ford, Dodge, GM etc.

Got the T56 completely stripped down today and parts in the parts washer. The new Mainshaft will require new bearings, but everything else is going together very well. I bought new steel blockers, carbon syncros, and other bits. The 5th and 6th cluster are now installed on the counter shaft. 3rd gear is installed now along with the new blocker.

Hope to get those parts in and get it all back together asap. Getting close to having the box back together.

Made the decision a month or so ago to upgrade my discbrake system on the car to something more substantial. So the Mustang Cobra/wilwood two piece kit for all four wheels will be forsale shortly. Anyone interested should contact me now. I have multiple sets of street and track pads along with the braded brake lines and speedbleeders included.

Got the T56 completely stripped down today and parts in the parts washer. The new Mainshaft will require new bearings, but everything else is going together very well. I bought new steel blockers, carbon syncros, and other bits. The 5th and 6th cluster are now installed on the counter shaft. 3rd gear is installed now along with the new blocker.

Hope to get those parts in and get it all back together asap. Getting close to having the box back together.

Concerning the T-56, the main shaft will now be the weak link in the drivetrain.

Concerning the T-56, the main shaft will now be the weak link in the drivetrain.

And I suppose the other mainshaft at questionable use and mileage wasn't?  Anyone who has followed this 59 paged of build will fully get what I'm about to say... At some point IT'S ALL WEAK LINKS.  

The guys at thegearbox.org use this same setup in their racecars.  In a 2500# car, running a pump and three ports for fluid re circulation in a roadrace application if I break this one, then I'll build another with the viper bits.  But the cost would have been double and based on what I've been reading and what others have experienced I doubt it will be an issue for me.

Edited by Mikelly