HybridZ

Seizure at the steering wheel

Well, for awhile now my steering wheel shakes vigorously whenever i am at freeway speeds. I got an alignment and my brakes check and they are all good. But my friend pointed out that my boots for my steering rack is cut open and he said that they are supposed to be lubed. So I am thinking to just buy a whole new steering rack for 300 bucks. Because the rack could be corroded(they have been like that for years) . If there is another way to do this cheap that would be great.

Alot of the people here still have the stock steering rack with no problems. Theres a piece of rubber between the steering wheel rod and rack rod that is called a steering coupler. it sounds like yours may be worn out.

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/PSDC11/23-4161

Thats a replacement. I would replace a $12 dollar part before replacing a $300 Dollar steering rack

So I'm assuming from the post title that the rack locked up on you, hence the "Seizure"? The open boots will allow the ball joints at the end of the rack to be exposed to the elements, which may, with time, contribute to the shimmy of the steering wheel, but not any seizure that I'm aware of.

Alot of the people here still have the stock steering rack with no problems. Theres a piece of rubber between the steering wheel rod and rack rod that is called a steering coupler. it sounds like yours may be worn out.

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/PSDC11/23-4161

Thats a replacement. I would replace a $12 dollar part before replacing a $300 Dollar steering rack

Ya, i replaced that about 6 months ago.

Sorry i missed that,but like with anything it doesnt matter if something has been done if it wasnt done right.

I'll probly put my money on bent rim.

lol, rims are brand new. but ill go do another alignment and balance my tires this week. its damn bad...

I'm not an admin, but at times I can be pretty anal. For search purposes, should this string be titled "Shimmy" at the steering wheel instead of "Seizure". Keeping titles correct helps a lot in searches, and so far I've read nothing dealing with a locked or seized steering wheel or rack (which can happen, but this string does not appear to address this).

I'm not an admin, but at times I can be pretty anal. For search purposes, should this string be titled "Shimmy" at the steering wheel instead of "Seizure". Keeping titles correct helps a lot in searches, and so far I've read nothing dealing with a locked or seized steering wheel or rack (which can happen, but this string does not appear to address this).

sorry about the posting, but I was referring to number 2, not number 1.

Because it does seem like my steering wheel suddenly starts to shimmy side to side violently at 50 mph and up. I thought that "seizure" was a smart word to use. Ill use a more proper car word next time for search purposes.

sei·zure (semacr.gifprime.gifzhschwa.gifr)n.

1. The act or an instance of seizing or the condition of being seized.

2. A sudden attack, spasm, or convulsion, as in epilepsy or another disorder.

3. A sudden onset or sensation of feeling or emotion.