HybridZ

ka24de-T 240z?

ok long story short i have my 1972 240z in the garage. i go to college and am going to take an engine building class next fall. i was going to build a l31 and turbo or twin turbocharge it. i already have the l28 and the crank to stroke it. but i was thinking of other CHEAP unique options to make large power (between 400-500hp) and thought that since sr20s are constantly dropped into 240sx's couldnt i get sr20 mounts for my Z and drop a KA into it.

I can pick one up super cheap. internals arnt bad price wise then i would turbo it. im sure someone has done this but i did a quick search and didnt find any pics. so would this be a good budget build or what?

and are there any 6 speed transmissions that could be hooked up to a ka24? i love my 6 speed in my RSX-s (which im selling) that extra gear is just fun

I've never seen a completed KA24DET in a Z either.

The KA shares transmissions with the SOHC VG motors I think... I think are the key words there. So I'm not sure what tranny would be the best option, but I can't think of any 6 speed that will be a direct fit.

I personally would find it a very interesting project to follow and I hope you take the leap and do it.

I've never seen a completed KA24DET in a Z either.

The KA shares transmissions with the SOHC VG motors I think... I think are the key words there. So I'm not sure what tranny would be the best option, but I can't think of any 6 speed that will be a direct fit.

I personally would find it a very interesting project to follow and I hope you take the leap and do it.

The KA24 5speed is essentially the same as the Z31 VG30E 5speed, except the KA tranny has stronger internals. In our '86, my father and I got a KA trans for 100 bucks and swapped the internals into our our Z31 tranny.

ok long story short i have my 1972 240z in the garage. i go to college and am going to take an engine building class next fall. i was going to build a l31 and turbo or twin turbocharge it. i already have the l28 and the crank to stroke it. but i was thinking of other CHEAP unique options to make large power (between 400-500hp) and thought that since sr20s are constantly dropped into 240sx's couldnt i get sr20 mounts for my Z and drop a KA into it.

I can pick one up super cheap. internals arnt bad price wise then i would turbo it. im sure someone has done this but i did a quick search and didnt find any pics. so would this be a good budget build or what?

and are there any 6 speed transmissions that could be hooked up to a ka24? i love my 6 speed in my RSX-s (which im selling) that extra gear is just fun

Just to give you heads up, im doing an sr2det swap in my z but its the same stuff you will need for your ka24det.

- custom cross member (welds onto the frail rails and sits further back)

- Drive shaft cut and shortened

- wiring, piping, ect.( stuff to get it running)

if i find a good pic. of the cross member ill post it, you can contact Alex or Adrian from Vildini motorsports http://vildinimotorsport.com/

they can make the cross member for you and you can just weld it in. if your going to do a ka-t swap ya might like to do a top mount intercooler like how im doing mines, since there is so much more space in the engine bay and less ic piping= better throttle response. as far as price wise goes, it depend on what you want to get done, I'm at $6k for all the engine work and fabrication just to give an idea of how much it would cost.

zsr201_thumb.JPG

zsr202_thumb.JPG

yeah i was thinking i would buy the cross member from mckinney, http://www.mckinneymotorsports.com/products i havnt heard anything bad about them so i was gonna buy that crossmember. a ka24 i can pick up a whole lot cheaper then an sr20. that and i need the motor to build for a class and the sr20 internals just seemed more expensive as well. i like the top mount intercooler but im just curious as to how much airflow you'll actually get verses a FMIC. and amoung all other things im trying to do something that isnt done often, or atleast not that ive seen.

i actually live right by vildini and ill probably swing by there some time to ask some questions and see what they think or any info they can give me to help me along the way. im a technician at a shop myself so i plan on doing alot of the work myself which will cut down on costs as well.

I dont know much about the engine/engines but the link below does a compare on the KA & SR. SR20DET v.s. KA24DET Good info...

http://www.drifting.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2427

Alex

wow some real good info and i think that they help justify why im planning KA on a budget. he sad thing bout me is im constantly changing my mind on what engine to put into my z. the possibilities are endless thats why love my Z

for my next project i want to do the kadet or a ford 2.3L, turbo and alot of boost.. gas prices are getting out of control and my 5.7L sucks it down.

good luck with your project.

ps get a complete crashed 240sx or something, make your swap pretty ez

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the process (prolonged process) of dropping at KA-t in my 280z. The chassis isn't ready for the engine yet. And I have yet to source a IC and haven't decided whether I want to run a tuned OEM ECU or run megasquirts. Whats really holding me back it that no one has come up with a wiring scheme for the distributor portion of the MS setup on a OBD-II engine. I came up with one a while back, but I don't want to test that and end up frying my dizzy or the MS.