HybridZ

Looking for a fuel efficient car for the wife...

naviathan

The lastest Consumer Report magazine wrote a small article about VW's..

VW has the highest amount of problems per 100 cars than any other company tested!

heads up

I really like the cars they are putting out. That aside, limited frist hand experiance; sucks for maintaince. I wanted to say sooner but limited experience.

VW definately seems to have their problems, but I'd dare say that if most of the american cars built in the 80's and 90's had engines that lasted 300k they'd see just as many other random problems with window motors, fuel pumps, wiring, etc.

In fact my dad bought an explorer back in 03' and had nothing but problems (all replaced by factory). I think he went through 3 window motors on the rear left window... a window rarely ever used.

All companies have their issues, but VW MOTORS seem to be pretty reliable. It's everything else that might be hit or miss depending on what year/model you buy.

If I was looking for something with your requirements I'm not sure what I'd get. Maybe a newer volvo diesel wagon? Those things can TOW. Would make a good tow vehicle for bringing a car to the track. Can lay down some seats and put a tool box in it and STILL bring the wife and kid to the track with you...

Ugly as sin. But safe and economical.

My Mom has an 06' VW Jetta TDI. She loves it. She has the automatic but it has a lot of options for shifting(sport mode, normal mode, and shift on your own). She knocks down 42-47mpg driving to work(30 miles hwy) and some city driving.

I hate VW's because of what I see at work(we have a VW shop at our dealership). It seems like there is always something wrong with them. I must say though that my Mom's car has been great to her, ZERO problems and she already has like 55,000 miles on it! You have to beat on your VW diesel though to keep the intake clean(VW guys told me that).

Guy

Thanks, I'm well aware of the electric swap. Would love to try that one day. The car I need would be good for long trips also. My current line up of vehicles includes the Z cars in my signature, a Harley Roadster and an 89 Ford Ranger. None of which are good gas or good travel vehicles. Especially with a kid.

My brother had a gas Isuzu Trooper II from the 80s. That thing was fugly, but it was damned hard to beat off road. It didn't go fast, but it was a beast climbing dunes and rolling through rivers.

I had an 84 2 door. Loved that stupid little thing...