HybridZ

Stick with stock fan, or go electric?

Pilgrim

The car: 1983 280ZX turbo, about 115K miles.

Body/motor condition: excellent.

Last weekend I changed the water pump (1st time), and in doing so discovered that the plastic fan blades on my '83 ZXT have a couple of significant cracks. They aren't going to break this week, but I don't need to keep driving it for very long before fixing this.

The question: replace the plastic fan blades, or change to electric fan cooling?

I don't really mind the characteristic Z fan noise, but I could live without it. Fan blades appear to be available used on Ebay in the $40 range, and installing a set of replacement blades probably could be done in an hour or a bit more.

OTOH, there is a fair amount of info out there on changing to an electric fan. I might gain a couple of net HP, but that's not a deciding factor. I could go new with a variety of options ranging from twin 10" fans to a single larger one, or I could go used, with a fan taken from a Taurus. If I go with new fans the cost will start at over $100 and could go to $250 or more depending on the kit I buy. If I go used, I can get a Taurus fan inexpensively but also will need to arrange power connections (not a big deal) and create a thermostat control setup.

I should mention that the cooling on this ZX is great in most weather, but I've been trying to get the AC booster fan to work for two years with no luck, and in 90+ weather in stop-and-go traffic I need to kill the AC or it will overheat. Without AC running, no heating problems. (I am very frustrated with that AC booster fan.)

I welcome a discussion of the pros and cons of making a switch. :hs:

howabout search!!!

this is by far one of the most fruitless post on HBZ

Ya, I'm with frank on this.

But I'll still give my input. The stock fan has a clutch, and takes VERY VERY Little HP from the engine. You'll feel a responce difference, but actual measured HP in the main power band would be insignifcant.

Though since you're running just fine until you switch the AC on, I'd recommend pulling off the AC fan and wiring in a better, higher flowing fan. You should be able to use the same wiring, just check the voltage that fan is getting when on. If it's direct battery current than almost all of the aftermarket fans will work, and you won't need to spring for a model with a thermostate/control switch. Just make sure it's setup to push, and wire it in.

The extra flow actually make driving with AC on in traffic better than with the AC off, though that's a crapshoot. Nothing to bet on.

Most of the aftermarket efans don't move as much air as the taurus fan. But on my 73 with AC, the taurus fan was too deep to fit so I couldn't use it. So I went with 2 x 12" from ebay mounted side by side. I've had this setup for two summers now and it works great with one exception: can't drive in stop/go traffic in the summer with the AC on without the temp climbing too high. Oh well... it's not a daily driver anyway. FWIW, I'm using the 4 row MSA radiator.

Edit: I went with the 2 x 12" instead of a single 16" for three reasons:

1) they weren't as deep so fit better.

2) the motors are offset from the center of the radiator so don't come as close to the spinning studs on the water pump that used to hold the fan clutch.

3) In case one fails, at least I still have some cooling.

Edit #2: You may want/need to upgrade your alternator. The stock alt on an early Z won't put out enough current at idle to run the fans and headlights without having the battery "contribute". On your later ZX it might be better, but be prepared to upgrade if it isn't.

Most of the aftermarket efans don't move as much air as the taurus fan. But on my 73 with AC, the taurus fan was too deep to fit so I couldn't use it. So I went with 2 x 12" from ebay mounted side by side. I've had this setup for two summers now and it works great with one exception: can't drive in stop/go traffic in the summer with the AC on without the temp climbing too high. Oh well... it's not a daily driver anyway. FWIW, I'm using the 4 row MSA radiator.

Edit: I went with the 2 x 12" instead of a single 16" for three reasons:

1) they weren't as deep so fit better.

2) the motors are offset from the center of the radiator so don't come as close to the spinning studs on the water pump that used to hold the fan clutch.

3) In case one fails, at least I still have some cooling.

Edit #2: You may want/need to upgrade your alternator. The stock alt on an early Z won't put out enough current at idle to run the fans and headlights without having the battery "contribute". On your later ZX it might be better, but be prepared to upgrade if it isn't.

Thanks, that's helpful. I'm more and more inclined to go electric, but I need to measure the room available between the rad. and front of the water pump pulley to make sure that I can fit an appropriate fan in there. The side-by-side fans are generally a lot more expensive, but if it doesn't fit...well, it doesn't fit.

I also JUST had the alternator rebuilt at a cost of more than $100, and I think I'll check the amp rating on that ZXT alternator. I'd prefer not to have to replace a brand-new rebuild......:frown: