HybridZ

Steering column spring with picture

You need a steering wheel puller and installer set to compress that (well, not really need, but it sure makes it alot easier to reinstall the steering wheel). It has a piece in it that threads onto the end of the shaft and a spanner that goes on that, then you turn the thumbscrew to compress it (the steering wheel must be in place to do it)...They're available from most auto parts stores for under $20...

Well I've never had that apart on my 280ZX but I think late model GM steering columns are similar. Was there some kind of "C-clip" holding the spring down?

On GM's there is a special tool that threads onto the steering shaft with a bracket that pushes the spring down while you screw it down onto the shaft. I have seen guys put these back on with out the tool but you need some really strong fingers and a helper to put the clip in while your pushing down. It's not a one man job by any means. If you can find a tool for this you might need some help from some buddies.

Guy

Hmm, something is yelling "special tool" in my head. No, that's not a hidden insult. :D You might need to visit a shop that rebuilds steering columns to see if they have a tool for compressing the spring that allows you access to the retaining clip. I would be stacking sockets, lengths of pipe, washers and a bearing puller right now trying to figure out how to make my own tool. One of my favorite things is to sit in the garage and try to come up with solutions to situations lke this.

Good luck and definitely follow up!

I searched the web and came across this tool.

21100P5AYDL._AA200_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Steering-Wheel-Lock-Plate-Remover-Installer/dp/B000I135EY/ref=sr_1_20/102-9588701-8455301?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1205762842&sr=1-20

I could see this working for you.

Clamp it to the main column and use the socket to push the spring and clip back into the column. Of course you will need to customize it to fit your column, but it's an idea.

I remember my buddy had this same sort of situation in his ~70 Chevy pickup. He tried for hours to put that clip back on, but it was like the steering column shortened?!

After watching his frustration for a little while, I went under the hood, pushed up on the steering linkage toward the cabin, and Voila! I told him "now that's thinking outside the box...er cabin!" lol. :D

He let the shaft slide down into the column just enough so the clip wouldn't go back on. I don't know if this will help you situation, but it is something to check out.

I just removed the steering wheel hub last weekend on my ZX. I'm soooo glad I resisted the urge to remove the spring because something was tempting me to do so. :lol:

cygnusx1, that's the tool I was referring to. If that center shaft would thread on to his steering shaft I'm sure he could get it to work. He could just get a flat piece of metal, drill a hold big enough for the steering shaft and wide enough to touch both side bars, and then just use it like it's supposed to be used by screwing down the nut above the "u-bend" part.

Autozone probably has this tool for GM's to change out turn signal switches. You can rent/borrow the tool for next to nothing. I would just see if it's the same thread size and go from there.

Guy

thanks for all the replies. and yes I did get the running lights repaired. loose connector fried the plastic and allowed the connector to get loose. squeezed everything down and now good. The moral is don't unclip the spring. I assumed (you know about that) that it had to come out to remove the combo switch thingy. WRONG just needt to loosen the screw some more. What it was is what hughdogz said. there is a flexible rubber piece inside the engine bay which pulls the steering column down. This is why i thought the spring needed to be compressed quite a bit. Not true. If I had a buddy to push up on the steering column no problem but I'm all alone in the dark. Luckily being an old guy I studied catapult technology in school so I did the trick shown in the photo. this then makes it a finger push to get the spring down and the clip back in.

How to_thumb.jpg

• 4 years later...

83 280zx

I hate to hijack and revive an old thread but I made a huge mistake and removed the aforementioned spring the other day..It seems as if there is not even enough room to compress the spring and insert the retaining clip, I would have to compress the spring close to an inch....I have tried pulling on the column shaft while my friend lifts/shakes the column in the engine bay but nothing happens it does not budge...I did notice that the upper bearing retainer seems like it has moved out some as I can see the bearings...

How far or what should the length be from the end of the column shaft where wheel mounts to the bearing retainer inside the column???

Or, how far should the bearing retainer be inside of the column???

If you have any pictures of assembled steering columns please post them...

Thanks