fence post

MaTTSuN

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i am just replacing the banged up bar in front of the rad at the bottom

I have the Rad out for repairs anyways here is some pics

i have some red lines where i want to cut im going to angle the fence tube just like the stock piece but it will be round i think it will look good and its free since i have everything i might even have some 3inch stainless but i dont have a stainless welder just a little mig pak with sheilded wire

what kind of nasty stuff does the galvanized do? ill be sure not to weld it ....anymore yikes reminds me of a funny story back in the day my dad used to cut "sheets" of aspestos with a skill saw..... he is doing well still at 58 hehe

safety is a good thing and thanks for the warning

Matt

car pics 002.zip

The galvanized coating is normally made up mostly of zinc. When heated up by welding, it not only makes the weld look like crap and prevents good penetration, but it also vaporizes and becomes airborne fumes. It has a very distinct smell when you breathe it in. In about 15 minutes to 1/2 hour you get a real bad headache. Long term health effects are probably even worse, think lung cancer, etc. Old timers will tell you to drink lots of milk before welding on galvanized, the theory being that it will coat your stomach and keep you from getting sick. Yeah...... Don't buy a word of that crap. Get a good respirator rated for toxic fumes, and remove as much of the galvanized coating as possible before welding. Even with a respirator, the fumes from zinc burning off will still get into your eyes, they'll be watery for a while afterwards too. You'll want to remove it at least an inch away from the heat affected zone. As you file or grind on the galvanized metal (Wearing the respirator if grinding of course), you'll notice a slight color change when you get through it into the steel under it. Don't just file until it's shiny, look for the change in color to make sure the coating is gone.

ive always been outside when welding galv pipe never had a headache but i will take much better care with this little project thanks for the info Z-TARD

but the round tube will look good right? and it will be much stronger than the stock beat up rusty thin steel.. i guess this is my step one in my frame ridgeding haha

FENSE POST! Why wouldnt you buy a 3 foot legth of known quality tubing????

It seems to me that using a piece of scrap fence post that was made to withstand few stresses seems to compromise your car and safety. My guess would be that fence post tubing is thin wall relative to other tubing.....aka cheap.

Use the right material for a structural component....one with proper wall thickness and engineering consideration.

the wall thickness is pretty good

i was just throwing it out there to see what people think

as far as how strong it would be and safty if u look at my pics the post that i have would be a big upgrade from the stock rotted and patched

i know a guy that has a welding shop im going to see if he has some nice stuff for me

i may not use it but i think the fence post steel would be plenty strong for the cross bar infront of the rad at the bottom

well i started my cutting

im getting some 2x2 tube from a friend its about 2 bucks a foot

he has a welding shop

i took some pics of the cutting

going to moke it up in wood tomorow then make it out of steal sometime this week or on the weekend then weld it on my car

as far as going to the scrap yard for a core that is not even in my brain

i want to make this thing strong not stock

the fence post was just throwing an idea out there i still think it would look nice in round tube i might even go that route still if i can do some bending at my buddys it would save on some welding hmmmm thinking while i type...

anyways here are some pics enjoy

Z front no airdam_thumb.JPG

Z somebodys gonna get cut_thumb.JPG

Z front cut_thumb.JPG

Z front cut top_thumb.JPG

Zfront cut2_thumb.JPG

It will take more than just 2 x 2 welded between the frame rails to make it stronger than the OEM boxed and formed support. The OEM core support distributed the force over a pretty broad area. The 2 x 2, even if welded in the same location will not match the OEM strength (it may in a tension/compression force, but not any twisting).

Yikes!!!

Terry is indeed correct!! you really need something more than that in there.Dont get confused by the stock part it may seem thin and flimsy but its a large stamped box that as a unit is quite rigid yet light,and as you may notice it spreads into a triangular shape at the ends-you would need some gussets going from your bar and them up at an angle to get a similar effect.Even that i dont think is going to do the same.But then again who knows maybe you will be all right.

hmm interesting but i dont see how a rusty dented stock part can be better than a new 2x2 solid frame once i get it on ill see where i can put some gussets

if its all attached at the same point as the stock peices wont it do the same job but better? since its thicker....

hmm interesting but i dont see how a rusty dented stock part can be better than a new 2x2 solid frame once i get it on ill see where i can put some gussets

if its all attached at the same point as the stock peices wont it do the same job but better? since its thicker....

You will want to gusset it for sure. that one bar can bend alot easier then the stock peice. Its simple a triangle is almost impossible to bend a square bends easily.

Yeah, I think there is a under-appreciation for the OEM stampings in terms of strength. There's no doubt that you could surpass the OEM stamping in terms of strength, but it will cost you in weight, time, and complexity to do it.

Your goal obviously has merit, but the implementation of that goal will need to be tweeked. Can you imagine how much cheaper and simpler it would have been for Datsun so simply tie the two rails together with a tube if it would have been just as strong?

well let me clear it up a bit

its not just going to be a tube going straight across, its going to fallow the same bends as the stock lower section did ill make it look pretty much like the stock section but it will be 2x2 and some gussets

it will be nice stay tuned

Matt