HybridZ

How to form clear plastic

OlderThanMe

I have been looking at how to form thicker clear plastics with compound bends (headlight covers and other stuff).

Here is some info that I have found.

Philco forum post on thin plastics

Hobbiest vacuum forming:

www.warmplastic.com

Another very good page on DIY vacuum forming

I don't think I want to do vacuum forming... I want to use thicker plastic(like 1/8"-1/4" thick) and be able to form it over a mold.

Any ideas?

*edit*

Inspiration Ferrari:

w100482357.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vacuum forming gives great detail but for your Ferrari inspiration and using thicker materials do a Google search on drape forming. Simplier shapes but you can create inexpensive wood male molds, heat your clear sheet material and drape form it over your mold to create your part.

Vacuum forming gives great detail but for your Ferrari inspiration and using thicker materials do a Google search on drape forming. Simplier shapes but you can create inexpensive wood male molds, heat your clear sheet material and drape form it over your mold to create your part.

So would I just be able to use a hot air gun to form the plastic over the male mold? (like a hair dryer on steroids...)

I don't want to transfer any fingerprints or woodgrain onto the plastic.

I'll get some materials and play with it some.

Oh man do i have some stuff for you.If you havnt been here before check it out,especially the pourable clear plastic.They have many different types-stuff is crystal clear,strong and did i mention pourable!.

*edit* oh yea the link :-)

http://www.rubbermoldcompounds.com/trialKits-Rigid.html

That is some cool stuff!

Its $150 for a gallon of clear though... A little prohibitive for my costs.

Some of that $50/Gallon would be good though for other custom parts that don't have to be very pretty or are going to be painted.

So would I just be able to use a hot air gun to form the plastic over the male mold? (like a hair dryer on steroids...)

I don't want to transfer any fingerprints or woodgrain onto the plastic.

I'll get some materials and play with it some.

Ideally you need to heat your sheet material in an oven so that when you drape it over your mold it distributes evenly. The wood mold is typically sanded smooth and primed so that it won't transfer any wood graining. I run into projects at work that require this type of application occasionally so I'm no expert but was trying to pass on my limited knowledge. I did a Google search and this appears to be a descent write up. Click here.

That is some cool stuff!

Its $150 for a gallon of clear though... A little prohibitive for my costs.

Some of that $50/Gallon would be good though for other custom parts that don't have to be very pretty or are going to be painted.

The clear casting materials from Smooth On are very cool but very expensive and very difficult to work with. Once you mix the 2 parts you've got to put them in a vacuum chamber to eliminate air bubbles while you're casting them. We did an 8' tall Buddha using the Smooth On Clear Cast last year and it was very cool but very difficult as well. Not something you want to play with on the hobby level.

finalbuddha2.jpg

Experiment with some 1/8" lexan. Get a large salad bowl or form in the shape you want. Put a bunch of heavy sand in the oven and bake it to about 200-400 degrees (whatever will form the lexan) then take the sand out of the oven and place the sand or sand bags on the lexan. Hopefully with the heat and weight of the sand, it will form the lexan into the mold. I don't know if this works but it's an easy experiment.