HybridZ

Circuit City messes up civic stereo installation - $12k in damage!

firm

This isn't uncommon and isnt' a "CircuitCity" thing. Any store whose ever installed electronics/audio/video in a car has had or will have issues. The answer is holding the "tech" who did the work responsible. Circuit City in my area has a good rep and the Best Buy has the bad rep. Reason being that Circuit City fired the guy who now works for Best Buy... See a theme here???

Mike

Haha My 87 tempo was worse than that and I still ran it. Inspection didn't care lol.

I don't think that splicing is really a big issue, just how you splice, but the fact that they carried a harness to just plug in everything, makes it just stupid. Could be a case of the author calling CC and seeing if its done, and the tech saying that they didn't have the harness adaptor at the moment, and the author saying "Just get it done", and no one documenting the call.

Seems like CC had the car for a while. Why even do all that work, when you can just wait for an adaptor. And as far as the head unit fitting and all that cutting, They should of called to inform the owner that the unit won't fit into the car because of "said" issue, and ask him if he wanted to come in and choose a different head unit that would fit. I have to admit, the tweeter section was just crap. And IMO cutting anything on an audio install besides wires is a BIG no no.

I personally, would not have any work done (besides maintainence) to a brand new car, for risk of voiding the warranty (I'm to lazy to read, so best to be safe ^^). Which I'm sure the splicing did void it. thinking about it, they could of just used tap connectors.

Never do ANYTHING to a car, untill the warranty is up, except maintainence. Part of the reason price is so high on cars. Seems counter productive to spend money on voiding the warranty. If you REALY REALY want something done to the car, then be ready to study the fine print before doing so.

If you still want a sound system installed. See if a place does installation on european cars. There is a reason why BB and CC don't do installs and on euros, they can't do it properly because part of the engine management system is tied into the stereo some how and the car won't pass IM inspection if aftermarket stereo is installed improperly.

And big names stores that you have issues with, documentation is EVERYTHING. Part of the reason why I carry a tape recorder everywhere I go. never use it but good to know its there. Plus its saves SO MUCH TIME when you threaten someone with there own word.

As far as what I think will happen. He will either get his compensation, but it going to take forever for him to get it, or its going to be messy because of the press its been getting. i could be wrong :P.

What did they do to fix it all? Did they?

The guy has been told that it does no good to contact any CC representative because "It is out of our hands now." He is waiting for CC's insurance company to get with the dealership about the amount. All CC has offered is to cover the amount for the electronics that he bought, but hasn't offered a dime for the damages and the amount that it will take to fix it all.

He now has an attorney and I don't know if you all can see the linkbacks or not, but this has spread across the internet like wildfire. It actually was on Autoblogs front page for a while there.. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing, but what's done is done I guess.

This isn't uncommon and isnt' a "CircuitCity" thing. Any store whose ever installed electronics/audio/video in a car has had or will have issues. The answer is holding the "tech" who did the work responsible. Circuit City in my area and the Best Buy has the bad rep. Reason being that Circuit City fired the guy who now works for Best Buy... See a theme here???

Mike

I disagree 100%, holding the tech responsible isn't the answer. As an employer I am responsible for my employees actions. What happens between my employees and myself is my business. But as a business owner, I would have to fix the problem then deal with the employee. IMO you can't say the employee has to be held accountable, as he was "circuit city", he wore the shirt that said so and was at all times representing "circuit city", as such, "circuit city" is responsible since the company is a collective whole, not an army of one individual that made a mistake.

Edit: Someone has to take responsibility, and in this case that isn't happening.

This isn't uncommon and isnt' a "CircuitCity" thing. Any store whose ever installed electronics/audio/video in a car has had or will have issues. The answer is holding the "tech" who did the work responsible. Circuit City in my area and the Best Buy has the bad rep. Reason being that Circuit City fired the guy who now works for Best Buy... See a theme here???

I think Mike has a point that one bad tech can go from shop to shop ruining their reputations and I've seen that happen before. But when you say "hold the tech responsible" that is a pretty loosely defined statement. If you mean that Circuit City should hold the tech responsible, I agree wholeheartedly. He should be fired if he can't do the job. But I'm not sure that the customer or the law should hold the tech responsible.

I disagree 100%, holding the tech responsible isn't the answer. As an employer I am responsible for my employees actions. What happens between my employees and myself is my business. But as a business owner, I would have to fix the problem then deal with the employee. IMO you can't say the employee has to be held accountable, as he was "circuit city", he wore the shirt that said so and was at all times representing "circuit city", as such, "circuit city" is responsible since the company is a collective whole, not an army of one individual that made a mistake.

Edit: Someone has to take responsibility, and in this case that isn't happening.

I agree with Doc here. Having the customer try and hold the tech responsible is not only bad for the tech (and in other cases it may just be an isolated issue that causes a tech serious monetary hardship), but it's also bad for the consumer. If I were the customer and I had 12K damage to my vehicle, I'd want to go after Circuit City, not some half-wit mechanic.

Not to mention if you really had mechanics getting sued all the time you'd probably have a hard time finding mechanics. I think it's analogous to what doctors go through with malpractice cases, but the mechanics don't make anywhere near the same money. Working a job that pays $50K/year if you're really fast, getting paid more for finishing jobs faster, and then on top of that potentially having personal liability for any mistakes made doesn't seem like a good career choice to me.

I feel the need to chime in here. I am an ex. Best Buy installer and Tweeter installer.

What happened to that civic is NOT a good example of a normal day at a chain store. I was a supervisor at my store, and I had good techs. They would never have done anything like that. Bottom line, every shop can have hack installers. Ii don't care how high end they are. Realistically, I was one of the best installers in the district. I regularly fixed problems that other BBY's could not fix or make work.

Yes I worked on European cars. If your judging a shop by the willingness to work on a Euro car your out of your mind. They absolutely suck to work on, and if someone turns you away it may be because they are smart enough NOT to risk your car. I did alot of old Benzes too, and I was one of the only shops anywhere in the area that would touch one.

I had a situation occur similar to this in my installation bay. I had an idiot installer butcher a couple pieces of trim on a pretty much new car. That was his last day as an installer, and BBY paid the claim with no questions asked. He was a good guy, but exercised very poor judgement. He was written up and moved to the sales floor where he excelled.

Another thing, training is all but non existent in these stores. I personally trained most of the installers that I had. There are often situations where you have to make "the call" as to what to do. Personally? I think this guy made the WRONG choice and should have spoken with the customer.

Evan

BTW, I fixed more then a couple installs from BBY, Circuit and Tweeter. Some from that very Vernon Hills store....

I personally am all about blaming Circuit City.Whether or not the problem is due to the buisness itself they should still burn for it.If any of you want to see the epitome of bad customer service-you will find out when something goes wrong with an order you make through these people.

It has been two months since i ordered an item of $60 value and i still dont have it.Not only that but out of 18 calls i still have not talked to anybody outside of Bombay India and everytime i call they know as much about my situation as when i first called.Not only this but they have lied to me countless time so far.Just venting here but i could go on,if your interested - go to Youtube and look up "Circuit City sucks" nough said.

I figured it might be a good time to point out that the original poster of the thread (the civic owner) has gone out of his way to say that this isn't all circuit city's, but one specific location that he has named.. with a store number to boot.

It's not the fact that one place did such a horrible job that bothers me, it's the fact that it still isn't resolved. I don't see why in the world the company can't just own up to the fact that they hired an incompetent worker and pay to resolve this/fire said employee.

I know that because of that I will not be spending any of my money at any circuit city location any time soon. They're up there with wal mart to me at this point.

Here I have the same type of situation, but different circumstances. My womans daughter went and filled up with gas at a local station. Seemed the bulk plant in Alb. had put diesel in the gas storage by mistake. So the gas station got diesel delivered into their gas tanks by the delivery driver. So, her car started and drove about 20 feet before dying right in front of the store.

The problem was widespread and a number of stations were affected. It was on the local news and in the Sunday paper today. So, now what to do, the bulk plant is suppose to fix the cars, but they want them delivered to Brad Francis dealership in Los Lunas. So the dilemma continues, they are willing to; drain the tank, flush the lines and injectors, replace fuel filter and put some gas back in the car. That's it. Well, what about the full tank of diesel that she paid for? What about towing to the dealership, loaner car, etc. etc, etc. We'll see how that pans out but it ain't looking good. She'll probably be out the full tank of fuel, I'll probably have to tow the car on my car hauler to the dealership, etc. Oh, and now that the car has been sitting there in a parking spot in front of the gas station, someone knocked off her passenger rear view mirror. :lol: It never ends, but the tech person switching valves at the bulk plant is not who I'm looking for to make this right!

My point in the post was as Jon pointed out... This bad tech I'm speaking of almost ruined Circuit City's rep before he got fired from there... Went over to Best Buy and is pulling the same stuff... The store in question in that thread is ABSOLUTELY responsible and should make it right, as indeed they are where the buck should stop. My point was that just because THAT circuit city has a bad isntaller and THAT circuit city isn't doing the right thing, doesn't mean that ALL circuit citys nation wide have poor installation staff.

Mike

Evan, Nothing wrong with what you posted... My point is that bad installers are like bad mechanics and scam artists. ID them, and get the word out that THIS installer is bad news. There's nothing legal that can be done to an installer, and stores have but one option... Fire them. That doesn't mean he won't end up at yet another place. It behooves the consumer to know who is working on their car and what the qualifications are... Or deal with the store trying to make it right, long after the car-B-Que has been put out...

In my example above, friend of mine had been burned at Circuit City on a bad install. They fired the tech and made it right with him. He decided "I'm never doing back there..." Took his wife's car to best buy and the same guy was there, and ended up catching my buddie's wife's car on FIRE in the shop bay.

Mike

My point was that just because THAT circuit city has a bad isntaller and THAT circuit city isn't doing the right thing, doesn't mean that ALL circuit citys nation wide have poor installation staff.

Very true.However i would prefer that peolpe look at the top of the ladder and know that those who really make the companies decisions are corrupt "aholes" who dont actually care about customers unless one of their many unsatisfied makes a stink which could potentially hurt the bottom line,even then i really have to wonder.

In my situation i have only once talked to a rep that appeared to be a little higher up in the chain,when talking to him i told him that my expirience was so bad that i was planning on starting a website called "www.circuitcitysucks.com" after a few seconds he said "i'm sorry sir,is that your query".It seems to me that any large company should have some sort of policy for processing calls made by customers who are that pissed off about something.Funny thing is i'm really not joking about it lol.

In my example above, friend of mine had been burned at Circuit City on a bad install. They fired the tech and made it right with him. He decided "I'm never doing back there..." Took his wife's car to best buy and the same guy was there, and ended up catching my buddie's wife's car on FIRE in the shop bay.

Mike

Mike, thats a damn shame. Shame on Best Buy for not doing appropriate background checks. Some stores are desperate for "experienced" guys. My theory was that if you were jobless and experienced chances are you suck. I did extensive background research (I was well connected) and tended to hire smart and able folks that I could mold into installers. One guy went on to work for a very high end shop.

Did they make good on your buddies wife's car?

Evan