HybridZ

600hp??????

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 280ZForce

yeah I saw that too... not too sure about that. Not only would I want to see the dyno sheets, but also videos that prove that's his car on the dyno.

Guest 280ZForce
Actualy guys thats perfectly reasonable, in the book "how to modify your datsun engine" they show a 600 HP l6.

It's not that we doubt the power of the L-series, but with what he describes for the engine, unless he is leaving out details, it wouldn't be capable of it unless he had some serious cash into that engine. I think he thinks with everything he's done he's convinced it would make 600 hp, but might be really surprised once he hits the dyno. Also, maybe his turbo is rated to 600 hp and because he has forged pistons and crank he figures, 600 hp rated turbo, then I've got 600 hp?

Take a look around and you will see not many in the 600 hp range and the ones that are have a crazy amount of $, work & engineering into them. It's no walk in the park. I don't know how well that manifold flows after seeing the intake manifold build thread w/ flow tests.

plus he says "race suspension setup to pin corners" yet the car looks high enough to be a 4x4.

Not doubting that it's a nice Z and performs well and that the price isn't good or not, just stating, it's not what it looks from what he claims it has.

his response:

"Unfortunately the only dyno sheet i had from the previously owner is lost somewhere,and it only verified that the car made at least 548hp, but the owner did say that dyno sheet was made before he added some more modifications, sorry that i couldnt help you on that. If you have anymore questions or concerns feel free to ask."

Hi Guys

Well he does talk of it 'handling 30psi boost' so 600 is well in that frame, providing you have big enough injectors and lots of fuel supply, he's already up on 3inch pipe so air ain't a worry.

I know he's not far off the mark because I had mine on the rollers over here in the UK, at 3000rpm with 18psi boost we had 280hp and 310ft/lb torque to the rollers with both lines going vertical, unfortunatley it was at this time I began to understand the concept of 'boost control':oops::oops: and the NEED for a wastegate:oops::oops:; went home embarassed but educated, just finished adding the gate and some more goodies, just got to tell the ECU it's got a new toy to play with and then back on the rollers later this month, I'm hoping to clear 450 but we need to decide a boost figure, with dash switch selectable mapping I can run three maps 'on the fly', so 3 different boost levels will keep me entertained.

Regards

Nigel

I don't know about 'form follows function'---I'm one of those guys, and for the work you would do to get that power, I would have it a bit cleaner.

And a car that 'once made' any given HP level is just that: "Once Made"....patina comes from storage.

Or another way to put it, Patina comes from Neglect.

And remember, I don't polish my anything...but my engine doesn't look that bad!

I'm tending towards "B.S."

LOL! Good point! WHY THE HELL HAVEN'T WE HEARD OF THIS GUY BEFORE? Haha! He's got some conspiracy going on and I just plain don't like it! :D

Either way, nothing about that thing says over 400hp to me. If it gets 600hp and is 8k, then I bought the wrong car...But still, on the cleanliness thing I would think if you had the mad skills and cash to get 600hp out of an old l28, you'd have a little pride in it and at least wash the freaking thing. I know I would have been sure to not "lose" that dyno sheet that I threw good money at. :D

Even if it's only putting out 400hp... that's still a decent deal with all that it's got.

Gotta wonder why he's selling it, and if he's telling the truth he didn't build the motor, which means you KNOW it's going to come with problem to sort out.