HybridZ

Homemade S30 Faux Rally Zweetness (Video)

OR-JO

So I was digging around the NASA website and noticed this banner atop their rally section:

nasa_S30.jpg

Clearly that's an S30 on the left.

From what I've seen, there's little talk on this board about Z Rally setups, probably for good reason.

But, knowing somebody out there is Rally Racing their Z, I thought I'd try my hand as well.

Zrally_web.jpg

< v i d e o l i n k >

2263554770_698b244606.jpg

Dirt is fun.

Cool video! I also like the soundtrack... Isn't that ZZ Top? :D

OTM, that's not a rally car... It's a hillclimb racer - hillclimb cars are much more similar to all-out track racers than rally cars. The fact that some of them are based on group A or group N rally specials is a whole different matter. :)

Or-Jo looks like you have enough room to really try out your skills off pavement.

Might be a good idea for my Project 2008 car since it has so much body rust that I am having to cut everything up anyway.

NASA has a rally division and I could hook up with the guys at Grassroots Motorsports magazine. They are building a car to do rallying.

Tom

OK, I watched the tarmac rally Z and just like other Z videos, I noticed that the car actually wobbles the weight fore and aft and lifts the inside front wheel when cornering hard. My only personal road race experience is with AWD cars which act a little different. To me, the wobbling looks like suspension that is underdamped or simply too softly damped AND sprung, etc. That certainly can't be optimal to see it 'pendulum' like that...

Rally cars are a lot different than road racing...

Springs are longer and softer. Weight transfer to the rear wheels is for better traction on dirt.

I was referring to the tarmac youtube video. Is it that that car is actually a dirt rally Z and that's why the suspension was so soft while it was going around corners on the tarmac? It was essentially config'd for dirt? I've heard other ppl say that the front inside tire lifts on road race Z's. It just seems strange to me; or are you really on the throttle that hard in corners with this chassis? (this could be getting a bit off topic; I can retract and start a thread...)

Mark

Thanks, you guys. I definitely brought out the cameras with the HBZ board in mind. I've been wanting to edit some sort of driving footage to that ZZ top song for a while...

Here's a few more shots:

Zcar_dirtgood.jpg

Zcar_stance.jpg

Zcar_dirtyback.jpg

And here it is all cleaned back up after the shenanigans.

Zcar_washed.jpg

MOPAR69 SAID: " I have to say, Or-Jo your car is one of the best looking unrestored/different colored cars. Love the colors/stance."

- I know, isn't their something odd about the randomness of the paintwork that just screams "character" from the car? I've even had some people go so far as to tell me to not repaint the car - just kill the rust. Yeah, the paint is pretty cool, I think!

I guess the car was actually vandalized many years ago b/c I didn't even read the title until we got home and found out it was branded (salvaged).

The stance I have to say is benefiting from my lack of funds at this point. If I had the money I'd probably already messed with the wheels or tires setup. DEFINITELY the car needs some suspension work - man that thing handles gushy. Lot's 'O' roll. I'm glad you commented on the stance b/c I look at it sometimes and think, "You know, those 14" rims really aren't that bad - maybe if I just get some new tires?" And then I drive it and also really think I need to go a lot wider with the wheels (but I don't want to run flares), and I also think the car needs to be dropped an 1" or 1.5".

I don't know really what to do at this point. It sure is fun!

MJL SAID: "It looks like your Z has a really nice body, try not to mess that up"

- Every panel is straight, too. Little rusty on the nose and 2 spots on the rockers, but yeah, really not too bad. I lucked out, mostly. I don't plan on doing too much more home-rallying (if at all), so the car should stay pretty straight.

REDEVIL SAID: "now i know it says your car is stock, but your engine sounded pretty badass....is that from an exhaust leak? when i got mine finally running, it sounded like that but it was leaking from like 3 spots on the exhaust..."

- Precisely. Stock setup all around, original L28 with stock manifold dumping right after the bend into the transmission tunnel. PO had installed a...long ass cherry bomb "muffler" that I recently removed (sounded stupid) and leaked horribly. I agree, the open exhaust sounds pretty cool especially at open throttle. It's not deafening inside the cabin, but it would get very old if the car was a DD.

Currently the car is parked until further notice because I have to get the exhaust fixed. The fumes are too bad, really. It was fun but I came out of the rallying with a decent headache - car needs a tuneup too, it runs very rich (as you can smell).

Mechanically it's pretty untouched since I bought it from the PO save for some interior work I've done and addition body work. All the black is POR-15.

That linked to bad videos that I have since sent around... Those guys mudding the 280ZX are a blast. From what I can tell, they ran it into a tree, mudded it, and generally bombed around in the boonies.

The sharp video production skills are nice, but the ham-fisted hilarious attempts at documentation that are linked together on the youtube page make for entertaining viewing. The 280ZX they use sounds pretty bad as well. And they really beat it. I'm going to stop there, before I get in trouble...