HybridZ

Who Here Commutes on a Bike?

JustinOlson

I used to...

Till my roommate broke my finger and I couldn't stop as my brakes are crappy enough already and I can't exert much force with the broken finger...

But I should be back on it soon. It's an old 70s Nishiki I got for $30 from Goodwill. A little WD-40, some chain lube, and it works great!

It sure beats my 30min walk to class =(

Mario

I lived at school and only had a Mongoose XR-200 mountain bike to get around town. Worked good until the chain came off in top gear while standing on the pedal and literally broke my face . I was about 2 miles from campus with another 3 miles to wally world (wal-mart).

I had made the trip every week with 24 mountain dew cans in my backpack on the way back from the store as well as any other little goodies.

Hope to get another bike this year...

Hi Justin,

I commuted on my Aprilia electric bike to work for about 9 months (~1800 miles).

Be REALLY freaking careful around cars. DON'T assume they see you!! Or will give you the right of way!!

Even though we have bike lanes in PDX (the most "bike friendly" city in the USA), almost every week there is a hit-and run, and about once a month a bicyclist gets killed.

I rode a bike everyday to work the gym and then home. I followed all the laws and had all the equipment. That is untill 2 months ago when I was hit. Now I dont ride but drive to the chiropractor three times a week. The worst part is she has a crappy insurance carrier and I havent seen a dime. Not even to replace the bike. Trust me, my insurance and I are fighting this tooth and nail. I loved riding it was awesome. Just do as was stated in the above posts. NO DRIVERS SEE YOU.

I work hard every day, personally I perfer to have the horses do the work and yes I beat them hard!!

I alway consider that if I only had a desk job I would need to have a physical "out".

P.S. Massive arobic activity is hard on the body, joints only last so long. If you don't believe me ask the booming baby boomer generation's people, the joint replacement industry is boooooooooming!

Me and a group from the office ride during our lunch break 3x a week. It is a full on beat each other up sprint for an hour. Well usually cover 17-19 miles. Its great for stress releif, and fun to talk @#&* on each other out on the road:razz: The technology in the bike business is simply getting crazy

I go to college in a bike town. I ride everywhere between 2-8 miles a day. I used to like riding a lot, but I personally feel like maintaining a bike is a PITA if you ride every day. The brakes wear out, things break, tires, etc. Its not bad for what you get, but it is far from enjoyable in the rain even with fenders. Albeit I only have a generic mongoose which is a bit small, set with 1 gear, albeit upgraded the brakes to V's.

The fun part about riding a bike around in a bike town is riding through traffic. Its a great rush, but can get a bit touchy if your not careful. Its mainly the other people who cut you off and don't know how to yield at the entrance to the round about.

I think having a good high quality road bike is the key to success, unfortunately those are expensive and are much more desirable to steal around here.

when is was racing bikes, i rode to and from work every day as part of working out the kinks from hard training days or races. definetly watch for cars as i have had to make sudden turns with the car to avoid being on the car. maintanience s not to bad on bikes. what does wear out is usually pretty cheap. when is was living in albequrque, i rode with the nerds from sandia nat. labs on their lunch break. that was a hammer fest.

watch for cars not in front but all around you. and always WEAR a helmet. i have a large collection of helmets through the years that are trashed. many cuncusions and now have cataracts in my eyes from head trama.

great exercise and easy on the joints, unlike running.

jimbo

i have just started and i love it. i take BART most of the way, but i bike about 5 miles total and in the shape i am in right now 5 miles is just about right. i haven't had the best of luck so far because i have only biked twice and have already gotten a flat, broken my derailer, and i almost got run over by an old guy who ran a red light.

i got a old Peugeot from the 80's for free and put like $100 freshening it up and it rides nice, i just got to get those brakes working better.