HybridZ

chrome trim to black?

wherezmytofu

Find a good powder coater that will acid etch your parts and powdercoat them any color you want. Most of the trim on the first gen Z's is polished Stainless and could also be beadblasted to add some hook for paint. I wouldnt use spray paint on any trim pcs.

Roostmonkey is right Powder is the way to go.... for adhesion and durability its tops....you should be able to find a local shop for decent pricing....I worked in that industry.

Im toying with the idea of coating all my Chrome and SS with DLC PVD coating. It will provide a black Chrome like appearance and will take on the shine and gloss of the base material....so a perfect finish is required. Its a super hard and durable coating....much more so than chrome. Im sure it would look simply amazing! Kershaw knives, Remingtion and even Oakley use it on their products. Im now in that service industry.... dont expect to find a local guy ...or to get decent pricing!

Roostmonkey is right Powder is the way to go.... for adhesion and durability its tops....you should be able to find a local shop for decent pricing....I worked in that industry.

Im toying with the idea of coating all my Chrome and SS with DLC PVD coating. It will provide a black Chrome like appearance and will take on the shine and gloss of the base material....so a perfect finish is required. Its a super hard and durable coating....much more so than chrome. Im sure it would look simply amazing! Kershaw knives, Remingtion and even Oakley use it on their products. Im now in that service industry.... dont expect to find a local guy ...or to get decent pricing!

I dream of black chrome trim! Dude, you have to do it. I wanted this about 10 years ago. You should do a set of wheels, that would be amazing!

Evan

We have done wheels for orange county Chopper. Amazing!!!!!

The coating is applied in a batch process so IF I do this there will be room for others. But please...there is no wagon to jump on ....yet

We also coat piston rings, lifters and wrist pins for a number of F1 and NASCAR teams. Do you recall the recent NASACR engine failures blamed on coating faiure...that was our competitor.

I dream of black chrome trim! Dude, you have to do it. I wanted this about 10 years ago. You should do a set of wheels, that would be amazing!

Evan

Call up one of your local powdercoat shops. You will be suprised at how many different types of blacks they offer. I did mine in 60% gloss black and really like it, but I thought long and hard about going with black chrome. It might also be known as smoked chrome.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay this thread finally made me join. Don't waste your money! You can buy your own powdercoating equipment. I saw it when I was watching the SPEED channel and checked out their website. $70, you need an air compressor and an oven.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=412&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=459&iSubCat=460&iProductID=412

If you haven't heard of this company, I'd suggest looking through their website. There's a lot of cool tools 'n stuff.

Im sure these kits work just fine on smaller parts but most folk have regular size ovens that dont fit window trim and front bumpers.:mrgreen:

Okay this thread finally made me join. Don't waste your money! You can buy your own powdercoating equipment. I saw it when I was watching the SPEED channel and checked out their website. $70, you need an air compressor and an oven.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=412&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=459&iSubCat=460&iProductID=412

If you haven't heard of this company, I'd suggest looking through their website. There's a lot of cool tools 'n stuff.

that is one draw back of powdercoating for the do-it-yourself kinda people. you can sand a chrome piece but you must prime it and treat it like the rest of the car when it comes to paint. i have put candy on trim before without sanding, but with minor scuffing and some clear adhesion promoter.

Im sure these kits work just fine on smaller parts but most folk have regular size ovens that dont fit window trim and front bumpers.:mrgreen:

Window trim miiiight fit. I didn't think about bumpers ... I have a z31.

I haven't seen a kiln before, and don't know their typical size, but a nearby school or pottery shop might let you use theirs.

Ya....you are a Z31 guy :shock:.....side window trim on a S30 is a huge part that would never fit in a home oven unless cut apart.

Window trim miiiight fit. I didn't think about bumpers ... I have a z31.

I haven't seen a kiln before, and don't know their typical size, but a nearby school or pottery shop might let you use theirs.

I wonder if por15 rust protective black paint will stick to the chrome ofcourse after sanding.

I'm also curious. My trim isn't exactly in the best of shape, and I'm not exactly eager to remove all of it and get it powdercoated, or even rechromed.