HybridZ

TR's 260z L28 Build Thread

Ooooh ahhhh new wheels and tires. Well, old wheels, but new tires.

Found out these are "Western" brand wheels. The paint is cracking on one or two of them and will need a respray, and all of them are pretty dirty, but they look freakin sweet I think. The mags were cool... these are hot. Look at that wheel gap!

The tires are "Epic Tour", usually $60 each but got them for $40 wholesale with free mount and balance, and they're 205/70/R14.

IMG_3135_thumb.JPG

IMG_3132_thumb.JPG

IMG_3134_thumb.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

A long overdue update... finally put a little Z time in.

Flat white rattle-can paint job, and added the 240z bumper. It's not perfect by any means, but at least the car is one color.

Also switched to those black rims, and I'm currently in the process of installing the Autometer Sport Comp mech oil pressure and clt temp gauges.

IMG_2472.jpg

IMG_2477.jpg

Yeah well, I do like these wheels better than the slotted mags I was running, but the eventual plan is flares and the Rota RB-R's in gun metal. By then the paint will be Midnight Blue or some variation. The black wheels were picked up as part of a bulk buy of parts, so I figured I'd put them to use for awhile.

Finally got my Pallnet fuel rail and 440cc supra injectors installed tonight. The car LOVES them. Even though it needs some serious tuning to get back to normal, I can already tell a difference. Very smooth, pretty nice and torquey. Definitely cleaned up the engine bay too, looks much nicer now.

Now once my turbo feed line parts come in I'll be all ready for the swap.

IMG_3232.jpg

IMG_3230.jpg

Edited by SuperDan

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to do the responsible thing and put off the turbo swap till my daily is back up, and after Branson. Instead I'm focusing on all the aesthetic improvements I've been putting off.

- Mount and wire the new Autometer gauges that have been dangling (done).

- Finish installing the power locks so i can get the door panels back on (in progress).

- Swapping to some borrowed non-melted tail lights and putting the rear interior pieces back in.

- Possibly chop the front springs to match the rear, as a temporary fix till coilovers.

- Put in the new tie rod ends, and repack and torque the front wheel bearings, + alignment.

- Fix my gas leakage issue when the tank is filled over half full.

- Fix the melty wiring on my electric radiator fan, temporarily or wired into Megasquirt.

- If time allows install the new CNC EDIS parts to hopefully help the EMI issue.

- Touch up the paint job a bit, and temporarily put the fuel door back on.

• 3 weeks later...

Whelp, Branson Z Fest is over, which means it's time for my turbo swap.

From the previous list I still need to install my new CNC EDIS parts, put on the new tie rod ends and get aligned, and fix the leaky gas tank.

Assuming I get my daily driver back up by tomorrow, i'll gather up the remaining tidbits I need and swap motors next weekend. Before then I need to:

- Run by a shop and get a 02 bung and 2.5" 3 bolt exhaust flange

- Get my hands on a 2.5" silicone piping coupler and clamps

- Buy a new intake/exhaust manifold gasket

- Buy a tap to relocate the IAT sensor into the intake manifold

Everything else should be ready.

Turbo motor swap completed over a period of about 30 hours. Started tearing down Friday night around 3, and had it running last night around 8.

I need to finish welding up the exhaust before I can do any tuning. Having the WBO2 about 1/4" from the end of the exhaust stream was useless. The idle was nice and stable though, and it seems like everything is going to work out.

Also, my turbo oil feed is leaking a bit, so I need to track that down. I also need to block off the dizzy port and mech fuel pump port in the head. Other than the exhaust, and figuring out how to attach a cone filter to the turbo, all that's left after that is tuning. W00t.

Here are some of the select pictures. Notice the brilliant use of a spare tranny, in place of a clutch alignment tool.

IMG_3176.jpgIMG_3182.jpg

IMG_3187-1.jpgIMG_3188-1.jpg

IMG_3214-1.jpgIMG_3216-1.jpg

IMG_3230-2.jpgIMG_3239-1.jpg