HybridZ

1981 ZXT Turbo engine with 1983 NA gearbox

Can I replace my 1983 NA 280ZX NA engine, manual gearbox, with a 1981 280ZXT turbo engine, which only came with an automatic transmission? Would my NA gearbox be able to handle the turbo engine adequately, or would I damage it?

From what I've heard, the N/A 280ZX 5-speed is strong enough to handle the stock Turbo engine. It sounds like if you decide to start pulling more power from the L28ET, then you may want to look at upgrading to the T5.

A NA trans is plenty strong. I have run 14 psi with an aftermarket cam and big turbo for 4 or 5 years now with no issues. Tires will spin before any problems. And I drive my car hard (full boost and 6500 rpms every time I get in it). However, the stock NA 225mm clutch will not hold for long. Get a 240mm setup from a 2+2.

I drive my Zs hard and although I haven't tried the T5 I can tell you the NA 5 speeds don't take a beating well. I've been through 4 of them on one Z, but in all fairness to the transmissions they were all well used junkyard pulls that felt fine at first but after a few spirited back road runs they wore out quickly. Current trans seems fine though. It's lasted the longest and was supposedly rebuilt by the previous owner although the shifter is sloppy for a rebuild.

I put well over 220wheel hp and 12psi of boost on my NA tranny and it was perfect, that included several stop light encounters and a few smokeys too. I pulled this tranny from a junkyard car and it was flawless (sometimes you get lucky when you go to the junk yard).

Regards - Yasin

Can I replace my 1983 NA 280ZX NA engine, manual gearbox, with a 1981 280ZXT turbo engine, which only came with an automatic transmission? Would my NA gearbox be able to handle the turbo engine adequately, or would I damage it?

Hi, new to the community here! Still learning about my 81 280 zxt. As for you question if you mean you transmission, i beleive you can. I used a 79 5 speed from a n/a car and it worked. I just had to find a manual pedal assembly and all the lines. Also the drive shaft from the auto wont work. I had to order a new one. Ill try to get you the info on the drive shaft since i had to have a shop finish the job due to my deployment cycle.