HybridZ

T-Tops

zmaster

Should I put T-Tops on my stock 1975 280z  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Should I put T-Tops on my stock 1975 280z

• Yes
    • No

Are you insane? It's a unibody that wasn't built for T-Tops. There's not enough structural support in the frame rails to hold the car together if you cut a good portion of the roof out. It's been done, but to be safe you would have to add a lot of reinforcements through the T-Bar in the center of the roof and to the frame rails.

I think it would look cool as hell. I remember seeing a photo of an S30 with T-tops from an S130. IIRC, the coupe T-tops will fit better than the longer 2+2 T-tops. The coupe T-tops are almost exactly the same length as the top of the S30 window frame, almost like Nissan meant for this modification to be possible! :D

My only concern would be that you should add reinforcement to account for less torsional rigidity, etc. of the unibody. [edit: naviathan beat me to it!]

[second edit: Okay, after reading the older thead on this, even if properly done, it will compromise the structural integrity of the unibody too much. It's not worth it IMHO. Sorry to be such a floppy-fish about it...]

I never thought of stiifening the car with a cage.... good idea. I need more people to give me their opinions. The whole reason why I want T-tops is because I don't wan't to buy another Z car to restore, because I am already restoring one z car, and I don't want a convertible z, so I chose the t-tops becasue they look great on any coupe or at least to me they do.

I really doubt a "glass shop" is going to do all those mods for you. Your better off finding a custom car builder and seeing what they will charge to make the modifications. What are you expecting to pay for this "operation"?

Guy

Fellows, lead solder holds the Z top on. Those seam cracks near the sail panels are soldered on. What I suggest for a T top is a roll bar connected to the rear strut towers and the towers connected to themselves. Square tubing from the rear towers along the outside frame rails to the firewall with a little reinforcing going up the firewall. Connect the front strut towers to the firewall. For a stock motor and easy driving............ IMO... you do not need anything to re-inforce for a convertible or T-Top. But on the other hand I have a TomaHawk Cobra convertible and I welded in de beeejeezus of re-inforcement. Also a T-Top maybe prove to be energy efficient in a few years where you can forego bathing showers at home and get a good soaking in the Z.