HybridZ

valeo clutch/flywheel kit 189$ (plz RPLy)

DrEaM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/75-to-83-Nissan-280Z-280ZX-Valeo-Clutch-Kit-Flywheel_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247QQcategoryZ33730QQihZ009QQitemZ190207930435QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

my question is will this kit work for a turbo car? it doesn't say anything about being able to fit a turbo... i really need to get a turbo flywheel for my swap and right now i'm on an n/a clutch/flywheel combo..

all i'm asking is are there any suitable substitutes that came off of other nissan models or am i just screwed.. autozone and all those other places don't sell the flywheels anymore

Hmmm, one something like a clutch, pressure plate and flywheel I believe you get what you pay for. Keep in mind that a Fidanza flywheel is $300 shipped and an ACT pressure plate and clutch disk is another $300. I would be leary of a $190 complete kit that includes a flywheel. Then again, that is me.

Bo's point, as usual, is right on the $$. If you want quality, take his advice. If you're like me, cheap and need something to tide you over until you can afford the good stuff, the Valeo might work. I paid $65 for clutch and pp on eBay, under $200 to have a shop in Bakersfield do the install...if it lasts a year I'll consider myself ahead of the game. And so far, so good.

thanks guys for all your feedback.. see what i'm really wondering is whether or not the flywheel is worth a crap.. i already have a clutch (stock turbo clutch brand new sadly) but i really need a flywheel.. there are fidanza flywheels on e-bay also, so i might pick up one of those

• 1 month later...

I'm looking at this kit also. It does sound good to be true, but valeo is the same clutch you will buy from Nissan and we know how well the stock stuff holds up. The original clutch out of my 280et was a valeo and i haven't heard anything but good things about oem in these cars. I am tempted to order this kit just to see the flywheel. 190$ is not a bad price for a turbo cluch set up anyway and you get the flywheel too!! I have a stock 240mm flywheel to compare to also. I am also going to email valeo to ask about their flywheel. I also found a performance valeo slutch set up on ebay for 190$ without the flywheel--decisions -decisions

• 3 months later...

I was making 250ish rwhp and the Valeo set up held up just fine....had the feel of the OEM clutch, drove it a lot in stop n go LA traffic...nothing but good things to say about it. By Friday I plan on having my Rebello head etc on and should be making closer to 325 rwhp, so we'll see how the Valeo clutch handles that.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I got it today and as reported by others the flywheel is plain jane, not lightened as the auction pic would have you believe. Otherwise ok except the pilot bushing is cracked into 4 pieces. Autozone stocks these for about $4 so that's ok. One question. This is the first new flywheel I've ever bought and the surface is all on one plane with a slightly coarse texture. Do I have to have it decked even though it's new? All the used ones I've seen looked more like a brake rotor... kinds smooth and shiny.

I've seen some people install the flywheels with the out of the box texture to them. usually a non-issue.

The shiny ones are re-surfaced or possibly for ceramic-button type clutches that would wear out quickly if they were too rough.

As for the pilot bushing, make sure you push it in a good way into the crank-end. That's the reason my clutch never fully released. The last shop to do the clutch on my z31t made a boo-boo and didn't push it all the way in and it rubbed against the hilt on the small end of the input shaft, and ground itself into the shaft to the point where they were cold-welded kinda thing.

It always had the trans turning.

Good tip! Should I just drive it in until it bottoms out? I just drove it in with a socket until it cleared the bevel so it's only 3/32" or so past the end of the crank. It appears this is far enough to avoid the big part of the input shaft running into it but it's certainly no big deal to drive it in further if somebody has experience otherwise.

The ad says these are for 2+2's so is this actually a 240mm flywheel and clutch? The pics in the ad look like it only has the 6 pressure plate bolts that the 225mm clutches have. Don't the 240mm PP have 9 bolts? I thought that's how many I counted on my buddies flywheel, but I could be off base here.

I'd like to get a 240mm flywheel and clutch for my turbo motor. My stock 225mm clutch can't take the power anymore. This seems like a cheap way to get both and should hold me over for a while. But If I can find a decent 225mm clutch I may not bother.

Anyone with experience want to chime in?

I just ordered one of these for myself. I did a bit of research at Valeo's site before I ordered, and the part number they list for the flywheel in this auction is the 240mm one. The one they list for a 225mm on the Valeo site is a different part number than what is in the auction, so you should be good with it. I haven't got mine yet though so I can't tell you for sure, but from all the research I could do it looked good.

Greg

So this flywheel just ignores the other holes in the PP. I thought I remembered by buddies clutch having more than 6 bolts. I wonder if this could lead to any issues? Seems like Nissan added the extra bolts to the 240mm flywheel for reason.

Zeerari - keep us updated on how this clutch performs with your turbo motor. How much boost will you be running?