HybridZ

Jim McNemar's Latest Project

Mikelly

After I posted the pics of Jim's little red Zcar, I got a lot of pms from people asking why on earth Jim would sell such a good looking project car... Guy's this is a Zcar site and all, and we love them.. But there are "other" projects to fall in love with too... Like this, Jim's latest ultimate track build 2008 Z06...

goingonthelift.jpg

engineremovalfrontside.jpg

engineremoval.jpg

driveassembly.jpg

rearsuspensionanddrivetrainremoval.jpg

spokecloseup.jpg

startofproject.jpg

stockunderside.jpg

DSC09168.jpg

DSC09164.jpg

DSC09152.jpg

DSC09160.jpg

And the final product...

DSC09334.jpg

JimwiththeZ06.jpg

DSC09379.jpg

atspeedonslicks.jpg

Jim Actually flew out to Texas last weekend and spent a couple days with Lou G. and his team testing the car at Texas Motorsport Ranch. The car comes home from Texas on Tuesday, and Jim loads it up and will have it out at Mid-Ohio Friday - Sunday.

Mike

So what was done to the new 2008 Z06 that it didn't already have???

On most new Corvettes there are a few areas that will crop up under heavy track day abuse. The new, massive brake system on the Z06 really isn't all that good. Most serious track junkies will replace them, as was the case on Jim's new car... The upgrade was to the Brembo 15inchers up front and I believe the 14.5 inch rears. The leafspring/shock setup was also scrapped for LG's new coil over/external shock setup. New hubs/bearings/ drop-spindles were also used to get the geometry correct for the suspension. Another area that I simply hated on my old C5 was carried over to the new C6... The "torque tube". Well, LG Motosports replaced Jim's with a carbon fiber unit that should be bullet proof when fighting off the torque that the new cam/header/ head mods gave the car, along with software tuning to improve and take advantage of the internal changes...

Another area where new Z06s suffer is GMs pathetic attempt at a drysump. LG replaced Jim's oil pan, lines, and dry sump tank with custom pieces. The oil pan is a custom one off design, and Jim has one of two in the world. LG has the other on his ALMS race car.

So, beyond the aero mods (Straight from the SWC and ALMS parts bin) and safety mods (Seats/ harness/ roll bar not seen in the pics and installed after the test session), the car is pretty much ready.

You'll notice in the pics there are two different sets of wheels... one set is the red lipped custom forge lines. The other is a set of CCWs that Lou mounted some ALMS slicks on for the test. I'm sure there are other items I'm forgetting, but this little red corvette is now perfect and ready for track days up and down the east coast... LG says the car should be putting about 540HP to the rear wheels. Jim should get the dyno sheet and all other pertinent data when the car comes home on Tuesday.

Mike

Sounds like a systematic and well thought-through plan. It would be interesting to compare the “before†and “after†performance of the car – same track, same driver, same tires (as far as possible)

Looks like I am going the wrong way again. I sold my 911 to get back to a Z car mainly due to cost associated with newer high performance cars.

I know if you sit down and do all the math you probably spend close to the same less cost of initial car. I was wanting a track dedicated car only and my budget could not see a 50 to 75K car sitting most of the year in the garage.

But that Vette sure looks sweet along with the 911. Maybe if my 6 numbers ever come in I will go back to that route for track fun.

Tom

Well I think it all boils down to what you want to do...

Jim is not mechanically inclined. He doesn't want to spend time tinkering under the hood, or working on his cars at the track. To that end, his GT3 has been dead nuts reliable and only once straded him at the track when some minor issue caused his tranny not to work getting the car back onto the trailer at the end of a weekend... This is after 3 hard years of tracking that GT3 for at least 25 days per year. All Jim does is replace the brake pads and tires regularly, and have the rotors swapped and fluids flushed on schedule... Jim is a driver, not an engineer or mechanic. He knows what he wants to do, and what he doesn't want to do and he's damned GOOD at what he "does" do. So modern hardware best suits his needs.

Again, it all boils down to what you want to do... Work on them or drive them...

Mike