HybridZ

air scoops on the 1/4 window - opinion

VinhZXT

Guys,

I got to ask you guys for help on this one. As some of you might know I am building the Nalle Daytona Coupe and I am in the process of addressing the 1/4 window air scoops. The kit supposed to come with the plexi glass air scoops and they are supposed to be bolted to the side windows. I don't like the way the plexiglass scoops look so I am building them out of fiberglass and mold them into the 1/4 instead. I just finished installing one and I want to hear some opinions on it. So here are a few pictures. I plan on painting them the same color as the car. OK let me hear your opinions guys. Thanks

V.

2079260_355_full.jpg

2079260_356_full.jpg

I was afraid of the pressure build up that's why I left a small openning. The original plexiglass doesn't have the openning in the back. I can't imagine how I will blend it in with the rest of the body with that openning in the back. So this is purely an experiment but I don't want to have to redo it.

I was thinking of removing the glass and put in a piece of plexiglass. Then cut a hole in the plexiglass and build a sliding window behind it. This will get some fresh air into the cabin if I open up the sliding window. I don't think the brake duct will work since I don't think this car will ever be on the track. Maybe a 1/4 mile track. I am still waiting for more opinions before I start on the other side. Thanks for the responses.

V.

Vinh,

My 2cents - the factory five coupes have the scoop with a sharper edge at the top and a broad arc at the bottom. They all appear to close off the scoop at the back and do not have an opening. It fits the lines of the car well, in my opinion.

Are you concerned with water drainage? Even if you don't drive it in the rain you still will wash the car.

Mike,

Thanks for the response. I realized the FFR scoop is different than mine. I am not too worry about trying to make it looks like the original or FFR. This Nalle Kit is not that close to the original. So I am just trying to make the whole kit looks better. For the water drainage I will block the inside of the scoop and make the water drain to the front of the scoop. Again I was worrying about the pressure build up inside the scoop. That's why I have the openning in the back. Based on the FFR scoop I guess I can actually close this openning without worrying about cracks in the future. I do kinda like the openning in the back of the scoop though.

I mentioned the hose to the wheel well mostly for relieving the pressure. It would be a short run from the window, straight down. The extra brake cooling would only be a bonus.

As long as you're going to be covering over the window...

You could fiberglass a flat sheet just over top of the window, leaving an inch or two at the back uncovered. Over top of this you could put your scoop and blend it into the body. The inner fiberglass would cover the window making it look a little more factory, and prevent water from building at the base of the window. Done this way too you could open the window when you wanted to and the space at the back of the inner sheet would let the air into the cabin without blowing all over the place. It would probably be easier than putting in a plexiglass window.

I've always subscribed to "form follows function". A scoop should at the very minimum appear to function as such. I'm concerned that a sheet of glass that is bowed around the window opening will not provide the "look" you desire (in the long run). I would seal it in back so that it at least looks like it functions as a device to collect or direct air flow. In regards to pressure, it will not be as high as you think. When I was measuring pressure increase with speed on an isolated ram-air set-up on the front bumper, I found pressure was almost insignificant even at 60 MPH. at 90 MPH it started showing a rise with increased speed. Lastly, I'd incorporate a means of using fasteners to hold it on from the inside of the car, and not bonding it; Especially due to the water issue.

You can form some types Plexiglas by heating in an oven and laying it over a mold. The mold need to be perfectly smooth, the plastic will pick up any imperfection. I think you idea looks neat but needs to be functional ie brake cooling ducts.

I recessed mine. I remember seeing a really nice vent panel on a high-end sports car once long ago, but for the life of me i cant remember what it was. I freehanded the lines so it would take the upsweep from the door, and continue it through the curve on the t-top's. I'm planning on making panels that I can bolt in place inside the recesses. They're deep so I have plenty of options. I haven't decided yet whether I want to make them functional vents or not but I've left the option open as well. One idea I'm seriously thinking about is to mount a lipstick camera in the vent panel (discreetly) and put a video monitor on the interior where the panel is. That way when I instinctively go to look out the missing window, I can actually see what's in the blind spot. I considered scoops as well, but I figured with the other mods I was doing, it would really look like I was trying too hard.

DSCF2955.JPG

I recessed mine. I remember seeing a really nice vent panel on a high-end sports car once long ago, but for the life of me i cant remember what it was. I freehanded the lines so it would take the upsweep from the door, and continue it through the curve on the t-top's.

One idea I'm seriously thinking about is to mount a lipstick camera in the vent panel (discreetly) and put a video monitor on the interior where the panel is. That way when I instinctively go to look out the missing window, I can actually see what's in the blind spot.

Very impressive body work! I hope you'll keep us up to date.

260Mopar

DirtyRat.jpg

Thanks for all the inputs. I am still following this thread. I think I will leave it the way it is for now. I had finished the other side also. I will do a little body work and primer it and see what it looks like. This is not etch in stone yet so I can always go back and redo it and close the back openning after the frame restoration. After the frame restoration that's when the body panels will go on the car permanent. I am still have plenty of other things to work on before the frame restorations. So please keep the ideas coming.

ShoZ,

Thanks for the tips on how to make the plexiglass scoop. If it the fiberglass doesn't work out I might have to go this route.